Sponsored Links Spacer Image

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 2:16am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

How do I shot web?

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 2:26am

supporting member
     Style: JKDC, Kali, Swords

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    95% of the time there is no point in trying a hook kick. It lacks power. I've read many replies from posters in this thread that say the same thing: try the hook kick on a swinging heavy bag. I have tried this kick on a bag in the past, and it didn't take me long to realize this kick is obviously not a power kick. I equate it with sissy slapping someone with your foot. Simply put, there are quicker, stronger, more efficient kicks that you could do.

Quote Originally Posted by ggboxer
    You know what, the hell with this ****. I'll leave my lame ass bitching ways and suck off the site management as my compliments, but I'll maintain my boobtastic status here always.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 3:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then you have a dickless hook-kick, like I was saying above. Look at the kick in that video clip I posted. A hook kick is a knockout kick.

Edit: are we talking about a front leg hook kick? Because the front leggedness is what makes a front leg kick slappy, IMO.

A 180 or step-through hook kick has plenty of power.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 11/30/2005 3:07am at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 3:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought we were talking about a spinning hook kick.

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 7:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing:

If you are in position to do a lead leg hook kick ( and yes you can hook kick of the rear leg of course), you are in position to do a side kick.
    Go for the side kick.

Most hook kick KO's are really side kick ko's at time of impact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 2:02pm

Style: TKD, Long Fist, Praying M

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Without see your spin kick (hook kick) I cannot really say where you might be weak.

But my usual advise is to strenghten the outer glute (butt muscle), since you need enough strength to hold your legs wide enough to throw the spin kick.

In TKD it is very important that your back kick and spin kick look the same in the beginning. High level opponents will have the advantage on counter for all back spinning techniques, since they take more time to recover from.

With the recent rule change of 1 point deduction for deliberate falling down. One cannot escape the counter by "suddenly becoming of balance" during a miss, fall down to the mat, and stopping the fight.

To make sure your back kick and spin kicks start looking a like stand 3-4 inches away from a wall, with your back facing the wall. This will make sure your leg will not go too wide when you throw either technique. If they go too wide you will hit the wall and feel the pain.

Heavy bag tips: Like with boxing, if you are feeling pain or unable to complete a technique on a particular bag, it means the bag is too heavy for you. Switch to a lighter bag before you move up in weight.

Start with a paddle target or a hanging speed ball till the speed and technique is perfected. Then move up to a 25 lbs. bag, then a 40 lbs. bag, then 60 lbs. bag, etc.

Also practice hitting with heel of the foot and flat of the foot. The speed and power is a little different with the different striking surface.

Also remember if you're doing arial spin kicks against a heavy object that chances are pretty good you're going to move before the object moves during contact. That's true both in the ring and against a heavy bag.

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 2:16pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He said hook kick not spinning hook kick therefore, I assumed it was the lead leg slappy thing.

Yes, spinning hooks can get some power. But I've also seen people throw really powerful hooks that got got blocked by average fighters who kept their frigging hands up strong. At which point the kicker was in a horrible position defensively.

Personally, if someone spins on me, even if they are quite quick, I have time to lick my chops before moving in and pounding the **** out of them, or taking them down. As soon as someone twitches to spin, you absolutely know which side the attack will come from. It'll be a spinning hook, sidekick, or sweep, but it really doesn' matter. Slide in at an angle, and whatever they throw will miss. And they will be in a very shitty position with you at their back and one leg in the air.

Spinning techniques have their place, but they can be very risky. By their nature, you are momentarily giving someone your back. If that person is not softened up, and is as fast or faster than you are, then it can quickly be fight over. Of course if you set up the spin well, or you are going against a slower or less experienced opponent and your targeting is good, they can be fight finishers, as JC's video demonstrated.

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hook kick is a tricky kick to pull off well, for most its probably not worth bothering with...

But, it can be made to work for some people. Even then its not a primary weapon, only a weapon of opportunity. Relys on combination/set up, correct footwork and angle, requires flexibility and very strong and explosive glut, hammy and calf muscle coordination.

I'm refering to the base kick without the spin; the spinning variety add a whole other set of complications to it. Done well its not slappy and can dent/move a heavy bag, albeit not as powerful as some other kicks.

How do I shot web?

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 8:43pm

supporting member
     Style: JKDC, Kali, Swords

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was commenting about the "slappy" hook kick, not the spinning hook kick. Obviously anything that has spin is going to have more power. I would have to be retarded to suggest that a spinning hook kick has no power. Ryno also raises another good point. A blocked hook kick leaves you in an awkward position, too much of a gamble for a kick that isn't relatively powerful.
    Last edited by Zub-Zub; 11/30/2005 8:47pm at .

Quote Originally Posted by ggboxer
    You know what, the hell with this ****. I'll leave my lame ass bitching ways and suck off the site management as my compliments, but I'll maintain my boobtastic status here always.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 10:22am

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yeah, they continue to suck. LAST GP PEOPLE! HARIOWNED!
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast