Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/21/2003 8:14am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol, i would like to see more of that again....now it's just man vs man...

"t's like they had a checklist, "Blocking... check. Parrying... check. Bob and weave... check. Grappling defense... oh, ****.""
    heh

hahaha Vargas

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
    "Just one more........rep!!! ARGH!!!" *Collapses*
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2003 8:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, stupidest post ever.

Posted On:
    4/24/2003 12:07pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    trollacious!

--

http://www.thaing.net/technique.htm
    Thanks to Blade Windu for link. Click on link and wait for codec install prompt. Then install and watch. Nasty fights.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2003 1:11pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <<<click, click>>>>
    I hear theirs a troll in here and I be aiming to chew bubble gum or kill a troll.

and I'm all out of bubble gum.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    4/27/2003 1:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <<<click, click>>>>
    I hear theirs a troll in here and I be aiming to chew bubble gum or kill a troll.

and I'm all out of bubble gum.

Go away I'm talking to myself
    Yes, yes Omega, I can rip off Stephen King TOO! Um.... "All that you love will be carried away."

As for the rest of you:

In my opinion, cross-training is fine for non-sportspeople; I myself have done some boxing, some wrestling, some karate and some African MA from Burkina Faso. It's my hope to be able to use all of these together, or rather the principles, as my own style. I hope I can manage it and I hope everyone else does too. I hope it will keep me fit and co-ordinated.

However, learning different techniques to the extent that they all merge into a homogenous blob is not sporty or artistic; it's tailoring certainly, but I wouldn't pass off a "mixed" style as being anything other than that, mixed.

A tournament should answer questions like, "Can a master wrestler beat a champion kickboxer? Can a Five Animal Styles high degree student beat a Tae Kwon Doist (the proper art from Korea, not the Westernised wankery) and what the hell is that little African doing head-butting the savatuer? (He's using Testa, you dolt.)

It's like mixing colours together until you get grey, in its current form. It will end up with no distinction whatsoever, especially if people don't continue practising MA for their artistic and sporting value.

I think to this end, people who have cross-trained should be seen in a different, but not inferior or superior, light.

I have brain damage; you are just a wanker.

"The streetfighter will always win!" Jerry, former wrestling boxing and judo champ
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2003 4:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear Brain Damage,

I think we settled stuff like that in the early UFC's and in the travels and "fights" of Rickson Gracie. So what is to be learned from such now??

At first, all such esoteric styles were beaten by bjj and similar styles. Now only crosstraining allows one to be competitive, and even bjj has become a McDojo, if it is still ok to use that term...

justa wanker

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    4/27/2003 8:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BECAUSE, Mr Wanker, seeing Ringen or Testa or Arte'Dell'abbraciare against BJJ would be FUN, and God only knows the results!

I have brain damage; you are just a wanker.

"The streetfighter will always win!" Jerry, former wrestling boxing and judo champ
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/27/2003 8:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BECAUSE, Mr Wanker, seeing Ringen or Testa or Arte'Dell'abbraciare against BJJ would be FUN, and God only knows the results!
    There's nothing stopping ppl from using that stuff now. Except maybe rules, but less rules sometimes equals more Permanently fucked up former champions.

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
    -Ghandi

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    4/30/2003 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, Os just pointed out something that a lot of folks ignore. BJJ and MMA gyms LOVE challenge matches, rules or no rules. I can pretty much guarantee that if a Karate/JJJ/Kung Fu/TKD guy called or stopped by a legitamate mixed martial arts or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school, they could have a challenge match set up in a matter of days, probably hours if your timing was right. My school (Jackson Gaidojutsu) used to have challengers walk in and ask for some combat every 4 months or so. That kind of thing has tapered off, especially since our pro guys started dominating KOTC and our school won Grappler's Quest in Vegas. Hell, I even wound up in a challenge submission match without even knowing it, on one occasion. And we're not assholes about it or anything. If anyone wants to walk in to our place and fight one of the established fighters, they are more than welcome.

And here's the thing. If some TMA guy walked in and did really well against some of our experienced fighters, I would take the guy seriously and probably ask for lessons. If some guy in a gi can own one of our pro fighters, he's the man in my book and I'll listen to anything he has to say about fighting. I'm more than willing to learn from someone that proves they know what they are talking about. He has to show me, though, he can't just talk the talk. Claiming you can beat the crap out of 5 guys at once or can kill a person with some kind of internal 'energy' doesn't cut it. One on one, full contact fighting. First one to submit loses. That's how you prove you can fight.

That's the problem most people have with TMAs. They talk a lot of ****, but don't even bother to drive 15 minutes across town to challenge the BJJ, MMA or Muay Thai guys that have an open door policy. If some TMA school was to call Greg and invite him and some of his baddest guys over for a challenge match, dudes would be begging Greg to let them tag along. Since that doesn't happen any more, I guess the point has been proven, at least in Albuquerque.

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Posted On:
    4/30/2003 12:51pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds like fun

--
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast