Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2005 12:27pm

Style: Boxing, TKD, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Flexibility Training

I completely suck at flexibility. I completely suck. My range of movement is terrible and a little stretch hurts like hell. I can hardly reach my ankle, and when I do, it's goddamn painful. Everytime I get out of bed, after my first step on the floor, all I hear are cracks. Cracks everywhere. Even back stretches, all I hear are cracks. Flexiblity is a new thing to me and I have no clue how to increase mine. How do I make permanent flexibility gains? What techniques or exercises help? It's one of the most important components in martial arts and fitness, and the one I'm most lacking.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2005 12:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vik
    I completely suck at flexibility. I completely suck. My range of movement is terrible and a little stretch hurts like hell. I can hardly reach my ankle, and when I do, it's goddamn painful. Everytime I get out of bed, after my first step on the floor, all I hear are cracks. Cracks everywhere. Even back stretches, all I hear are cracks. Flexiblity is a new thing to me and I have no clue how to increase mine. How do I make permanent flexibility gains? What techniques or exercises help? It's one of the most important components in martial arts and fitness, and the one I'm most lacking.
    Well, I'm not really sure what kind of answer you're looking for. I think it's fairly obvious, you just need to stretch.

Flexibility is progressive, it can take time. You can buy a book that demonstartes stretches and work on it on your own. Another option would be a yoga class. This way you'll have some motivation, which can be helpful in the beginning.

In yoga, you'll only stretch as far as you're able and will get progressively more flexible as time goes by.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2005 1:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to read the TaeBoMaster sticky, some excellent info there on stretching.

If I were you, I'd be getting up in the morning and doing some joint loosening exercises, shoulder rotations, that sort of thing. That may help you with the cracks and pops. Warm up and then do some stretching - stretching in the mornings helps your flexibility later in the day (Definately works for me anyway). Make sure you don't overstretch and incorporate some isometric stretching alongside static stretching. It's important to make sure you develop strength in the stretched positions. I'm pretty sure this is all covered in the same sticky.
    Straight punches make you go blind. More damage is done to a criminals nervous system when they are struck. Strikes that make you stronger. All this and more systema douchebaggery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak-m2iwI7Q

NEW BONUS REEL, feat RobG at it again! lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDnMDJVWmQ

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/27/2005 2:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Myofascial Release!

Posted On:
    11/27/2005 7:25pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    Myofascial Release!
    Seconded. I really should be using my roller more often because every time I do I feel great afterwards. The biggest problem with using a myofascial roller is that you have to be either really determind not to care, or be in the mood for it. It will hurt, but the reward is well worth it.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2005 10:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the book 'Stretching Scientifically', by Thomas Kurz.
    http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...163607-8788331
    Last edited by Tacitus; 11/27/2005 10:48pm at .

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 7:59am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll second yoga. Besides the compellingly tight garments worn by the female practioners, you get some very good streching and core work. Kinda hard to do right on your own though - really helps to have an instructor make sure you're doing the poses right.

Really can't say enough good things about it, and you should have seen the girl at my last class wearing the Bikini Kill shirt.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 1:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do what i did when results didnt come fast enough order one of those stretch machine thingys if your local Gym doesnt have one, then get reaaaaal Drunk,

an then get on the machine an extend it all the way an just sit there an relax, you'll be good to go.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lucy Liu's body? Gross. I like Latin women, thick and vivrant.

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 9:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh...where did Lucy Liu come form?

Anyway, what's the deal with the Lotus position (or whatever it's called). MY LEGS DON"T DO THAT!!

I'm pretty flexible, But I just can't do it. And when I sit cross-legged, my feet lose circulation.
    I usually just put the bottoms of my feet together. But still. What's the deal?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast