Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 4:56pm

Style: HapKiDo, Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chicago Schools?

Does anyone have any NHB type schools they would like to recommend in or near Chicago? Anyone know of an internet message board dedicated to the Chicago NHB community?

Thanks,
    Ted

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 4:58pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.championjiujitsu.com

I used to go here every now and again, seemed pretty good. They do mostly gi jiu-jitsu, but they also had a MMA class added before I left.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 6:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    * coughs *
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOT THE SAME THING.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	4498  

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 7:06pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 11:18pm

Style: HapKiDo, Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice....

Does anyone know of any schools around Chicago that subscribe to "alive" training"?

I know there is a Straight Blast Gym in Elgin, but it's too far.... :-(

I've been at a few schools in Chicago and most recently I trained at the Vee Arnis Jitsu school in Colorado Springs. I loved the VAJ school. John, the instructor, taught in a very intense manner. I'd like to find a school that has stand up self defense, BJJ, and is taught at a high level of intensity near Chicago.

That's what I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, the MMA type schools seem to shy away from the self defense aspect. The non MMA schools are not really a consideration at this point. By self defense, I mean the other techniques that come into play like realistic knife training (notice, I did not say knife defense... I don't think that exists) and like a good old fashioned stomp to the head when you're able to get an attacker on the ground.... **** like that... not this stupid, useless, PPCT or other "control" crap.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Ted

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    11/27/2005 8:36am

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THERE'S A SBG IN ELGIN????

I did not know that, and that's a drive I don't think I would mind making if I come home for the summer. Damn.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 10:09am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There seems to be a bit of question as to whether SBG Elgin is still open. Coach Phil Sharp was teaching there for quite a while.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 2:12pm

Style: NOGI, Muay Thai, Kali,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA

I know there is Combat-Do in chicago, and my personal favorite Team Torres in Indiana. We were all at the NAGA comps in NOV. 2005, great grappling and NHB fights, very decent kickboxing matches too. As for self defense, to many schools i have been to have static or quasi situational training, but lack real aliveness training. If the school covers all 3 aspects of training, standup, takedown and grappling training then all that you may want is a weapons training class to go to. Everytime I had a weapons confrontation, im the one that lacked the weapons. So traing against weapons cant be neglected also. One thing though a good MMA fighter may very intelligently resist weak takedowns, punches woth no base, so be careful just cause a technique works on the uninformed, does not mean much against a trained MMA fighter. Also I have found that the BJJ, Muay Thai, and MMA training I have received made me a much tougher person.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2005 11:36am

Style: NOGI, Muay Thai, Kali,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

also

Also try Carlson Gracie, he now has 3 locations in chicago and expanded classes and hours. He builds champions, and has a great MMA personal program.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 3:20am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gracie Barra

I recently joined Gracie Barra in Chicago, a brazilian jiu jitsu academy.
    The environment and staff is very friendly. The teachers, Eddie, Adem, and Marcello, are very friendly and are more than willing to help with anything you need.
    There is none of the ego and near-cult worship that other dojos possess. Regardless of the skill level you have, you are treated kindly and there is none of the 'holier than though' attitude where god-like reverence needs to be paid to the instructor.

Personally, when I go to a gym, I like a well kept and organized place but not a sterile environment where you feel like you're in a hospital with a lot of mirrors. I find this place to be the perfect mix for a type of hard, sweaty work you need to do to be a martial artist. It has a comfortable feel to it.

The current size of the gym is addequate, but they will be recently renovating behind it to make it twice its size. They also have a gym that is open to members. There are no long stretches of usless machines, but instead, there is a limited amount of the required equipment present. I was able to do deadlifts, power cleans, and squats without any problems.

When you first start, you're expected to complete 24 introductory classes where you learn basic moves before you move into the grappling and practice sessions.

One of the more interesting perks is that they offer Muay Thai classes on saturdays by an experienced instructor. I have not attended these yet but from what I've been told, these instructions are intended to be real training with eventual full contact.

Overall, I would sum that this gym is one where its primary goal is for effective and "live" training. Their modus operandi is that of live and resisting opponents rather than just static training and repetition. The beginner classes, however, are just to prep the student into the grappling portions.

Website is www.chicagojiujitsu.com and I've seen this mentioned before but I dont think anyone wrote their thoughts on it. Hope this helps.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast