Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 4:21pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are we talking about the spinning hook, or that reverse roundhouse thingie that's all hamstring flexion? Because I have yet to see anyone show me an example of the latter that's really worth using (then again, what the **** do I know? I don't even kick over hip height). For the former, it's not about leg strength per se (although it's the initial movement of the hips that generates its power); it's about balance, coordination and timing.

I would work on targetting and repetition over any specific leg exercise, but movements that work adduction, abduction and general stablilization, i.e. lunges (already mentioned) and cable exercises like this sweet baby: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...Adduction.html

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 4:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Cung Le is a fag

Now I really got wood !!

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 4:27pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cung Le is a fag
    Is he really? Joking aside. I can totally see him being gay.
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Are we talking about the spinning hook, or that reverse roundhouse thingie that's all hamstring flexion? Because I have yet to see anyone show me an example of the latter that's really worth using (then again, what the **** do I know? I don't even kick over hip height).
    say you throw a right-leg side kick and your target sidesteps a little right -- you can hook your leg and dig your heel into their thigh and get a little somethin' somethin' out of it. supposedly. i've never tried it, nor do i plan to... nor, for that matter, do i waste time with side kicks. in fact, i barely do anything, except for get punched in the face -- i'm really good at that. anyway, if i ever did something i sure as hell wouldn't be douching up the place with side kicks and hook kicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 6:27pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If a guy keeps his frigging hands up, and you manage to land a hook kick, it leaves you in a horrible position. Seriously, try it against a heavy bag. Preferrably a swinging heavy bag. As it lands, you will stall out, if you have attempted to make any penetration at all.

I used to do this kick when fucking around with TKD friends. I dislocated my knee due to the circular torque. Then I stopped using the kick.

Of course my TKD friends continued to use it, so I'd just **** with them by kicking them in the nuts with a mule kick. Any time a kick goes above the waist, you can be vulnerable to this. This was good fun if they were wearing a cup and were OK with light shots down there.

If they weren't, then I'd just keep my hands up, and angle in hard. As soon as you get past the heel, you're clear, and you have their back. Even if you get caught, as long as your hands are up and strong, it won't come through. They'll stall out as it connects. So continue through, and start launching. Straight rights, body hooks, sweeps of the planted leg, or any one of a number of takedowns are available. They are horribly positioned for any type of defense.

Their only real option is to reverse their motion and go for a mule kick, or a spin to the other side with a side or another hook kick. Just be ready, press in and check their leg if they do. Oh, and hit them or toss them on their head.

I consider the hook kick a finesse technique. If executed perfectly, it can precisely land on the temple or jaw, possibly getting you a KO. If it doesn't, it doesn't have enough power to do much damage. It can also leave you in a horrible position if you miss, and is easily jammed. It has it's place, but I'd rather not put myself at risk, and would rather use a more powerful technique with more wiggle room if I **** it up.
    Last edited by Ryno; 11/29/2005 6:34pm at .

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use it against a heavy bag. A freeswinging heavy bag. Practice that about 1000 times and you should be kosher.

Use it as part of a combo, not as a powerhit.
    Last edited by King Sleepless; 11/29/2005 6:48pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 7:39pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kickcatcher: first clip was a side kick (in my opinion anyway), look at his leg extension during contact, it was going outward, not wipping across and back.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 12:40am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad News Hughes
    say you throw a right-leg side kick and your target sidesteps a little right -- you can hook your leg and dig your heel into their thigh and get a little somethin' somethin' out of it. supposedly. i've never tried it, nor do i plan to... nor, for that matter, do i waste time with side kicks. in fact, i barely do anything, except for get punched in the face -- i'm really good at that. anyway, if i ever did something i sure as hell wouldn't be douching up the place with side kicks and hook kicks.
    I mean . . . everything has a potential use. But in terms of cost-benefit analysis (in this case meaning the time and training required to actually pull this thing off compared to the best possible result: Namely giving someone an owie), I wouldn't really be inclined to spend a lot of time on this one. Now, the spinning hook, on the other hand is a nasty kick. While a lot of people might write this one off, if you can land it in a live setting, you'll be known as "The Decapitator," which -- incidentally -- is a pretty good nickname to have.
    Last edited by Bang!; 11/30/2005 11:45am at .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 12:45am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw Ramon Dekkers use a spinning hook kick once. He missed, but it looked really cool and like it woulda murderized the guy if it connected.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 1:06am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man good hook kicks are about leg flexibility. You can have huge meaty legs like veritable human temple of Dagon and if you can't get them up to hit fluidly you won't have power when you hit and you won't have fast retraction and you'll risk hanging your legs and getting boned.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast