Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 5:44pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What knocks people out?

So I was watching that slam highligt clip and started to wonder what it is in a throw/takedown/slam that knocks people out. In my first BJJ competition I was - according to the ones who witnessed it - thrown pretty brutally and had the other guy land on top of me but but barely felt a thing as my mind seemed to be elsewhere at the moment. :new_angel
    Is it getting the wind knocked out of you that does it or is it the result of the brain smacking into the inside of the head like from a punch?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 5:51pm

Style: BJJ,MT,Wrestling,Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had the wind knocked out of me countless times, but i've only been knocked out once. Highschool football player blindsided me with a fist to the temple when i was in Jr. Highschool after i jumped on his younger cousin. I'd say it's the brain smacking the inside of the skull, but that's just my assumption.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 6:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The following analogy might help.

Think of your skull as an elevator (albeit one that can move in 3 dimensions) and your brain as the people inside of the elevator.

When the elevator is moving normally, the forces are manageable and the people inside are nicely cushioned.

But say someone disables the safety mechanism and cuts the cable so that the lift goes into freefall. What happens to the people inside? What happens to them when the lift's freefall is abruptly stopped?

Exactly.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 6:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My guess is that you get knocked out when.......you get DROPPED ON YOUR HEAD/NECK!!!

But as described, you get KO'd when your brain touches the side of your skull.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 6:59pm

Style: PersonalDefenseReadiness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Concerning many throws, it is the so called whiplash-effect which knocks ppl. out, when the head touches the ground shortly after the throw itself in a whiplike motion as a result of the throws inertia (hopefully I got those words rightv :cool: )

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF
    Is it getting the wind knocked out of you that does it
    No.
    or is it the result of the brain smacking into the inside of the head like from a punch?
    Yes.

This is why judoka train breakfalls so much.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 8:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I seem to recall a discussion on this from the days of yore.

Someone brought up something about various tissues in the brain having varying densities, and something about the respective inertia and momentum of these tissues relative to one another.

Your brain doesn't just float inside the bone. It's surrounded by various linings and retainers (pia mater, and dura mater etc.)

Just throwing that out there if anyone cares to look into it further.

It's a given we all possess knock-out power, it's just...ya know. Same with outstanding pain tolerance. :lame:

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 8:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KeinHaar
    I seem to recall a discussion on this from the days of yore.

Someone brought up something about various tissues in the brain having varying densities, and something about the respective inertia and momentum of these tissues relative to one another.

Your brain doesn't just float inside the bone. It's surrounded by various linings and retainers (pia mater, and dura mater etc.)

Just throwing that out there if anyone cares to look into it further.

It's a given we all possess knock-out power, it's just...ya know. Same with outstanding pain tolerance. :lame:
    It's really an interesting question. I haven't looked into it in a few years, but as recently as maybe 10 yrs. ago, the medical community was unable to precisely pinpoint the exact physiological cause of being knocked out. It's clearly a result of some sort of trauma to the brain, but as far as exactly why or what, as of 10 yrs. ago there was no consensus.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 9:11pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only time I've ever been knocked out was due to me being punched in the jaw while winded and breathing out of my mouth. Apparently the open jaw makes it a lot easier to knock someone out.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 9:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did your old man catch you sleeping?
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast