226197 Bullies, 4003 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What is chi/ki to you?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • At 1.2 million currently, depending on what I ate for breakfast

6 4.32%
  • Requires me to register my hands as lethal weapons

0 0%
  • An energy field that surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together

15 10.79%
  • The secret to my martial art

1 0.72%
  • Makes me better than I was before. Better, stronger, faster

4 2.88%
  • Bio/magnetic/electric fields/waves/radiation

9 6.47%
  • A chinese concept for unknown phenomenon

35 25.18%
  • The tickling sensation at the back of my throat

7 5.04%
  • Bullshit

62 44.60%
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 1:56am

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Poll: What is chi/ki to you?

Post your thoughts here.

Lets see where bullshido peeps stand on the subject.

To me, it's a(n outdated) chinese concept for phenomenon. No more no less. But it might be the tickle in the back of my throat I get when the season's change.
    Last edited by Darkpaladin; 11/29/2005 2:17am at .

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 2:07am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkpaladin
    Post your thoughts here.

Lets see where bullshido peeps stand on the subject.
    To me, chi/ki is an eastern set of principles that are better explained using specific SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE terminology. This way, bullshido is avoided and concepts are clear.

Chi/ki/qi is also a word that automatically spikes my blood pressure. You should see me gnashing my teeth and digging my fingernails into my palms when the idiot grad student in my Exercise Psychology class spouts off about how focusing his chi improves his meditation, among other things (I am not knocking meditation here, just chi).

I'm pretty sure he's a hippie that does the non-alive version of aikido, too. One day, he will get his. OH YES, he WILL get his . . .
    Last edited by Cassius; 11/29/2005 2:11am at . Reason: forgot something

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 2:20am

Style: Just Muay Thai for now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me it's just air. If you can improve your breathing, you'd be better off in various physical activities than an ordinary person. Perhaps.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 2:21am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When people say "chi means breath, or breathing" that makes sense to me. When people talk about it being energy and ****, it gets into that whole "magic" department (magic being the all encompasing thing used to describe anything that can't be properly explained)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Sexe dans la derrière!

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 3:23am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai Khmer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh jesus, this is going to be fun...

But what the hell. Chi is body mechanics, it's that feeling of "aaah" when you get every portion of your body in correct allignment, keepin' them precious bodily fluids pulsing unhindered. It have been proven that human beings are capable of some strange stuff with the proper amount of single-minded (or no-minded, if you ask the Zen folk) focus, "chi" is just what happens when those dormant synapses in our brains and bodies fire up.

But what the **** do I know.

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 3:36am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfujew
    Oh jesus, this is going to be fun...

But what the hell. Chi is body mechanics, it's that feeling of "aaah" when you get every portion of your body in correct allignment, keepin' them precious bodily fluids pulsing unhindered. It have been proven that human beings are capable of some strange stuff with the proper amount of single-minded (or no-minded, if you ask the Zen folk) focus, "chi" is just what happens when those dormant synapses in our brains and bodies fire up.

But what the **** do I know.
    What strange stuff is that, if you don't mind me asking? I would be REEEEAAAALLY careful about using "proven" when talking about this sort of thing.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 4:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Qi is an untranslatable term for a subjective phenomena. It is "that which animates". It is the difference between dead or alive. It can not be reduced to physics because machines don't have it. You may as well just call it "life force" and be done with it.

To say that you don't believe in qi, essentially says that you don't believe that there is an essential difference between living things and dead. To put it another way, it means that you subscribe to a mechanistic view of the universe and implies that if we look closely enough, eventually we can pinpoint and measure what it is that makes a person dead vs. alive. So far, no luck with that, therefore, no way to define "qi". Nevertheless, most of us accept that the dead can not be brought back to life no matter how carefully we try to put humpty dumpty back together again.

Maybe eventually this will change. For now though. . .
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Seeker of Knowledge

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 4:15am

supporting member
     Style: Chen Style Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Term to describe something that could not be explain, kinda like humours, but also has to do with biomechanics and the like... (I couldnt choose two...)
    "If you can get it from my kungfu grip then you can have it... otherwise... step off b*t*h!!!" - Meet the Parents

"Hetero or Homo I don't see anyone telling him, "NO SIR I WILL NOT TAKE IT IN THE ASS!!!" " - Asia

"My neighbor has what he calls an "immortality potion" that will let you live forever.
    People have been telling him that it's stupid and will not work... for 1200 years." - Leodom

Banish Uncertainty
    Affirm Strength
    Hold Resolve
    Expect Death - read in a book

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/shadowdh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 5:21am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I voted for "bs" because I've seen Ki in action and that's what I thought it was.

And I don't believe anything unless they can be proven logically or scientifically.

Dosen't mean I'm right, doesn't mean Ki exists or not, but that's where I draw the line.

Cos if we don't draw a line somewhere then we're open to all sorts of claims, like little green aliens and **** :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 5:45am

Style: Goju Kai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You didnt put breating per se in the poll, so I opted for The tickling sensation at the back of my throat...then again, said tickling sensation could be semen, which would then raise the question as to why its tickling the back of my throat. I mean, IM pretty sure that chi=\=jizz, but what do I know?
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast