Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    12/02/2005 6:23am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to hook kick the body (liver) or leg if it opens up.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2005 8:15am

supporting member
     Style: Goju, mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter
    Hook kick is a tricky kick to pull off well, for most its probably not worth bothering with...

But, it can be made to work for some people. Even then its not a primary weapon, only a weapon of opportunity. Relys on combination/set up, correct footwork and angle, requires flexibility and very strong and explosive glut, hammy and calf muscle coordination.

I'm refering to the base kick without the spin; the spinning variety add a whole other set of complications to it. Done well its not slappy and can dent/move a heavy bag, albeit not as powerful as some other kicks.
    This is absolutely true... the front leg hook kick is a weapon of opportunity (just like many, many techniques) and does require combination and set up. Now I am referring to the side-stepping front leg hook kick.

I have KO'd 2 people with this kick and nailed many, many others with it. I have also never been 'taken advantage of' by throwing it.

I always set it up the same way, which involves programming my opponent. I throw a couple of very hard, side stepping side kicks to the ribs. I want my opponent to really feel it; I want him to want to defend against it. Now that I have him programmed, I throw what looks like the same move (a good front leg hook kick will look exactly like a side kick when starting). The opponent will 90% of the time drop his guard to block what appears to be an incoming side kick and at the last second I turn it and do a hook kick. The heel connects to the side of the face/head or the back of the head and (insert Batman contact bubble!).

Sometimes people move and I pull my kick back early, but I have yet to have anyone fast enough to come in on me. I am sure it could happen, but it hasn't yet.

As for using the 'try the kick against a bag' idea. Are you thinking about a hanging heavy bag? That has flaws, as a hanging bag has a chain connected to the ceiling ,whereas the human body doesn't have that leverage. The head has no such support. A better test is to do the kick against a stationary floor bag (the ones that you can fill with water or sand). I think you will see a difference in your 'perceived' power. I knock the heck out of these type of bags.

The front leg kick has uses, but is not the end all, be all moves. There are many move powerful moves, many that don't leave you exposed, and many that don't require set up... but it's still something you can add to your toolbox.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2005 2:08pm

Style: TKD, Long Fist, Praying M

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Toj has a very good point. Any technique can be useful.

It is all a matter of setting up your opponent to fall for/walk into your strategy.

There's only like 5 kicks in TKD competition. 95% of it is round house. 5% are all the other kicks combined. The rest of it is all strategy.
    Last edited by ac_dropout; 12/02/2005 2:10pm at .

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    12/02/2005 2:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And silly slap kick fighting... don't forget that.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/02/2005 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toj
    This is absolutely true... the front leg hook kick is a weapon of opportunity (just like many, many techniques) and does require combination and set up. Now I am referring to the side-stepping front leg hook kick.

I have KO'd 2 people with this kick and nailed many, many others with it. I have also never been 'taken advantage of' by throwing it.

I always set it up the same way, which involves programming my opponent. I throw a couple of very hard, side stepping side kicks to the ribs. I want my opponent to really feel it; I want him to want to defend against it. Now that I have him programmed, I throw what looks like the same move (a good front leg hook kick will look exactly like a side kick when starting). The opponent will 90% of the time drop his guard to block what appears to be an incoming side kick and at the last second I turn it and do a hook kick. The heel connects to the side of the face/head or the back of the head and (insert Batman contact bubble!).

Sometimes people move and I pull my kick back early, but I have yet to have anyone fast enough to come in on me. I am sure it could happen, but it hasn't yet.

As for using the 'try the kick against a bag' idea. Are you thinking about a hanging heavy bag? That has flaws, as a hanging bag has a chain connected to the ceiling ,whereas the human body doesn't have that leverage. The head has no such support. A better test is to do the kick against a stationary floor bag (the ones that you can fill with water or sand). I think you will see a difference in your 'perceived' power. I knock the heck out of these type of bags.

The front leg kick has uses, but is not the end all, be all moves. There are many move powerful moves, many that don't leave you exposed, and many that don't require set up... but it's still something you can add to your toolbox.
    The heavy bag is to work up a resistance against.... resistance...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2005 3:24pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A hook kick on a heavy bag will almost certaintly move you more than it moves the bag. Spinning hook kick is an entirely different matter, as always.

Posted On:
    12/02/2005 3:47pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare
    He is a she. It was a subtle joke. You're still retarded, because she can still live in Nashville and still be from Japan for all I know. It says location, not WHERE WERE YOU BORN/WHERE ARE YOU FROM?!?! Pwnt.
    I'm not a girl.

The handle was given to me by my high school football teammates, because I used to run people over like a Rhino. The fucked up spelling is a bastardization of my name Ryan. (My football buddies were illiterate hicks, so that's how they spelled it.) The nickname was later resurrected by martial arts buddies, as they thought it was descriptive of my pressure-fighting style and hard head.

And I am American.

Carry on.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/02/2005 4:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    I'm not a girl.

The handle was given to me by my high school football teammates, because I used to run people over like a Rhino. The fucked up spelling is a bastardization of my name Ryan. (My football buddies were illiterate hicks, so that's how they spelled it.) The nickname was later resurrected by martial arts buddies, as they thought it was descriptive of my pressure-fighting style and hard head.

And I am American.

Carry on.

KM is referring to me
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    12/02/2005 5:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare

Yeah, they continue to suck. LAST GP PEOPLE! HARIOWNED!
    Hold-on....this is a spinning hook again....isn't it?

Is a hook kick also known as a crescent kick?

Cuz uh....mine are pretty good. But i wouldn't be dumb enough to try and use one against a guy who HAS HIS FRIGGING HANDS UP! DUH!

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    12/02/2005 5:21pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    I'm not a girl.

And I am American.

Carry on.
    I was talking about Kidspatula, dumbass.....
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast