Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 5:36pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three things.

1. I'd remove first bullet because no where in Info pack did it say exclusively through vid.

2. I'd replace word fraud with deceptions or imitations.

3. I'd also send in print out copy of IBJJA Info pack along with the letter. So Mr. Moreira can just read the copy immediately.

Good luck.

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 5:38pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use "frauds, unethical business practices, and poor standards" in the place of "frauds".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 5:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bud Shi Dist--
    I applaud your sack, but as a blue, you might want to think twice about calling out a Joe Moreira black (and, implicitly, JM himself) in the name of the integrity of "our" art; you could make yourself persona non grata pretty fast. I think you'd do better to post this info over at the jiu jitsu gear forum and get a critical mass of experienced practitioners involved. They won't let it pass, and an inquiry coming from within the BJJ community will probably go over better than one than from an obscure website devoted to MA fraud-busting.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arggh.

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 5:44pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Feel free to cross-post the link to this thread wherever will help generate the most activity. JJgear is a good start.

If this **** takes hold, there will be major problems with BJJ's credibility.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 6:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G8
    Bud Shi Dist--
    I applaud your sack, but as a blue, you might want to think twice about calling out a Joe Moreira black (and, implicitly, JM himself) in the name of the integrity of "our" art; you could make yourself persona non grata pretty fast. I think you'd do better to post this info over at the jiu jitsu gear forum and get a critical mass of experienced practitioners involved. They won't let it pass, and an inquiry coming from within the BJJ community will probably go over better than one than from an obscure website devoted to MA fraud-busting.
    Iím not calling anyone out G8... Iím sure Jerry (and Joe) would mop the mat up with me, but thatís not what the issue is here. So I donít see what my personal rank has to do with this... The only reason I bring it up in the letter is to identify who I am and where I am coming from. Jerry is watering down BJJ under the auspice of Joe Moriera. What does Joe think about this? Thatís all I want to know... What he thinks means a heck of a lot more than what any of us thinks.

Thanks for all the suggestions... Here is the latest draft, printing soon...

Dear Mr. Moreira,

My name Is *, I am a blue belt under Jeff Clark, a Roy Harris Black Belt. I am also a member of Bullshido.net, an internet site that investigates frauds, unethical business practices, and poor standards in the martial arts.

Today I came across this e-mail. I thought you might be concerned about what your black belt student Jerry Laurita is doing. These seem to be a gross abuse of the principles of BJJ:

• Teaching and testing through video, including certifying instructors
    • Creating a whole new BJJ belt system with nine different levels
    • Giving instructors a dark navy blue belt which could easily be mistaken for a masters black belt rank

As the person who awarded Jerry his Black Belt, I would like to know what your thoughts are on this mater. I will share your response on our forum topic discussing this, which is viewable at the following address:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29071

I am afraid that if this is issue not addressed, the credibility of rank in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu may be diminished. Thanks for your time in helping to defend the integrity of our art.

Best Wishes, *
    Also, I have noticed that Mike Massieís class list no longer says BJJ on it as it did earlier today, it just says Jiu Jitsu.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't BJJ schools generally have 'open mat' policies for anybody who wants to test their **** in MMA sparring ?

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 6:27pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys.

I agree this is against the spirit of BJJ, and against the spirit of sportmanship.
    I agree this will lead to "belt inflation".

But we don't have any other than moral(?) leverage here. What do you think Moreira is going to do (if he's not in it with Laurita)? Call Laurita and beat him up? This is business. Laurita is a legitimate black belt. Unless we can point out an illegal business practice in his enterprise (which I doubt we can), we do not have a case.

There is no single governing body for BJJ.
    There's no authority that can judge this.
    There's no standards.

All we can do is stirr up **** and see what happens, but I wouldn't be very optimistic.
    People tend to be very boneheaded when it comes to business and making money.

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 6:29pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Don't BJJ schools generally have 'open mat' policies for anybody who wants to test their **** in MMA sparring ?
    Yeah, but why let this bullshit go unnoticed? The fact of the matter is, grappling, bjj, and sport bjj especially, require a finesse you can't obtain easily through video. No one should be learning like that, frankly.

Unless you are just amazingly talented, BJJ proficiency requires lots of mat time with good opponents. I fail to see how his video system accounts for mat time. This is fucking bullshit and I am furious.

Even if his tapes are amazing in quality and instruction (which I doubt), they will not provide the personalization needed for skill to develop.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 6:30pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    All we can do is stirr up **** and see what happens, but I wouldn't be very optimistic.
    People tend to be very boneheaded when it comes to business and making money.

Tomas
    At this point I would not be opposed to stirring up a bunch of ****.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast