Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that some are good and some are bad, however I work with them on a daily basis, and I've treated with several different chiros in the past, and in my opinion some are good and most are bad.

I believe chriropractic is only effective on a very limited basis. Personally, I doubt I'd ever use a chiropractor again. I've actually seen many instances in which they exacerbated a person's problems.

For your situation I'd recommend a couple of different things. For the back issues, massage therapy can be excellent but needs to be once or twice a week for a few weeks. It isn't usually a quick fix.

As for your knee, I'd find a Physiatrist. Once again, they aren't very common, but they are an incredible resource. Similar to a physical therapist with a MD. A physiatrist will usually spend 45-60 minutes with you thoroughly evaluating you and explaining what's going on. They will develop a rehab program and oversee other doctors if necessary. They will take into account your goals regarading lifting and work toward getting you back where you want to be in terms of physical activity.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 1:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PO9
    Yeah, I'll just say what every one else says. Some are good, some are bad. I've used one before, helped my back tremendously, actually thinking of going again. But some chiro's are quacks and big into holistic and new age hippie therapies as well. Just trust your gut instinct on this particular chiro.
    I had lower back problems and went to a chiropractor, it did help a bit; but I ended up going for loads of sessions and spending a fortune. I subsequently found out myself after breaking the only guitar I had at uni, that my habit of using the computer and playing guitar at the same time was causing it, not that my spine was deformed and I had hyper-lordosis or whatever.

Anyway, keep your BS detector on at all times around these guys, the problem is all the promises they make sound so appealing... what he was saying to you sounds like marketing material for the latest supplement - you know that most of their claims turn out to be BS; but you still think "What if it really does help me?"....
    Straight punches make you go blind. More damage is done to a criminals nervous system when they are struck. Strikes that make you stronger. All this and more systema douchebaggery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak-m2iwI7Q

NEW BONUS REEL, feat RobG at it again! lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDnMDJVWmQ

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 1:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    What's everyone's opinions on them?

I went to one about three weeks ago for a 'free' consultation. He took some x-rays and used this Electro graph or something to measure the tension in my back. He said I had subluxation, and that my back is very "flat." I also talked to him about my knee problem, and he said he can fix it, did something with my foot to measure the strength and spitted off jargon about how this is effecting my sleep, Spinal deteroriation, blah blah blah. Essentially he said he can make me better, stronger, faster, with chiropractics. I've heard mixed reactions about them and I've also seen the bullshit episode on them. If it's worth it and it'll make me better for lifting, MA and my work then I'm all for it, but I'm not gonna be roped into bullshit. Have at it.

On a side note, went to an orthopedist two weeks ago (wanted a second opinion) to ask him about the problem I was having with my knee, he said that my knee cap in my left leg has some sort of syndrome where it can slide laterally and medially and that it's basically a strength imbalance of my quads and interior calf. (time for more unilateral exercises...)
    Chiropractic is a crapshoot... but then again so is most medical help (GP's: grrr). I've had good and bad experiences.

About your experience:
    Free consultation: RUN AWAY!!!! They are trying you to get you hooked on a "treatment plan" where you come back over and over and give them lots of money. RED FLAG! The first consultation/treatment will take (should take) WAY longer than any subsequent adjustments because they must assess your condition and history.

X-rays and electrographs? A good chiropractor will be able to tell a ton about your spine by just feeling it with their fingers. Don't need all that fancy crap except in extreme cases.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM
    Check out an activator method chiropractor. They are more precise.
    Don't listen to this guy. Activators are a bunch of crap. You need somebody that is good with their hands.

If they are talk with you about getting to the source of your problems, and changes in your lifestyle or activity that will help your problem, you probably have a good chiropractor. If the only solution to your problem they offer is chiropractic, you probably have a quack who will try to get you to come back regularly for adjustments, possibly seriously injuring you in the process.

Find somebody else.... Good luck!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 2:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Shi Dist
    If they are talk with you about getting to the source of your problems, and changes in your lifestyle or activity that will help your problem, you probably have a good chiropractor. If the only solution to your problem they offer is chiropractic, you probably have a quack who will try to get you to come back regularly for adjustments, possibly seriously injuring you in the process.

Find somebody else.... Good luck!
    Excellent point. the thing is that very few chiropractors will do that, and when a chiropractor does, he isn't practicing chiropractic medicine. Sort of like a wing chun guy who learns BJJ, enters and wins MMA tournaments using submissions, yet attributes his success to wing chun.

I realize that some do take a more comprehensive approach, but in that case you need to be sure that the chiro. actually knows what he's doing. This is why I recommend physiatrists. Their training is far superior when it comes to that sort of thing. I even think a physical therapist would be better than a chiro, but not as good as a physiatrist.

Chiropractic medicine is about adjusting the spine. If you take a step back and think logically about it, IF your spine needs "adjusted", there's a reason for it. Spinal problems don't occur in a vacum. It may be poor posture, ligaments which are either too loose or too tight. Poor body mechanics when performing certain movements. Muscle imbalances. Etc, etc. Simply adjusting your spine is not going to fix the problem, it's a temporary band-aid at best, and dangerous at worst.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Orthopaedist told me that the only way to have a perfect spine and to have no muscle tension would be if I were in zero g with an iv of muscle relaxers. Like most of you, I think the Chiro is bullshit. I just wish I could enlighten the girl I'm with about it. She's super into that, fluffy bunnies, being nice and being a Vegan. I have no idea how we get along.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 3:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Orthopaedist told me that the only way to have a perfect spine and to have no muscle tension would be if I were in zero g with an iv of muscle relaxers. Like most of you, I think the Chiro is bullshit. I just wish I could enlighten the girl I'm with about it. She's super into that, fluffy bunnies, being nice and being a Vegan. I have no idea how we get along.
    Dude, you're dating a vegan? That's just nasty! She better be talented when it comes to> :lame:

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 3:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also don't get why everybody thinks chiropractic is wholistic. Alternative, perhaps, however I don't even think you can call it alternative anymore. It's pretty mainstream.

But, it was never wholistic. Nothing wholistic about attempting to solve every physical problem by cracking your spine.

Also nothing about cracking spines makes me think about fluffy bunnies. Now, massage often makes me think about fluffy beaver, but that's another story.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 3:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't relating spine cracking to fluffy bunnies. It's just that she is a Vegan, belongs to PETA (the lame one, not Tasty Anims,) is liberal, nice, loves fluffy bunnies, wants everyone to win at games, etc. I'm the exact opposite, I like eating raw to rare red meat, I enjoy eating animals, liberals are a bunch of pussies, I'm about as nice as a pcp'd wolverine and I prefer to destroy the competition.

I don't think Chiropractics is wholistic, but it lends itself to too much BS. It's like the Wing Chun of medicine. I'm sure someone somewhere is good at it, but it's mostly a lot of useless lap sau and 1-2 sparring drills.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 4:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't relating spine cracking to fluffy bunnies. It's just that she is a Vegan, belongs to PETA (the lame one, not Tasty Anims,) is liberal, nice, loves fluffy bunnies, wants everyone to win at games, etc. I'm the exact opposite, I like eating raw to rare red meat, I enjoy eating animals, liberals are a bunch of pussies, I'm about as nice as a pcp'd wolverine and I prefer to destroy the competition.

I don't think Chiropractics is wholistic, but it lends itself to too much BS. It's like the Wing Chun of medicine. I'm sure someone somewhere is good at it, but it's mostly a lot of useless lap sau and 1-2 sparring drills.
    Wow, I'd love to hear the conversations you two have. Must be a riot. :new_all_c

Some of the best relationships I've had were with women who had very different perspectives than I, but I couldn't see any of them lasting, and they didn't. Still had a great time though, for a while. :blob9:

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 4:36pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chiropracter lineage wars?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast