Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Amateur Fighter

Posted On:
    12/06/2005 7:39am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in Southeast South Dakota, so a Minnesota throwdown would be tits for me. Count me in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 5:27pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi. I'm from Milwaukee and am also looking for sparring partners. I'm 31, former wrestler and Marine and here is an ad I placed on craigslist. If you are interested let me know. I also go up to the Twin Cities often.

I'm looking for men and women who want to fight, who want to learn how to fight, and who want to watch other people fight.

I realize that other than a tiny subculture, our society still deems martial arts as good, and fighting as bad.

That's completely bass ackwords.

Fighting is the only true martial art. The other ones, like tae kwo do, wing chun, aikido, etc, merely take an ASPECT of the fight, expand it, and add other dimentions to it, often times spiritual dimentions, dimentions that won't have much practical value if you are in an actual street fight. These have their value, but they aren't about learning how to fight, only peripherely.

Even a master martial artist like Jet Li admits that he wouldn't win in a fight with an Ultimate Fighting Champion like Matt Hughes.

Matt Hughes, in fact, is a model of the type of well rounded fighter I want to become and the likes of whom I wish to have such a club with. Physical fitness, striking, grappling, mental toughness and all the other intangibles.

I have a space in mind that if I found enough other people, we could rent and use to spar and train. We could pool rescources to buy equipment. We could rent dvd's from previous UFC and Pride events as well as future pay-per-view events and share in the cost for both entertainment as well as learning.

I'm not an expert myself and I'm not seeking to challenge Matt Huges for his title. I want to train as if I was going to though. This is the best physcial fitness, it's fun, and I truely believe that developing the skills you need to be a good fighter develop your body fully, and that's what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for both men and women of all different backgrounds. I'm looking for people who want to train hard and improve themeselves physically, mentally and spiriually. And I want to fight.

Posted On:
    12/13/2005 10:15pm

Style: slappy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CúChulainn
    Hi. I'm from Milwaukee and am also looking for sparring partners. I'm 31, former wrestler and Marine and here is an ad I placed on craigslist. If you are interested let me know. I also go up to the Twin Cities often.

I'm looking for men and women who want to fight, who want to learn how to fight, and who want to watch other people fight.

I realize that other than a tiny subculture, our society still deems martial arts as good, and fighting as bad.

That's completely bass ackwords.

Fighting is the only true martial art. The other ones, like tae kwo do, wing chun, aikido, etc, merely take an ASPECT of the fight, expand it, and add other dimentions to it, often times spiritual dimentions, dimentions that won't have much practical value if you are in an actual street fight. These have their value, but they aren't about learning how to fight, only peripherely.

Even a master martial artist like Jet Li admits that he wouldn't win in a fight with an Ultimate Fighting Champion like Matt Hughes.

Matt Hughes, in fact, is a model of the type of well rounded fighter I want to become and the likes of whom I wish to have such a club with. Physical fitness, striking, grappling, mental toughness and all the other intangibles.

I have a space in mind that if I found enough other people, we could rent and use to spar and train. We could pool rescources to buy equipment. We could rent dvd's from previous UFC and Pride events as well as future pay-per-view events and share in the cost for both entertainment as well as learning.

I'm not an expert myself and I'm not seeking to challenge Matt Huges for his title. I want to train as if I was going to though. This is the best physcial fitness, it's fun, and I truely believe that developing the skills you need to be a good fighter develop your body fully, and that's what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for both men and women of all different backgrounds. I'm looking for people who want to train hard and improve themeselves physically, mentally and spiriually. And I want to fight.

Hi.
    I'm in Milwaukee and would be happy to train with you in the future. At this time a health issue prevents me from too much contact training, but feel free to contact me via e-mail or PM.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2005 1:47am

Style: TKD, Ken/Tanto/JuJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wonderful, im glad to see the ball really start rolling, btw heres a few pictures of our facility in Eau Claire, (http://www.atf.nu/) nice place as far as i'm concerned, and supercheap/free. theres also some areas to camp in around the river-area.

it seems alot of you on this thread are into BJJ, now my only instruction to grappling is a rather 'traditional' japanese JuJutsu which is geared more towards "oh ****, i dropped my katana, and that samurai has a weapon and i don't, how can i take him out?"

the jap jujutsu we do incorporates alot of distancing, standing throws, sweeps, tackles, some joint-lock throws, etc and is kinda like a crazy mix of judo, aikido, and powerstriking karate .... but is ridiculously lacking in the submissions end of things, the idea behind jap jujutsu being that after you throw them down, you stomp on their head, stab them in the neck, etc something of that nature

so is there anyone willing to help me out, show me some techniques, drills, etc? it would be much appreciated, if anyone wants to dance around and do some tantojutsu type stuff, i've got a set of chalk-knives

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2005 5:18am

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could swing a february get-together across the border if you have the space!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 5:38pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eau Claire seems to be the most central and logical location for Wisconota (or Minnesconsin. The latter sounds better, but geographical prejudice leads me to the former.)

Let's say we thrown this upper-midwest caution to the Borealis and set a date. Say, Feb 4, just to be arbitrary.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 12:52pm

Style: hackery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by naofa_gaiscioch
    wonderful, im glad to see the ball really start rolling, btw heres a few pictures of our facility in Eau Claire, (http://www.atf.nu/) nice place as far as i'm concerned, and supercheap/free. theres also some areas to camp in around the river-area.
    Praise the lord.

A Midwest Throwdown.

I've lurked on this site for a while, but only registered when I saw this thread.

I should probably introduce myself, so I'll see how briefly I can do that:

23, 6'4", 210lbs, Worthington MN, cannon-fodder.

That was easier than I thought.

So, Eau Claire is 5 fucking hours away, but that's worth it for me.

I really am cannon-fodder -- still, I'm at least fairly active; still play football regularly. But I've had no formal training, other than having been in fights of course.

I think I fit well with the stated purpose of this site, though. There's a sketch by David Cross about redneck fights and how, in the ****-talking that inevitably leads to one, there's a lot of bullshido flying around; I've seen that firsthand several times. And, of course, I've gotten my ass kicked by guys who actually knew what they were talking about. :D

But, basically, fighting is fun and I want to be a better fighter. Only an "artist" insomuch as any increase in ability leads naturally to a kind of beauty.

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 12:54pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about just having it in KC so people from the surrounding areas can all drive in? I've even got a spot we can use for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 1:50pm

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, there's no reason NOT to do both, is there? I don't think I can make a KC drive during school, so my reasons are selfish :smile:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 5:01pm

Style: hackery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunky
    Well, there's no reason NOT to do both, is there? I don't think I can make a KC drive during school, so my reasons are selfish :smile:
    KC is just under 2 times as far away as EC, and the TC is only 2.5 hours.

Although ... I have a lot of family and friends in St. Joe, in Leavenworth (both sides of the walls), and actually in KC as well I believe -- I could make both if the KC one was planned in advance (and I love KC).

But Spunky, you've got a point -- I have to think there could be enough people within a 4-hour radius (4.5 hours for me) of Eau Claire to make it worthwhile. It makes it a couple of hours from the Twin Cities, which might be a big draw. I'll bet that it would be considered doable for a lot of people in Duluth.

I'll keep early February open.

It sounds like "midwest" in this thread title is actually slang for "northern midwest." Eau Claire or Twin Cities seems like they could draw people well; "middle-of-the-midwest" like KC, I mean damn ... probably half of the guys who could make KC could make Atlanta! Whereas unless I stop working for myself, heh, I'm not going to have enough extra money or time for that kind of trip.

I'm talking too much for being new ( :XXspam: ), but don't worry. For as much of an ass-kicking as it looks like I'll be in for, I should be a lot more obnoxious than this.

Actually, I think it will be as interesting for you to fight me as vice versa, because as I think about it, I'm probably a fairly representative scenario for a real confrontation:

- I have little or no training.
    - I have the right body style to give people trouble (long reach/tall, skinny but just solid enough at 210 to keep from being awkward)
    - If an opportunity for a fight came up and it looks like I can get away with doing it without getting killed/major injury (ie, just one guy, something that could probably be resolved by backing down, guy seems nice but just really worked up) I always take it, always say "ok man, let's do this!", because it's FUN. It's more fun than rugby or football, and the other guy always enjoys it (because if he won he feels good and magnanimous, and if he loses I give him a real Fight Club, brotherly vibe); only once have we not parted on good terms (but that's because the guy thought I was racist, which is total bull; I speak Laotian for Chrissakes, I love everybody). I'm not reckless, so usually it's just a guy posturing for his girlfriend or something, no buddies around; a situation that MOST guys who are learning or have learned martial arts, despite any professed bullshido to the contrary, would also choose to fight in ;). But yeah, while that's definitely a character flaw on my part (choosing potentially dangerous recreation), I am by definition the sort of person who you may one day end up needing to school, because of some simple human misunderstanding, like your girlfriend thinking I was giving her looks when I was actually blinking from the sunlight (happened).
    - I *might* be a challenge. I doubt it unless there's a serious mismatch in size, I really doubt it; I have no problem being a loser (heh) and I enjoy fighting enough as recreation, just the act of DOING it, that I won't have a problem handling repeated beatdowns. But there are probably a few smaller guys who (again, all bullshido aside) know that tall guys like me often just whore their height in a fight, and so I might be challenging for those guys.

One thing I really want to do more of, in line with bettering myself at fighting overall (and giving myself a less-dangerous way to do it more often!) is to develop some kind of ground game for fights that could get really serious. Although the really serious, ****-I-might-die-here fights that I've been witness to have generally involved a GROUP of angry people and one or two who just want to get the **** out of dodge and weren't looking for trouble in the first place (heh, one involved me running down the street with my luggage carrier and laptop bag on my shoulder, and three guys who had been converging on me deciding after half a block that catching me would be more trouble than it was worth ... note to self, never use a laptop bag. people see it and think "laptop", instead of "man-purse").

But assuming a serious one-on-one confrontation, I'm definitely aware of how crucial the ground game is. That vid of the guys from one of the throwdowns -- the "groundcontrol" big-ass dude was fighting the lighter guy (a TKD guy?) -- really illustrated how important or course-altering the ground game could be; I had NO thought at the start of that thing that the light guy in red would come out on top, even if by a hair. I was sure it would be no contest.

Rambling. Very excited about potential throwdown; however you dice it, I don't see how it can fail to be a net win for all of us.
    Last edited by unpossible; 12/22/2005 6:20pm at .
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast