Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 6:49am

Style: FMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stetching for grappling

First of all apologies if this has been done to death. Blame it on me being a noobie here. I did a search and came up with nothing (but that could just show I am crap at searching) :)

How many of you guys who grapple actively stretch to improve your grappling?

You see some very bendy groundfighters (Jason Millar/Gerald Strebendt) for example) and imo it seems fairly obvious why having very flexible hips, etc would help your guard game etc.... Yet it appears to me that few grapplers stretch routinely in the way a striker/kicker normally would.

If you do stretch for grappling are there any particular stretches you use that differ to the regular stretches taught in MA classes?

Cheers,

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 7:07am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As you know, I'm only a noob when it comes to grappling, but going from my limited experience the neck stretches were a little different from my stand-up classes. I'm thinking of the one where you put your forehead on the floor, raising up with your legs and using your neck and head for balance.

Although having said that, those pics are actually from a boxing site; I've only ever done them in a grappling class.

By the way, how is the Heathrow thing going?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 7:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Slideyfoot,

thanks for that...I was thinking more about hips/legs/back stretches rather than bridging.

Heathrow is no more unfortunately. I moved out of the area and couldn't keep it going. A number of the regulars did stupid things like go off to university and the like :) so it wasn't really sustainable :(. Shame really as there was some good training there.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 8:00am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is a shame; apart from the mats, some of the best training I've had.

I'd PM this, but as you don't have them turned on (or are new members not allowed PM?) - where are you training now? Would be cool to meet up for training again, if you happen to be anywhere along the Metropolitan, Bakerloo or District lines?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 8:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Think new members need to earn their PM inbox :)

Actually am not a million miles from you in Bucks. Would love to do some training at some stage. I'm sure I've got your email addy somewhere in the depths of my archives - will drop you a line. Would be good to sort something out.

My training has gone to **** in the past few months to be honest since I moved house. I'm training with a local Ju Jitsu group on and off. While it's not bad it's not what I'm looking for.