Administrator

Posted On:
    9/17/2006 9:26pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urso
    Ok. First I have to say that the first day I met the "instructor" I was not impressed. I told him I was a 2nd or 3rd degree blue belt (which is total BS, I just got my blue in Oct.) So, he asks me to join in on his Saturday class. I said OK. Now here is where it get a little tricky. I just had a vasectomy and I was feeling a little concerned about rolling so soon. But, what the hell.

So, I arrived at the school with my son. (the class is for children and adults?--whatever) My son is 4yrs old. We show up and these guys are kind of warming up. I couldn't believe it. The were doing a little of this and a little of that. So, I took it upon myself to insure my son and I warmed up properly. Needless to say, they joined in.

The instructor introduced me and said that I will be "helping out" when ever I can visit. (what the hell?) He didn't know me, he had no idea of my skills--other than what I said. So, it comes time for him to show his students some moves. He started out by showing a modified hip throw. --whatever.

Finally, we get to roll. Now, remember I told the guy I was an established blue belt. I rolled with one of his blue belt candidates. He was quick and strong, but no technique. I rolled with the "dark blue belt" instructor. I was not impressed. He felt week and tired. He was also out of shape-- blue belt I don't think so. So, we rolled for about 5 min. I pulled guard and sweeped him with ease. My son was having fun rolling with the other kids. So, I decided OK-- now I know I will not be in any kind of danger with this guy, let's see what he's got. I gave him side and easily pulled full guard again. I gave him full mount. Got out quickly. I even gave him my back to see what kind of skills he had. NOTHING. I finally said OK time to school this guy. I was able to slap an americana on him as he yelled, OK time is up. Whatever.

After class all his students asked when I would be back so they can roll with me. He approached me and said to come back anytime--no charge. I thought, ****, if I can get some free rolling time and let my son take out some kids, cool. My son will be 5 in march and I will let him start competing next year. So, is there anything wrong with this. Some how It just doesn't feel right to me.

What say you guys?
    I pay 120.00 a month at American Top Team. Every BJJ instructor is a Black Belt. I can't see how this guy is charging so much. :(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 3:32am

Style: Kuk Sul Do/Capoeira/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    news flash. I know this is an old item but I had to share this. I stopped by the McDojo a few months ago and they explained they were looking for someone to teach the BJJ class. Well, I stopped by last week and to my surprise I saw someone I know teaching the class. The McDojo is now legit. The have a solid BJJ Black Belt teaching the class now. I walked in and right away the BB came over and said " Hey Bro, what the hell are doing way out here?" I told him that I lived in the is small town and drove the 45min to train BJJ. We talked for a while and left it as, I can show up whenever and train. He asked me to stop by any time. Now, the McDojo had money to get a well known world BJJ player. So, do we still this school a McDojo? I don't think so. What do you guys say?

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 11:11pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they hired someone with those credentials, and they stay, no, they're not a McDojo as long as they keep dark blue belt away from teaching anyone.

Posted On:
    12/09/2006 11:21pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can have qualified instructors and still run a McDojo. You can be a badass and still believe in bullshido.

But having a BJJ Black Belt goes a long way towards offsetting any of the rest of the crap they may teach at that school, especially if the classes are separate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 2:19am

Style: Kuk Sul Do/Capoeira/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The classes are separate. The insturctor is someone I've known for a few years. He is a great BJJ player and good person. Now, the rest of the school maybe a McDojo but now I know the BJJ class is legit. I hope they have some of the student compete soon. Maybe then they won't be considered a McDojo. (at least not the BJJ classes)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 6:41pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, Judo, WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by C 'Quence
    Thanks for the update!

Has anyone gone any further with their attempts to dismantle the Bullshidofication of Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu? The other day I tried to check out www.ibjja.org and got an error page that asked "If you are the owner of this website, please call ......) , and now there is a page up there that makes it look like the website was donated to GoDaddy.com, whateverthehell that is!? At the top of the page, this is displayed:

"This page is parked free, courtesy of GoDaddy.com"

so did they give up?, or are they hiding...er... I mean, "relocate"?
    BREAKING BULLSHIDO NEWS-

Looks like that's back on line...what's more, they are building a "new and improved" site to "better serve" their members...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 8:35pm

Style: Judo, BJJ & Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard BJJ is a McDojo version of Judo created by Helio because Judo dan grades are hard to get? If this is the case the above program won't make much difference.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 8:38pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ WHAT THE ****?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 2:25am

Style: BJJ, MMA, Judo, WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BomberH
    I heard BJJ is a McDojo version of Judo created by Helio because Judo dan grades are hard to get? If this is the case the above program won't make much difference.
    Ok, if you aren't a troll, then you heard some real stupid bullshit.

Who said that? Whoever it is, (and also you for not knowing) needs to do some serious research.

Or you can go buy this book-

"Mastering JuJitsu" by Renzo Gracie and John Danaher

Besides being an exceptional book, the history of Classical JuJitsu, Judo and BJJ is layed out very nicely in it.

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 6:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Fisticuffs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Told you so...