Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    11/19/2005 5:28pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Supplement quality?

Is there any actual difference between quality of vitamins and supplements, assuming they're the same thing?

Like paying $8.99 for the store brand Vitaminn C as opposed to buying something more expensive?
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    11/19/2005 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only buy generic vitamins. Generally, the "brand name" vitamins have like twice the dosage that you need, and if not, then you're just paying for the brand name. No point that I can see.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2005 8:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the answer is, "it depends". Consumer Reports sometimes analyzes supplements and has found huge differences in certain brands. Sometimes Sams Club, Costco, or drug store brands are equal or superior to more expensive brands. Other times, the more expensive brands are superior. Many supplement companies have very little quality control, others have very stringent quality control. It's really a crap shoot with most companies.

Cross contamination is a big deal among competitive athletes. I know Olympic Judoka sit through seminars on that topic. Many Olympic Judoka buy their supplements through Pure Encapsulations. They are known to be very stringent with their quality control. It's one of the few supplement companies that when you purchase something from them you know you're actually getting what the label says you're getting, that it will be of superior quality and that there will be no cross contamination. Pure Encapsulations only sells to health care providers and their prices are actually cheaper than what you'd pay in most health food stores or supplement shops. I'm sure there are other companies with a similar reputation, I just don't know who they are.

Personally, I would not purchase any bargain brand, drug store supplements unless the brand had been tested by an independent labratory and I knew I was actually getting what I paid for.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    11/19/2005 8:23pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Way to burst my bubble, lawdog.

Posted On:
    11/19/2005 9:10pm

Style: gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's why imo ity's really important to read up nutrition yourself and recommended daily intakes and other factors that contribute to exactly how much of what you're needing at any time, and then check the label to make sure that you're A.getting what you need and B. that you don't end up with too much of any particular thing that you end up toxic.

Basically, you usually do get what you pay for but rdi's vary from place to place and even company to company pending their whole synopsis on the purpose for the need.

That being said though, there are definately some reeeally dodgey manufactures around. Do a bit of reading for yourself , check your labels and do your own math. Saves alot of guess work and then we can all just get back to training.

cheers

Blooming Lotus

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/21/2005 12:26pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Multi-Vitamins have an inherent problem in that they contain chemicals that are intended to cancel each other out - take vitamin C and iron for example. When you mix the two (and oxidant and anti-oxidant) you get iron oxide - or rust.

More expensive vitamins are "controlled release" (NOT time-released, which is a marketing term as oppposed to a medical one.) Controlled released viamins are enrobed in titanium dioxide, which protects the mineral until it is digested by the stomach. This allows incompatable chemcials to be stored together in one pill. Yes - they will cost more, but they are very much worth it.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    11/21/2005 12:37pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One measure of quality is to stir a vitamin pill in vinegar. If it doesn't dissolve in a half hour, it won't dissolve in your stomach.

I too, buy generics. The US Pharmacopeia has a stringent requirement about vitamin and mineral supplements containing an authentic amount of nutrient. If it has the USP symbol on it, then it's quality controlled in that regard.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    11/21/2005 2:14pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    I think the answer is, "it depends". Consumer Reports sometimes analyzes supplements and has found huge differences in certain brands. Sometimes Sams Club, Costco, or drug store brands are equal or superior to more expensive brands. Other times, the more expensive brands are superior. Many supplement companies have very little quality control, others have very stringent quality control. It's really a crap shoot with most companies.

Cross contamination is a big deal among competitive athletes. I know Olympic Judoka sit through seminars on that topic. Many Olympic Judoka buy their supplements through Pure Encapsulations. They are known to be very stringent with their quality control. It's one of the few supplement companies that when you purchase something from them you know you're actually getting what the label says you're getting, that it will be of superior quality and that there will be no cross contamination. Pure Encapsulations only sells to health care providers and their prices are actually cheaper than what you'd pay in most health food stores or supplement shops. I'm sure there are other companies with a similar reputation, I just don't know who they are.

Personally, I would not purchase any bargain brand, drug store supplements unless the brand had been tested by an independent labratory and I knew I was actually getting what I paid for.

Yeah, what he said.

I also use Jarrow, Biogenesis, and Thorne. Practitioner discounts rock.

Oh, and if you are reading a bodybuilding magazine and all of the writers keep hyping the same product lines, it is probably a scam (read: muscletech and their "muscelmag" back in the late 90s).

Oh, and I'm not going to even touch teh deadly "best bioavailable form with accessory molecules that help with absorption and utilization" topic right now.
    Last edited by Quikfeet509; 11/21/2005 2:18pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2005 2:17pm

Style: wrestling, Bjj, fi ting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quikfeet509

Oh, and if you are reading a bodybuilding magazine and all of the writers keep hyping the same product lines, it is probably a scam (read: muscletech and their "muscelmag" back in the late 90s).

Except for Xience.... Right?

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    11/21/2005 2:29pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEtrainer
    Except for Xience.... Right?

Correct. I take them because I want to fit into the little shorts the ring girl is wearing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast