Posted On:
    11/26/2005 1:52am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chiropractors

What's everyone's opinions on them?

I went to one about three weeks ago for a 'free' consultation. He took some x-rays and used this Electro graph or something to measure the tension in my back. He said I had subluxation, and that my back is very "flat." I also talked to him about my knee problem, and he said he can fix it, did something with my foot to measure the strength and spitted off jargon about how this is effecting my sleep, Spinal deteroriation, blah blah blah. Essentially he said he can make me better, stronger, faster, with chiropractics. I've heard mixed reactions about them and I've also seen the bullshit episode on them. If it's worth it and it'll make me better for lifting, MA and my work then I'm all for it, but I'm not gonna be roped into bullshit. Have at it.

On a side note, went to an orthopedist two weeks ago (wanted a second opinion) to ask him about the problem I was having with my knee, he said that my knee cap in my left leg has some sort of syndrome where it can slide laterally and medially and that it's basically a strength imbalance of my quads and interior calf. (time for more unilateral exercises...)

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 1:59am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Errr... I wouldn't trust that particular chiropracter. Fix knee problems by aligning your spine? I'm not buying it.

I used to go to a chiropracter to fix my scoliosis. Worked out OK, I suppose. My back is definately better.

Get a third opinion from another chiropracter to compare.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 2:11am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know for a fact thatwhen your back is out, everything goes out of whack.

I couldn't walk for a month due to a L5 tear. Everything hurt, nothing was in alignment.

If you don't trust this Chiro, take PL's advice, seek another.

Best money I've spent on myself, bar none.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 2:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chiropractics is alright. Oddly, it's GP's I don't trust. I'm pretty sure that Chiro's have just as much training as regular MD's, but take extra training to specialize on the skeleton.

Also, a lot of things can be fixed by going to a chiropractor. weirdest one I heard of is Hemmroids. Get headaches often? see a chiro. trouble sleeping? depressed? yup, chiro. weird ****.

edit: I like to agree with Anthony. and it's not because he has a freaking arsenal.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 2:33am

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    ... he said that my knee cap in my left leg has some sort of syndrome where it can slide laterally and medially and that it's basically a strength imbalance of my quads and interior calf. (time for more unilateral exercises...)

Sounds like AM and PL have similar problems with their knees.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 2:51am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quikfeet509
    Sounds like AM and PL have similar problems with their knees.

Oh?

Yeah I've read they can fix tons of stuff from aligning your back. He told me that I had a forward posture. Who knows, I've always been told I've had a great posture.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 3:09am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know what my condition is anymore, so I can't say. I'll be going to another doctor in a few weeks. Maybe a chiro if you say they can help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 9:12am

Style: HungGar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out an activator method chiropractor. They are more precise.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 9:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AM:

You went to a *free* consultation? That smells. He did x-rays and an EMG (Electromyleogram) and told you that you hade a subluxation and a flat back?
    If you have muscle spasam in your back, it is likely that you will have a loss in the lordodic curvature. I'm more concerned with the subluxation comment because I think that it is a catch all word used by quack chiropractors. A true subluxation is when the the spinous process breaks and one vertebral body moves anteriorily over another, there are "grades" of subluxation depending on how far it moved. A pseudosubluxation is when there is no break but the veterbral body slips anteriorily. You should be able to see if you have any sort of subluxation by looking at the lateral view of your x-ray.

Anyway, to answer your question, good chiros are good, bad chiros are bad. You've got to find one that knows what they're doing.

On to the knee. I had some knee problems at one time from over training. I went to the chiro, he palpatated it and pretty much said there wasn't anything he could do, just for me to give it a rest. I did, and the knee is fine. I don't see how a chiro can adjust your knee and expect it to work the same way as aligning a spine. But then again, I'm no doctor.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    11/26/2005 9:43am

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'll just say what every one else says. Some are good, some are bad. I've used one before, helped my back tremendously, actually thinking of going again. But some chiro's are quacks and big into holistic and new age hippie therapies as well. Just trust your gut instinct on this particular chiro.
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast