Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2005 9:48pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

illegal judo techniques

recently our judo class had a session on some of the techniques that are not allowed in judo competition (edit. i forget the name, can someone help me out here) i found this quite interesting and i'm wondering if anyone can reccomend any good dvd's/books/websites/anything ?

for the non-judo people some common techniques that are illegal in judo competition
    - certain throws ie. scissor throw (kani basami *typo?* )
    - neck cranks
    - leglocks/ankle locks

if anyone can give me a hand here, i'd be grateful
    Last edited by roly; 11/24/2005 9:52pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2005 9:58pm

Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://judoinfo.com/techjudo.htm

Pretty well-known site, but it does mention illegal techniques in some detail. The only thing on your list I couldn't find while skimming over the pages just now was anything about leglocks, but that doesn't mean it's not on the site somewhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2005 10:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've already skimmed over judoinfo, not in great detail.(i will later tonight) but all i could find was a picture of the scissor throw, and a picture of a pickup/slam. i am looking for something that goes into detail

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    11/24/2005 10:59pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo has a lot of techniques that are not allowed in competition. 99% of them are due to safety concerns. Do Judo for any length of time and you will find out why. Judo has an extremely high accident injury rate already with just the legal techniques. Adding in the illegal ones makes it, IMHO, one of the most dangerous martial arts to practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2005 11:53pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    does that make bjj one of the most dangerous martial arts to practics as many of those illegal judo moves are legal in bjj?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 12:16am

Style: Judo + Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's rumoured that Kani Basami is going to be brought back in (or so says one of my judo instructors.) I think the incident that lead to the ban ( a leg break at an all-Japan tournament) happened in 1980, so its about time they (the IJF) reviewed the policy at least.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 12:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo has a lot of techniques that are not allowed in competition. 99% of them are due to safety concerns. Do Judo for any length of time and you will find out why. Judo has an extremely high accident injury rate already with just the legal techniques. Adding in the illegal ones makes it, IMHO, one of the most dangerous martial arts to practice.
    in our lesson, we were just learning the technique, no randori (resisting sparring) using them, but yeah i fully agree that judo is quite dangerous (its the noobs to be careful of rather than the blackbelts)

does that make bjj one of the most dangerous martial arts to practics as many of those illegal judo moves are legal in bjj?
    no, several reasons why
    - some of the moves are illegal in bjj anyway (scissor takedowns, leglocks for whitebelts, pickup and slam etc)
    - bjj is mostly trained already on the ground, no-where near the amount of falling compared to a judo practice

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 9:11am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roly
    recently our judo class had a session on some of the techniques that are not allowed in judo competition (edit. i forget the name, can someone help me out here) i found this quite interesting and i'm wondering if anyone can reccomend any good dvd's/books/websites/anything ?

for the non-judo people some common techniques that are illegal in judo competition
    - neck cranks
    - leglocks/ankle locks

What exactly are you asking? Do you want a list of all the illegal techniques, or do you want examples of how to do the illegal techniques? If the latter, why?

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 9:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the basic stuff you are taught is legal in judo, so, stick with that stuff and you well do fine.
    Look at all the competions, Nationa, Worlds and Olympic, no one ever won them with "exotic" or "advanced" techniques.
    Master the basics and they will serve you well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2005 5:09pm

Style: PersonalDefenseReadiness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roly

- neck cranks
    - leglocks/ankle locks

... besides the ones you mentioned:

"dropped" waki-gatame [tori does waki gatame from standing position whilst dropping his body weight onto ukes ellbow joint, ending up in waki-gatame on the ground]

a certain version of the khabarelli-throw

slamming ppl who are using guard
    Last edited by sui generis; 11/25/2005 6:32pm at .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast