Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    11/27/2005 10:26pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, a quarter of a million is what Chuck made his last title defense(In American dollars).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2005 10:32pm

Style: Hapkido & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Grande
    This isn't even a good break down...the better ones show what the win bonus is, etc. To claim that Pride is a "better organization" based soley on what their pay scale is for fighters is naive at best, fucking retarded at worst.

You do realize that for the UFC to have 10,000 people at a live event is huge while Pride and K-1 have routinely filled arenas with 20.000 - 80,000? Think that might have a small economic impact? Take into consideration the cultural perspective, that Pride/K-1/Shooto/Rings, etc are about a billion times more acceptable in Japan as opposed to the "barbaric, cage-fighting" mind-set most people have of the UFC in the US...the sponsors for both events and individuals greatly favors fighters in Japan.

Also it should be noted that many MMA fighters in Japan have the opportunity to make tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands more through the Pro-Wrestling organizations...which Pride, K1, Shooto, etc are associated with....well ****...imagine that...that Japanese organizations pay fighters more than the UFC.

God forbid you see what KOTC or other mid-tier show fighters make in the US. Would it be great if the fighters in the UFC made more? Hell yes. To say that Pride (or any other organization) is better than the UFC because of that reason alone...well you might as well tattoo nut-hugger to your forehead tonight and get it done with.

Gringo Grande
    I think there is a pretty compelling argument that the talent will go where the money is. If you're going to beat and be beaten on for a living, wouldn't you rather be making more to do it, if possible? All things being equal, the better fighters will go where they can earn more money. For some, that IS the UFC, as Couture would not make the money he is earning per fight in Japan, for others, I think the UFC is a mistake. I think St Pierre, for instance, could make more money and be extremely competetive in PRIDE. If he wins the UFC belt. UFC's Welterweight division is stacked, but I would not be surprised to see some of the top names, like St Pierre leave for Japan at some point. The talent will go where the money and the opportunities are. There is simply no reason to think otherwise. After all, fighting careers are short and usually end up having long term consequences. These guys have to get as much money as quickly as possible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 12:20am

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did Hughes make $110,000 and Franklin only made $26,000? Do those numbers include the win bonus?

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 12:34am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaspaine
    Why did Hughes make $110,000 and Franklin only made $26,000? Do those numbers include the win bonus?
    The word on sherdog is that Hughes has a much fatter contract that Franklin as he has been a champ longer. Franklin signed his contract before he got super popular. There is some confusion as to whether he will be getting paid more now or not. Some people say his contract has been renegotiated and that he'll be getting more, others say he's been extended to the contract with not a lot of pay.

If you want anymore information, you'll have to get it yourself. I'm not wading through that shithole again until my boots dry off.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 12:36am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the people just starting out, ****, you need a full time job AND fights just to break even... I can't imagine how difficult it must be to get to the top. A lot of sacrifice. Or just rich parents.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 1:28am

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or just rich parents.
    Also known as the BJ Penn plan! ;) I heard all those guys from Hawaii are rolling in it and have sweet volcano-based lairs just like in James Bond. Isn't that right Meex?

Gringo Grande
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 4:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main payoff I can see for anyone getting into the sport is simple credibility. If you run a school or farm yourself out as a coach, having an even mediocre UFC record...**** just getting to the UFC, marks you as top fucking flight and you can charge bucketloads for private coaching, put out videos and be confident that your school will be well respected by those in the know.

No one gets into fighting for the money anyways or if they do . . . I'd say they've just taken a few too many hits to the head.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 4:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    ............ and be confident that your school will be well respected by those in the know.
    Which are woefully out numbered by those outside of the know.
    I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and I see STUPID looking back.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 8:15am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuDoesWork
    Which are woefully out numbered by those outside of the know.
    Yah, but doesn't matter too much since it's not like those "outside" would be lining up for fight training anyway.

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 2:21pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give me 30 serious students/training partners that are in the know, and I'd be a lot happier than having 300 chi fireball jackoffs in my club. Even if both would pay good money to train.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast