Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 5:17am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Speed

what are some good training excercises and drills to develop physical speed? I'm not looking to hear thati've got to relax or anything. just looking for good speed training.

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 8:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since you do wing chun, concentrate on running away without prancing.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 8:54am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingpooky117
    I'm not looking to hear thati've got to relax or anything.
    Well, if you haven't noticed yet, people you probably percieve as fast, never really had to work very hard at it. Not for the lion's share of their gift, anyway.

My junior year, we did some track stuff in gym. Teacher demands to know why I never joined the track team.

Let's put that into proper perspective:

-I lifted weights back then, and completely neglected everything below my pecs.

-I played no sports, much less any activity which even remotely focused on running mechanics.

The work was done for me approximately 17 years prior, and I had nothing to do with it.

Whatever speed we're even talking about here is already established. Improvements will be marginal and confined to training a specific task which you want to improve....marginally. If you're "average" you're going to be "average+a miniscule improvement." You're not going to find yourself in the "above average" category...ever.

I hate to even engage such a nebulous concept, but....I hope the bottom line made sense.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 8:55am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^And what Shuma said.

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 9:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KeinHaar
    Well, if you haven't noticed yet, people you probably percieve as fast, never really had to work very hard at it. Not for the lion's share of their gift, anyway.

My junior year, we did some track stuff in gym. Teacher demands to know why I never joined the track team.

Let's put that into proper perspective:

-I lifted weights back then, and completely neglected everything below my pecs.

-I played no sports, much less any activity which even remotely focused on running mechanics.

The work was done for me approximately 17 years prior, and I had nothing to do with it.

Whatever speed we're even talking about here is already established. Improvements will be marginal and confined to training a specific task which you want to improve....marginally. If you're "average" you're going to be "average+a miniscule improvement." You're not going to find yourself in the "above average" category...ever.

I hate to even engage such a nebulous concept, but....I hope the bottom line made sense.

No truer words have ever been spoken.

Speed is genetic, that's why, no matter HOW MUCH you train, you will never be a 100 meter world class runner, UNLESS you are already VERY close to it before you start training.

That said, the usual stuff such as proper technique and working on moving/hitting speed drills, are really your only options.
    Now, TIMING, that is something that you can wotk on and THAT makes up for any lack of speed you may have.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 9:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that you can never train to be the fastest in the world, but you can train to be fast.

A good way is lightweights (free weights). Lifting weights over and over again will help improve speed and strength. You don't want to build your body like Arnie,etc, but more of a Brad-Pitt-in-fight-club kind of body.

Lots of skipping, lots of swimming

Good luck

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamon Guy
    I agree that you can never train to be the fastest in the world, but you can train to be fast.

A good way is lightweights (free weights). Lifting weights over and over again will help improve speed and strength. You don't want to build your body like Arnie,etc, but more of a Brad-Pitt-in-fight-club kind of body.

Lots of skipping, lots of swimming

Good luck
    :violent1: The only thing lifting light weights is good for is killing time. If you're not lifting heavy there's no point to lifting at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 9:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You probably won't be an olympic athlete, but you can increase your speed dramatically with proper training. Speed is neuromuscular efficiency. Lifting and practicing the sport through complex drills involving accuracy and aglility will improve "speed".

Also, a Brad Pitt body is the last thing you want.

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 7:14pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speed as it pertains to martial arts is a little different than who's faster in a footrace.

Sure, there is just raw speed, in regards to kicks, punches, and shoots. But what makes more of a difference is timing, being fluid in cominations and transitions, and reaction time. You won't increase how fast you are too drastically. Timing, fluidity, and reactions can all be improved substantially.

For timing, focus mitts are nice. For stand up fluidity, shadow boxing and heavy bag work. For groundwork, doing lots of transitional work and rolling/throwing. For reaction time, broken rythm attack and defend drills and focus mitts. Most importantly, spar, spar, spar.

All of the terminology/concepts that I'm taking about tend to overlap, so please don't nitpick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 4:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateNinja5000
    :violent1: The only thing lifting light weights is good for is killing time. If you're not lifting heavy there's no point to lifting at all.
    Just like there is no point shadow boxing....?

Using light weights develop your triceps but not for strength, for repetitive movement.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast