Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 1:55pm

Style: luk chua bik da

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

More evidence for intelligent design...

...being clunkier and less interesting than what occurs in nature without a designer.

Butterfly wings work like LEDs

Butterfly, Peter Vukusic
    The way light is extracted from the butterfly's system is more than an analogy - it's all but identical in design to the LED
    Pete Vukusic, University of Exeter
    When scientists developed an efficient device for emitting light, they hadn't realised butterflies have been using the same method for 30 million years.

Fluorescent patches on the wings of African swallowtail butterflies work in a very similar way to high emission light emitting diodes (LEDs).

These high emission LEDs are an efficient variation on the diodes used in electronic equipment and displays.

The University of Exeter, UK, research appears in the journal Science.

In 2001, Alexei Erchak and colleagues at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) demonstrated a method for building a more efficient LED.

Most light emitted from standard LEDs cannot escape, resulting in what scientists call a low extraction efficiency of light.

Ingenious design

The LED developed at MIT used a two-dimensional (2D) photonic crystal - a triangular lattice of holes etched into the LED's upper cladding layer - to enhance the extraction of light.

Butterfly, Peter Vukusic
    The butterflies use the fluorescent patches to signal each other
    And layered structures called Bragg reflectors were used to control the emission direction. These high emission devices potentially offer a huge step up in performance over standard types.

Pete Vukusic and Ian Hooper at Exeter have now shown that swallowtail butterflies evolved an identical method for signalling to each other in the wild.

Swallowtails belonging to the Princeps nireus species live in eastern and central Africa. They have dark wings with bright blue or blue-green patches.

The wing scales on these swallowtails act as 2D photonic crystals, infused with pigment and structured in such a way that they produce intense fluorescence.

Pigment on the butterflies' wings absorbs ultra-violet light which is then re-emitted, using fluorescence, as brilliant blue-green light.

Performance-enhancing bugs

Most of this light would be lost were it not for the pigment being located in a region of the wing which has evenly spaced micro-holes through it.

Butterfly, Peter Vukusic
    Two components of the scales enhance light emission
    This slab of hollow air cylinders in the wing scales is essentially mother nature's version of a 2D photonic crystal.

Like its counterpart in a high emission LED, it prevents the fluorescent colour from being trapped inside the structure and from being emitted sideways.

The scales also have a type of mirror underneath them to upwardly reflect all the fluorescent light that gets emitted down towards it. Again, this is very similar to the Bragg reflectors in high emission LEDs.

"Unlike the diodes, the butterfly's system clearly doesn't have semiconductor in it and it doesn't produce its own radiative energy," Dr Vukusic told the BBC News website "That makes it doubly efficient in a way.

"But the way light is extracted from the butterfly's system is more than an analogy - it's all but identical in design to the LED."

Dr Vukusic agreed that studying natural designs such as this could help scientists improve upon manmade devices.

"When you study these things and get a feel for the photonic architecture available, you really start to appreciate the elegance with which nature put some of these things together," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4443854.stm

I just thought this was kind of cool, can't contribute anything to the science side of it. Enjoy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 2:01pm

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is this evidence for ID?

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 2:06pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lightning bugs man, lightning bugs.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 2:11pm

Style: luk chua bik da

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannibalCrowley
    How is this evidence for ID?
    You didn't read the rest of the sentence. Evidence for intelligent design being clunkier and less interesting than what occurs through nature without the interference of a designer.

i.e. the butterfly is amazing, LED's not as much, led's were made by an intelligent designer, no evidence exists that butterflies ever were.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 3:12pm

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, paw didn't learn us our readin' too good.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A guy on a now defunct forum made a post once that if there was a force designing things, he/she was an idiot. He offered proof by pointing out that the retina in the eye has the rods and cones on the surface instead of underneath, thus causing a blind spot where the nerve bundle then had to pass through the retina. (The nerves floating around above the imaging surface also limit the theoretical limit of visual acuity.)

Would an intelligent designer create such an obviously flawed imaging device? And, if so, wouldn't he/she get around to fixing it before replicating it to millions of species, save one (the cuttlefish)?
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 11/18/2005 4:23pm at .

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 5:32pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManchu
    You didn't read the rest of the sentence. Evidence for intelligent design being clunkier and less interesting than what occurs through nature without the interference of a designer.

i.e. the butterfly is amazing, LED's not as much, led's were made by an intelligent designer, no evidence exists that butterflies ever were.
    I was so about to rip you a new one for turning crazy, but then I reread that line.

Definitely a cool article.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal