Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 11:21pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sidemount to mount transition

Recently, as I have gotten better, I have run into something of a problem in my BJJ game. The strategy that has always worked best for me has been pass guard - sidemount - mount - armlock submission. However, as my passes have improved I have been able to pass the guards of better and better people - people that use the transition between side mount and mount to sweep you or put you back in their guard.

Therefore I'd like to get some input from JohnnyS, Yrkoon9 and the other experienced BJJ guys on what techniques to use, and what to think about when transitioning between these two positions. When I say sidemount I am referring to hold downs 1 (far arm underhook and the other arm around the head) and 2 (the modified kesa gatame).
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 11:42pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well somethin thats drilledinto me is to make sure you take care of their elbows, don't let them block your knees, and for kesa, remember to get that knee up under their shoulder.

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 11:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my good friends and fellow black-belts, "Big" Dave Krstic, is an expert at getting, keeping and finishing from the mount. He generally goes straight from passing the guard to mount. Here's how to do it, but it might not translate very well without pictures.

I'm in my opponent's guard, he's got both of his hooks in. I first get an underhook on my opponent with my right hand (grab the back of his collar if possible), bring my right knee under his left knee and across his body then sprawl so his left leg is over his right leg. My opponent should now have his back flat on the mat, his right leg straight and his left knee bent with my right knee on the floor between his legs. I lift up his right arm with my left hand and bring my left knee under his armpit. When my opponent tries to straighten his left knee to stop me bending his spine, he gives me the mount! It's very important to keep your underhook *tight* so that he can't move back and away from me.

Dave started doing this as a brown belt and has gotten ridiculously good at attaining and keeping mount. So try and work this a lot - it's definately worth it. After a while you'll see there's ways to use this same setup to get mount from side-control.

When doing the traditional "swat-the-fly" mount from side-control, you need to make sure you get his closest arm up near his head. So if I'm on my opponent's right side, I switch my base to the rear and use my butt to move his closest arm's elbow up parallel to his shoulder so that when my right leg goes over to mount him, his right elbow isn't working on my left knee to put me straight back into half-guard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 1:52am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In addition to the advice you received above, if you are having difficulty getting mount on one side, I often find that coming around from side control to north-south to the opposite side often helps to gain the mount, as you gain better control over the head and shoulders whilst transitioning.

Whilst it wasn't requested, I may as well throw in the opposing transition that I always have found more difficult then gaining the mount: Bailing from mount to side control.

Firstly, lower your weight to control your opponent's upper body. Pick a side to bail to, then slide the foot on the opposite side over your opponent's body horizontally over the gut/hips towards your chosen side, leaving your shin to control your opponent's hips. Don't dig the knee in. The top of the foot you've just moved should be touching your opponent's ribs.

Now, move your base and slide your leg off with your weight on your shin. You should find it fairly easy to move straight into side control without getting your leg caught.