Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 2:36am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKDSystemaBeast
    I'm writing this paper for my bb test, on the benefits of the martial arts. And, in an effort to seem at least somewhat researched, I decided to ask some people's opinions. So, what have the martial arts done for you? Why did you start? What's the average wingspan and airspeed velocity of a swallow?
    Anyways, that's my desperate plea, go ahead and flame me for being in TKD.

I appreciate any help you can give me. I'm really screwed right now.
    Martial arts have made me a happier person. I have a skill that I'm proud of now. I grapple pretty decently for my experience level. I have also proven to myself that I can stick with something for more than a few months without getting bored. I now have a hobby/obsession that I enjoy greatly, and will continue to enjoy throughout my life. I get a sick sense of satisfaction from being sore and beat up all the time.

I could go on with the sap, if you like . . . Oh. I'm also fairly certain I can defend myself to a better degree than I could before.

I started martial arts because I was stuck at home the summer after my freshman year of college, had always wanted to take some kind of martial art, and my friend had the idea to take martial arts to pass the long boring days. Up until I did this, I was always under the impression that Jet Li was a god among men.

And it depends what kind of swallow.
    Last edited by Cassius; 11/29/2005 2:39am at .

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 9:59am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial arts have helped give me focus and discipline as a child, self defense as a teenager, and help with physical fitness and stress releif as an adult. Plus they let me throw people all over to help with my agression so I dont punch co-workers in the face.

Damn I can't wait till I'm ready for some real competition in judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 10:52am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial arts turned me from skinny to skinny but slightly muscular.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 11:07am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    I started training when I was 15. My instructor was an ex-marine from the Bronx, and we actually covered a lot of RBSD neck-breaking Applegate style stuff. This made me become more confident in myself whereas before I was a slightly overweight nerd without very much physical self-confidence. It allowed me to later expand into sport martial arts like judo and kickboxing, and it put me on a path where I eventually learned a lot about health through diet and exercise.

Does that help?
    I bet it does.

I had been getting picked on in High School a bit by a few jocks. A few months into Wado-Ryu I made a mental adjustment. I sure didn't yet have the skills to defend myself, but I decided that **** these assholes, they might be able to beat me up, but I'd take a sharp pencil and stick it in their kidneys, or do chair-fu on the back of their heads. I sat in study hall waiting for the asshole next to me to AGAIN poke me in the ribs, ready to smash his face with a side hammer blow, and it was like I was invisable. They never looked at me again. So it was all mental, or smell, or something. That was a nice benefit.

Then I just kinda got hooked...

Mas have provided me with friends wherever I've lived. Taught me to roll well (very handy mountain biking and falling down stairs), and taught me that I can exceed my concept of my own limitations. As a Kyokushin bb guesting for a month in the instructors' dawn class back in the Wado dojo fifteen years later we did a new kata 18 times in a row with no break and I thought I was going to die and later Shihan Hirano told me, "Pat, you never die from working out hard."
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 11:57am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MA pretty much defined me for the initial couple of years and has very much influenced the person I have become (although still becoming, as I'm still a bit immature for my age (22).) I won't bore you with the initial 'My name is and I was a survivor of...', but y'know. I was painfully shy and reclusive and the thought of talking to anyone I didn't know was enough to give me a panic attack. I'd always wanted to do an MA but didn't have the courage to enter a room of strangers and make a prat of myself (I'm clumsy, uncoordinated, and shite at all things physical.)

Anyway, I did, though I was almost in tears before the class and shaking like crazy. I was told to go and chain punch until someone could come and train some newbie things with me, so I did, and I did not stop. Unfortunately they forgot about me for an hour and a half, and I was a bit tired and knackered my arms.

I fell in love with learning WC and trained my ass off. A training camp came up, a weekend away, and I said I would go even though the prospect of spending a weekend with still-strangers in an unfamiliar place was enough to keep me awake for the next week in terror. But the WC made me do it, made me take chances.

It didn't tell me I had nothing to worry about, though. I was worried that being the only female in the group would make people act innapropriately with me, and it did, and they did. Deep down I was afraid of being assaulted, even, and lo and behold, it happened. But those aside, I took the chances. Consequently I'm no longer as phobic about people and places as I was and can cheerfully go on trips - later to Germany, then Hong Kong and China - with the group without worrying.

So, in summary, they gave me confidence not just by the usual channels of learning self defence and whatnot, but by forcing me to take chances to learn more and therefore defining the rest of my personality.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 4:15pm

Style: Japanese Jujutsu / aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm writing this paper for my bb test, on the benefits of the martial arts. And, in an effort to seem at least somewhat researched, I decided to ask some people's opinions. So, what have the martial arts done for you? Why did you start? What's the average wingspan and airspeed velocity of a swallow?
    Anyways, that's my desperate plea, go ahead and flame me for being in TKD.

I appreciate any help you can give me. I'm really screwed right now.

How old are you?

not a knock on you, but just wandering how old are you and getting a TKD BB.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 4:35pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial arts are great. I have become much more hateful and violent. A waitress accidentally spilled water on me the other day and I beat her senseless.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 6:08pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have heard of a fair few TKD.Karate schools making you do essays for BB. Sucks ne.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm writing this paper for my bb test, on the benefits of the martial arts.
    Dude, you need to write a paper for your bb test??? The only time I wrote a paper on a MA class was when I took Shotokan in my community college. Mind you, the instructor didn't care what we wrote cuz it was a school requirement, not his. As long as we learned the katas and work out until we puke, it was all fine by him.

And why would someone ask you to write a paper as prerequisite for testing you for a black belt? Anyways...

Anyways, I'm a n00b myself, and I'm just taking a coffee break from my desk, so I'm just gonna write the benefits I've had with Martial Arts. It's kinda long, so if you get tired of reading... well.. screw you :thefinger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The first benefit is that it makes me feel more confident. Not in the sense that I can defend myself... I mean, I think I could. I feel more confident because I know I'm improving my fitness level and stamina, and because I know that if I work hard enough and smart enough, I can reach my goals. It makes me healthier, and therefore happier.

I did Judo when I was a kid, so long ago that it doesn't really count. However, in my teen years, I could still remember a few things, which I drilled again and again and again with my cousins and a few friends. A few times I got my ass kicked, but I had a different mindset, a sense of confidence that I would stand up to any jock who wanted to pick up a fight with me. Now that I'm older, I realize that was not really a very wise way of thinking, but it still makes me feel good remembering those days.

2. When I first took Shotokan back in...wtf... 1991, it made me realize how out of shape I was!!!! No endurance or flexibility all. I'd play some b-ball, do push-ups here and there, and worked out at the school's gym. So I though I was in shape. But on the first day at the Shotokan class, man, I though my entrails were gonna come out through my nostrils.

I did that for three months, and to be honest, I didn't learn anything useful when it comes to self-defense. I could do the katas, but so what??? One thing I got was a much better stamina. I felt stronger, and more flexible. After that, I took my work outs at the gym more seriously.

I'm currently taking BJJ classes, and that's kicking my workouts to a totally new level. I've worked out hard for many years, but this is totally different. So, in essence, that's been the main benefit of MA in my life: to make me aware of my physical deficiencies, and to motivate me to work harder.

After dropping from the Shotokan thing, I did Judo and Kempo, and then I learned my third lesson:

3. MA schools are nothing mystical or infallible. Up to that point, I saw MA schools like something above and beyond any celestial temple (dude, I grew up watching MA movies, what do you expect :pottytrai )???

The Judo instructor was good, BUT, he could only afford giving classes mixing children and adults... a situation that was not much of my liking for practical reasons. And there was my Kempo instructor. Pretty good guy as well, but with a school so small (we were only four guys taking his classes) that he had to close down for financial reasons.

So that was my second lesson. There is nothing superhuman or celestial about MA schools. They are human institutions that can come and go. Which comes to my fourth lesson:

4. After watching UFC fights for a while (and seeing for the first time martial arts dudes going at it), and seeing Tae-Bo/cardio-kickbox-crap classes pop up from the ground like daisies, seeing dudes boasting about their MA training, yet couldn't defend themselves, and reading and perusing sites such as this one, I learned that there is a lot of impractical bullshit in martial arts. Most of the stuff I though was real was just poop. Most of the stuff I sought up to that point was just a mere fucking fantasy without any real application... maybe in another universe with different laws of physics and chemistry, but certainly not in this one.

5. Last, but not least: another benefit is that it seems chicks like it: it's a sure thing that after every BJJ class, I end up with bruises in my shoulder to my collar bone. And I've had a few girls asked me how I get those bruises, and when I tell them how, that really opens them up for conversation. I haven't gotten laid yet using that prop, but if I do, I'll update the thread :sex:

So, in summary, those have been the benefits/lessons I've obtained from martial arts. Hope it helps, but I'm still wondering why you need to write a paper for a bb test. It shouldn't be hard for you to write something anyways, for there must be some benefitst you have gotten from your martial arts experiences.

Crap, I drank up all my coffee... time to get back to work.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 7:09pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the Kodokan makes you write an essay for one of the ranks. Kimura (the famouse judo guy who fought Helio Gracie) said he cheated on the written part by stealing another guys essay and putting his name on it. He pulled the switcheroo and and swapped the names. lol.

Kimura said he felt bad about it aftewards. I dont' remember where I read that.

:icon_rr: :bully: :new_xmas: :love4: :5dragon:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast