Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 10:23pm

Style: Hapkido & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuDoesWork
    One question or statement that has floated in between these posts is the issue of contact levels in practicing the striking element.

Escalating progression and equipment makes this more bareable.

Now, how mnay here get their bell rung on a regular basis? Glancing blows don't count.
    I would say I've only had to step away from contact a couple of times, but haven't been knocked out. I'm beginning to think this is actually a bad thing? The problem is, I make my money with my brain, so I'm very concerned about protecting it. I understand the value of contact and live sparring, but should I be getting my ass kicked in order to become a more proficient martial artist? Does the contact in a sparring session have to escalate to the point of full on, knockout contact to be useful? I think I am probably misunderstanding what you mean by "getting your bell rung". If I am, please excuse the post.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 10:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    Very good.

Good progression.

Right on point. The context has shifted markedly from your start point and a new paradigm must be created. If a person is brutally honest about it ... the requirements and the criteria of the new paradigm will be manifestly self-evident.

It is at this point in the progression continuum that most fall down. They become enamored with how "good" they are and lapse into to the fatal flaw of spending most of their time - energy doing what they all ready do well. Closed loop ego feeding frenzy.

IMO, true. I give noobs about 30 - 45 days of grace at the most and then build a fire under their ass. Get with it or get the **** gone.

I think that's correct as well. Although, from time to time ... just to infuse a bit of the novelty factor, I enjoy using equipment with a partner. Standing behind a heavy bag and making it move about ... crash and close down the distance as he enters ... pull back hard and away when he sets to fire whatever ... it's fun and of some value.

As there is no resistance you are able to form "perfect World" structures ... I advocate using a mirror and putting a hyper-critical eye on yourself. This is pure movement specific entrainment and if employed exclusively will result in nothing more than yet another Form Fairie. Too damned many of those things flittering about as is.

Entrainment ... unlike a gas tank on a car does not have to be refilled all that often. If you have done the sweaty, ugly, nasty, hard and often times painful work associated with going against a non-cooperative opponent of the same, or preferably superior, skill level the attending entrainments will hold for quite some time. Just a matter of digging down once in a while and walking through the fire. No "carved in stone" time line for how long the entrainments will hold absent any refreshing. Highly individualistic.

I think if George Foreman would have maintained the same general level of condition - shape he had when he emerged from the Olympics he would be knocking out Contender caliber Heavy Weights to this very day. Yet, even though he blew up like a huge, fat toad, the entrainments held for quite some time as a few young studs discovered.

IMO, very true. The mental side of the house rules this World ... but the body likes the attention. The Mind knows the real deal and is comfortable - secure in its role. Therefore, it tends to allow the Physical to show & pose.

Good stuff and rings real World true. I watched a Karate Kid wannabe take on a Cowboy ... a real Cowboy. The KK had nunchuks fashioned out of heavy steel pipes secured with flexible steel cable. Twirled them very nicely. Cowboy charged in ... took a wicked shot on his raised arm which broke the arm ... rodeo-ed the KK with his one good arm and proceeded to ram him head - face first into a truck until the guy's face disappeared under a most lovely shade of red cascading blood. That Cowboy demonstrated REAL Kung Fu.

Are those delusional shitrats even still around?

After reading this breakdown, what you're getting at sounds entirely reasonable. I do believe in the point of deminishing returns factor when it comes to rehashing certain methods of training. I have had this gripe about the training my coaches have me do as they seem to have us spend more time than I would like on "noob exercises".

I don't question them because "Ross knows best", but I can see how certain things that we're doing, as they are not geared towards the individual, are not the most efficient practices for excelling as fighters. In fact, I will admit to being a coach traitor, since I will train with the women's boxing team coach whenever I get the chance as the training she provides is more centered around live excercises that are just a step below actual sparring and it's much more centered around each individual.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 10:48pm

Style: none currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok
    *devils advocate*
    (Lets take this one step further)
    No one can fight full contact all out all the time as the only means of training. It would just never happen...you'd look like ali inside of a couple years not to mention the blown out knees and arthritis...obviously, JFS and crew are advocating something more moderate that doesn't push one nearly that much. Fine.
    What about grapplers? It's easy to roll constantly as a sole method of training once you've got enough of the basics. It's easy to roll for a long time at a level that doesn't push you to exhaustion too once you're in grappling shape. Perhaps this is one reason that grapplers consistently own people who train solely as strikers. Grapplers consistently train the way they fight whereas many strikers have too many distractions.
    Does this invalidate bag training or padwork altogether? Doubtful. Does this mean that training the way you fight is crucial? Absolutely.
    Anyone on here specialize in exercise phys? I'd love to hear from someone who actually has an educated viewpoint on the science behind this...

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 12:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do you think we used those funny looking helmets in my early fight videos? Because its the only way to not go brain fucked.
    I am the biggest fucking wanker on the internet - Proven fact.

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 12:54am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xingyifa
    What about grapplers? It's easy to roll constantly as a sole method of training once you've got enough of the basics. It's easy to roll for a long time at a level that doesn't push you to exhaustion too once you're in grappling shape. Perhaps this is one reason that grapplers consistently own people who train solely as strikers. Grapplers consistently train the way they fight whereas many strikers have too many distractions.
    Awesome idea, and it definitely makes a lot of sense, but you have some confounds to go with it.

Note: These are my personal opinions and observations. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all here.

It is generally easier for a grappler to take a pure stand-up striker out of his game than vice versa. People that do not train to work on the ground generally do not know what to do there. Watch a newbie in his first grappling class and that becomes obvious. Part of it is most likely what you suggested: grapplers generally train just how they fight--close the distance, go for the takedown, get position, end the fight. A big part of it is the inexperience of a pure striker with a ground game. He is now being pinned to the ground, limiting his mobility. He no longer knows how to generate power in his punches (he might have the skills, but he probably has not been in the situation before, making it hard for him to apply them). He is not sure what to do here, and any little mistake he makes is going to be seized upon by the grappler.

My reasoning behind it being harder for a pure striker to make a pure grappler play his game:

A striker generally wants distance, a good base, and freedom of movement. A grappler actively seeks to deny the striker all these things. It is very hard for a striker to maintain these things against someone so used to fighting the way a grappler does (A point for Xingyifa). No strike from a human limb is a guaranteed KO. Some people might come close, but they are not ALWAYS going to get the win from a single hit. A single RNC is pretty much always going to make someone drift off to sleepyland. In otherwords, a grappling solution to a fight is probably higher-percentage.

So I guess you could say that a grappler being more highly trained for what he is doing is part of why he tends to have success against a pure striker, but that is only half the equation. The grappler is always playing a much higher-percentage game than a striker. In other words, his strategy is the other major key.

You will often hear that a big, hard-hitting lug of a man has a "puncher's chance" against a more technical beast, even at ridiculously high levels of performance.

This is generally not so when comparing grapplers at high levels. There is a reason for this. Grappling is all about minimizing the random elements of a fight.

Whew, sorry for the long-winded tirade.

Great thread, by the way, JFS. I don't think you've butchered any of my horses, but you've definitely put words with concepts I had never really thought to define. Thanks.

Edit -- In no way am I endorsing training in only grappling here. I do not believe in this at all.
    Last edited by Cassius; 11/29/2005 12:58am at .

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 12:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    After reading this breakdown, what you're getting at sounds entirely reasonable.
    hahahahhahahaha!

The Kid can do it! Must be a woman thing - you guys would never have admitted to 'seeing' someone else's 'perspective' without fifty pages of high octane dick beating.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 1:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    hahahahhahahaha!

The Kid can do it! Must be a woman thing - you guys would never have admitted to 'seeing' someone else's 'perspective' without fifty pages of high octane dick beating.
    In the interest of fairness, it should also be pointed out that she jumped in and started arguing with JFS before he had clarified a lot of what he was saying, which a lot of "dick beaters" didn't do.

I don't really think anyone can disagree with the assertion that training hard, properly, and intelligently is a lot better than just training hard. It seems to me that most people here are just disagreeing on what proper and intelligent training are, not whether or not they should be used. Beyond that, there is so much context left out in posts that it is likely that a lot of people's views on this matter are more similar than they would like to admit.
    Last edited by Cassius; 11/29/2005 1:10am at .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 1:10am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean
    In the interest of fairness, it should also be pointed out that she jumped in and started arguing with JFS before he had clarified a lot of what he was saying.

I don't really think anyone can disagree that training hard, properly, and intelligently is a lot better than just training hard. It seems to me that most people here are just disagreeing on what proper and intelligent training are, not whether or not they should be used. Beyond that, there is so much context left out in posts that it is likely that a lot of people's views on this matter are more similar than they would like to admit.

I was arguing with the fact that he proclaimed speed bag and skipping rope as "useless" training tools, which is entirely seperate from the whole drills thing. I still believe in their use as it relates to fighting.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 1:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm learnin' stuff.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 1:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I was arguing with the fact that he proclaimed speed bag and skipping rope as "useless" training tools, which is entirely seperate from the whole drills thing. I still believe in their use as it relates to fighting.
    Maybe my JFS translator is set differently from yours. Generally, when JFS says something sucks or is useless, I tone down his argument by about 50 decibels and wait for him to explain himself. His argument is that there are better methods than skipping rope, as far as I understood.

I am conflicted about this opinion myself. I've always looked at strength and endurance training as ways to give yourself better tools to work with. I'm not sure if "increasing your potential" is the proper term here, but it seems to fit. I don't necessarily see these "dead" drills as ways to improve your martial arts so much as I see them as ways to improve the body that does the martial arts.

This is a more "broken down" approach, whereas JFS' seems more holistic. He wants to do both at once. At the very least, his arguments might give you something to think about while you are training. "How can I make this exercise more like what I experience during a practice/fight/whatever?"

Just some food for thought. Hopefully I didn't screw this up too badly.

Edit -- Hear that JFS? I am accusing you of being a completely reasonable person. I feel like I just threw water on the wicked witch. Just kidding. Sort of.
    Last edited by Cassius; 11/29/2005 1:24am at .