Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 1:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The DOGI (which is the proper name, gi is actually incorrect but accepted) was based off of traditional garb. I seriously doubt Kano would have know much about Cornish wrestling. Kano introduced the JUDOGI in 1907 prior to that the Judoka did train in normal Kimono and used the common obi for practice. As far as Karate adopting the Judo uniform that is true.

Kano also created the Kyu/dan ranking system that almost every art uses today. However it was one of his students Mikonosuke Kawaishi who added the multicolor belts.

Actually, I'm not so sure the kimono/gi comparison pans out. My kimono is much longer than my uwagi, although it does wrap around in the same way. Plus, kimono have large baggy sleeves. And kimono are not worn with pants, but with a hakama, which is like a big divided skirt.
    You are speaking mostly of FORMAL Kimono not your everyday laymans Kimono. A normal Kimono is very similar to the Judogi and they didn't wear Hakama they wore short pants as well.

Something like this:

This is JINBEI dress and is worn in the summertime. Its loungewear and sleepwear but its the closet pics I could find to normal dress.

Note that the original Judogi had shorter pants and sleeves than what you see today.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 1:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The dogi jacket is very simmilar to the "hapi", which is traditional japanese clothing.

(What the guy in the pic is wearing)

Maybe it's about the fabric more than about the design.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks DCS. I was trying to remember the HAPPI. They are the traditional workmans clothing. Fishermen, Shopkeepers, etc generally wore those.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 4:38pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Sushi chef wears one...

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 5:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    My Sushi chef wears one...
    You have your own sushi chef? Damn dude, I'm jealous! :ninja2:

Ex-RAF

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 9:19pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roly
    i dont believe it

how come karate uniforms have the same type of uniform (thinner material = the only real difference)
    I read somewhere that karate dogi are thinner than judogi because krotty's less throw-heavy than Judo, so you're not as likely to put as much stress on the dogi and get it ripped. That could explain why karateka get away with thinner cut cloth (although it's still shitty and rips anyway).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 4:01am

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in a koryu right now, and we use a standard judogi for practice. From what I understand, it's simply standardized grappling clothing, similar to what was used by various kenjitsu and jujitsu schools. I'm unware of any evidence to the contrary.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 1:34pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahoushi
    The article states that karateka adopted the judo uniform, so it would appear that this objection is nullified.

Funakoshi is said to have consulted Kano when bringing Karate to mainland Japan so this would certainly make sense...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 1:59pm

Style: None as of yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read somewhere that the happi was warmer and therefore worn during cold seasons. So I'm guessing it was made from a thicker fabric.

I also understand that the dogi is almost exclusively Japanese although I noticed that almost all Korean styles employ the dogi(or 'dobohk' as they call it) as their official uniform. Is this accurate?

And while were on the topic: I noticed that Japanese workers and fishermen wear this type of twisted headband that's still worn today as part of the sushi chef's uniform. I wonder if they have a name for it?

Cowardly Henchman

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 5:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The judogi originated from underwear that was originally worn for physical activity, and later adapted for fighting by being considerably strengthened and made to resemble actual kimono and trousers later - this was in 1907 when Kano had the arms and legs lengthened.
    Last edited by Beneath Contempt; 11/29/2005 5:14pm at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast