Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/21/2005 8:47pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Critique my sparring again

I was sparring a lot at the last throwdown. Here are the vids. They are pretty small files. Some are pure grappling, others are MMA style. I tried to keep my hands up high but they kept creeping back down low. Please critique the sparring. If you can explain what techniques I should do at what time, that would help too(grappling and striking techs).

You need to download the codec FIRST: the codec
    Otherwise you will only hear sound and have no video.

MMA vids:

vid1
    vid2
    vid3 (this one was light/medium contact)
    vid4
    vid5
    vid6

Grappling vids:

vid1
    vid2
    vid3
    vid4
    vid5
    vid6

Posted On:
    11/21/2005 8:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am in the dark green T-shirt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2005 9:28pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, as another TKDer, I would say to mix up your kicks a bit more. You're telegraphing that side kick by standing sideways for it, and it seems to be basically all you throw (in the vids that is). If you stand that sideways, you're very vulnerable to a leg kick. At least edge the knee of that leg outward so the leg isn't such a target. Also, keep your elbows in more, you were eating JFS's low punches like crazy

I'm not too experienced with grappling (around 3 months BJJ) but from what I saw, you were looking ok. I noticed in one of the clips, some big guy was pushing and elbowing your legs while in your guard? There's no need to open your guard to that. There's a guy at my school who does the same thing, it's just useless. In fact since their arm is so low, it's possible to pop your leg over it and go for a triangle, if you think you can get it. Try to keep your elbows in a lot, especially in guard when you ate that arm triangle (might have been the last vid).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2005 9:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the MMA vids: How long have you been practicing the basics? The reason I ask is because your punches and kicks don't have any conviction to them. They are not formidable in the least, and you are favoring the same stepping side kick over and over again (which is easily countered when telegraphed or not timed correctly). Basically--you need to work on timing, and you need to stop passing up good shots. You'll do better once you have some more time under your belt. And get those punches and kicks a little sharper with some force behind them. Oh...one more thing...don't turn around and start spinning your hands in a helicopter motion--it doesn't work that well most of the time.

For the grappling vids: I liked the kimura/key lock in that first vid...looks like the guy had no idea it was coming. The second video I probably would've gone for the butterfly guard with some body control to eventually reverse his mount or just kicked the guy off--he didn't seem to have a lot of grappling experience either.

*thought: does anyone know how to sprawl anymore?!

Cross your legs when you've been side mounted to help the guy on top from passing into a full mount or guarded mount. Did you tap out because you were actually choked by his technique or his weight?!

It looks like at times you were simply in a daze and just didn't know what to do to gain a good position. Remember--position first. When you try to apply a gullotine and are taken to the ground fall in a guard. You almost had a nice turtle RNC there on the last vid...but the guy looked to be too squirmy for you to sinch it in. I thought you were going to get it but I guess you didn't have it tight enough. Practice practice. Same chokeout at the end as the fat guy did. You did well in many spots and it just takes time and practice. You will feel what goes where after a while and won't need people to tell you. Thanks for the vids!! I enjoyed them.
    Last edited by Vankuen; 11/22/2005 1:47am at .

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    11/22/2005 7:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're tensed up like a constipated octopus. Having a guard does not mean simply keeping your hands and arms at the preferred height, they need to protect you. In the JFS clip you look like someone has told you to "KEEP YOUR FUCKING GUARD UP" and you just keep them up there simply to "have a guard" and eat bodyshots like mad. Your punches and kicks are hesitant. It seems like the typical beginner "I don't want to hurt anybody" shots.

You have the reach advantage, but you don't use it. Or that is, you use it to keep people at bay when THEY attack. Using it to attack would be helpful. From what I saw you aren't offensive enough and have to work at defending yourself instead of using the reach to make the opponents defend themselves. Solution? More kicks, more punches. Aim and fire.

The grappling seems ok. You seem to have the same issue when grappling. You automatically focus so much on defense that you have nothing to attack with, unless you get a perfect window to go on the offensive. This may be due to the level of the opponents of course, but most times, offence is the best defence.

Also, position before submission. You try to get headlocks and keep it when you should be focusing on regaining guard. When people pass, you give up on the whole idea and it's like you feel like you've lost and "oh well, I guess they passed" If they pass it, get it back. If you can, sweep and get a better position. If you can't do what you want, at least secure the best position you can.

Edit: Just watched the last video.. When you got the "sidechoke" when you still had guard after him turning over from the back, he had NO base on the side of the arm, right? So with a little strength you could have pulled him over to that side and voila mount. From there, finish the choke or get off to the side to add more leverage to it. In one of the earlier vids i looks like you thought you got a sidechoke too, but you were on the wrong side of the arm you trapped :P

And move your hips more. In the last vid when he's jumping forward into you to choke, you still cling on and lock the guard. This is a typical newbie thing. Here you can just let go and push off the hips. Or let go and get him focused on something else, like passing. Also sticking to a closed guard is by all means not very effective in an all grappling environment. Get it open and attack. Offence before defence remember. With your long legs, don't let them control them. And the triangle should be a cakewalk for you :D

Like Vankuen said, a lot comes with practice. I'm not any good myself, but there are lots of things I can see that are sub par to the basics that HAVE to be proper. Videos are good though. For you to see yourself too. And save them if you can. In about a year or more you will look back at them and **** yourself when you see how much you sucked compared to where you will be then :D hehe.

Also DerAuslander, nice kicks. And JFS, you move great, and the little leg trips were cool ^^.
    (not that comments from me is really anything indicative :P )
    Last edited by fanatical; 11/22/2005 7:45am at .
    More human than human is our motto.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    11/22/2005 9:23am

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you fighting John Hackleman?!?!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/22/2005 9:53am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to say some specific things but your biggest problem is that you are not fighting your own fight. You are playing your opponents game in almost every clip. Make them come to you. You have an amazing reach advantage on most of these guys. USE IT. You can jab from some peoples kicking range. Jab jab jab round kick. Keep moving and don't let them get inside you. Learn to move comfortably in all direction. You can counter a lot of the rushes you faced with that sidekick you so love, just time it right.

Posted On:
    11/22/2005 5:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I was too focused on the step behind. I wanted to make everyone go flying with a step-behind and wasn't trying other stuff.

There were a few times when I wanted to do a triangle, but my foot was tucked under their leg and trapped there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2005 5:40pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whiteshark's opinion nicely sums up the way you sparred stand up.

Since you love sidekicks so much and seems to have good power in that sidekick. Plan your game to setup the sidekick, not using the sidekick all the time to catch opponents.

In any case, you seem to be more aggressive than the last throwdown vid, but still not aggressive enough and still have the some over-reliance on sidekicks for defense and offense. Know better of the range where you can kick safely, and the range where you can use your hand reach to jab people like crazy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2005 3:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh here's my first critique... stop taking TKD ;)

In vid1 when you go for the guillotine choke don't overhook the guys arm just grab your own hand that goes in for the choke. This will make the choke effective and alot tighter.

Also in vid1 don't turn so much to the side and if you do be prepared to turn back into a good ready stance immediately after. Don't stay in that side facing position.

EDIT: Last thing about vid1. You need to block those low kicks with your shin if you don't it's gonna cause you serious problems since you move around alot and throw lots of kicks.

In vid2 it's obvious you need to work on your hands. You need to keep your guard up and there were a couple times when he came into punching range for instance when he threw that jab to the head and cross to the body that you could have unloaded on your opponent. Your stance needs work it needs to be deeper and you need to keep more bend in your knees and your hands need to be up.

In vid3 you let your opponent control the pace of the fight. Make sure you don't just let him push you around with his footwork. Kicks need more snap. Same thing about the hands.

In vid4 your keeping your weight way to far back when you want to kick. You're leaving yourself open to a take down when you keep your weight back like that. Second thing is when you sprawl you need to stay with your body facing his head and constantly be working to either put that guy down into a bad position or push him off and throw hands into his head.

In vid5 he rushes you and you don't know what to do. Just keep calm. Working on your hands will help this. When he's got his rear hand down around his chest like that throw a high round kick and bludgeon the s**t out of his head. As for when he takes you down. Uhmmm there's alot. Just fight hard to put the guy in guard when he takes you down like that.

In vid6, well this isn't about you but whoever that other guy is I think that's the most hilarious rush I have ever seen I couldn't stop laughing when I saw it. I'm gonna call it the Frakenstein rush from now on. When a guy does something like that with no semblance of technique and he's obviously going for the takedown. Just load up a hook or something and blast the hell out of him. When he rushes you you turn your back again. Don't get flustered, keep calm and throw hands and stop kicks. Front kicks to the lower abdomen are PERFECT in a situation where a guy rushes in like that. When he clinches and spins you around. well.... just don't let him. Set your stance firmly then just scoot to the side and punch out of it.

Overall you need to learn not to worry about throwing your hands. You shouldn't probably use that side stance that you throw those side kicks from very much, you can get crossed up way to easily when your backing up. Lastly, throw more combos, this includes kicking combos as well there were a couple times that if you had pushed the fight then you could have dominated. When a guy rushes you try the mid level front kick to stop him then the high round kick. Try the good old round kick to the leg then re-load and throw a high round kick. Since you like to throw the side kick try the side kick then front kick, or try side kick to back kick then spin and hit the front kick.

P.S. DON'T GET FLUSTERED. Think about it that if that guy rushes you he's just putting himself in danger of getting himslef hit by you. He's the one taking the risk and there isn't much to you.
    Last edited by Loredon; 11/23/2005 3:23am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast