Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 11:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL... "Time's up"... that's classic. Well done Urso.

Well I think it's safe to say that Joe Moreira is ofically ignoring me... no response to my Letter or multiple phone calls.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 1:37pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urso
    It would help me train my son. I thought it could be a great way for him to practice with dad close by. Usually the kids classes are just with his age group. He is very focused. He started martial arts at age 2. He started with Capoeira and is still doing it. (he also takes Tae Kwon Do twice a week and BJJ once a week) --Maybe it's to much. But he enjoys going and I think that is important.

Now, would it help me--No. I would do it for my son. The school where I train is 40 miles away from home. I commute to work everyday. The day I take him to BJJ is on Saturdays--I don't look forward to the 40mile commute. So, if I take him to this place once or twice a month, he could really apply what he is learning to a bunch of yoyo's. Then once he becomes comfortable, he'll be able to land a submission in one of his "real" classes.

Am I crossing over to the dark side??? Please somebody set me straight. Is this so wrong?
    If I had been doing "real" MA when I was your son's age, I would be a goddamned hardass by now. Good on you for pushing him towards the effective stuff; I'm jealous like you wouldn't believe. Dark side nothing.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 9:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Shi Dist

Well I think it's safe to say that Joe Moreira is ofically ignoring me... no response to my Letter or multiple phone calls.
    That's unfortunate.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 1:03pm

Style: Kuk Sul Do/Capoeira/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Shi Dist

One thing I need to add is that --the "dark blue belt" did say he was not the main instructor. I found out the main instructor is a "soft" brown belt.--not my words, I was told this by someone I respect. I asked if the brown belt competes. He said " Oh, Ya" Then I said "Great! I surprised I don't know him. I've competed in many events over the last couple of years. But, I don't remember meeting him at any of the events." He quickly said "Uh... Oh ya, he stopped competing a couple of years ago." --What the F---! Oh well, I can only see it as free rolling time for my son.

The way I see it is, there are no BJJ schools in my area. This is one way to get exposure. I think the best thing for me to do is go there for a while and let my son have fun. Then after a few months, people will begin to understand that there instructor sucks. I entered a couple of competitions last year and intend to do at least 5 bjj and one no-gi. I have also commited to a boxing match mid 2006. I plan on openly talking about my competitions and hope the "instructor" will join in. He will get thrashed. Then hopefully the students will see him for what he is worth. At that time I can talk to the students and see if they would be willing to do the 40mile drive with me and train with a real instructor.

I hope to open something here in my town in a few years --once I have my purple belt. I have black belts in other martial arts--but BJJ is hands down my favorite.

So, what do you think of my plans? Is it too corrupting?

Finally, Merry Christmas!

Now I can go and do some side control escapes with my son. He He He

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 7:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was there a list of schools that were using this program?

Edit: Whoops found it, is there an updated list?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 8:15am

Style: GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Urso, I was going to suggest that perhaps your plans are a little too corrupting.... or maybe deceptive would be a better word. Not that I dissagree with what your doing, but I think it's a bad idea to tell him that you are a 2 stripe blue when your just a blue, now you just gave him a point of reference for his own abilities and he will think he only needs to be half as good as you to reach blue belt level, you may have inadvertenly participated in his bullshidofication.!?

BUT, since it's been almost 4 months since you posted that, and I'm just now getting to the end of this thread, I'm asking for an update instead!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2006 1:54pm

Style: Kuk Sul Do/Capoeira/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was waiting for someone to say something. I try to do things with a Jiu Jitsu mind set. I am deceptive. I broke down and told the guy the truth. He could not believe it. He said that his main "instructor" was easier to roll with. (his main instructor is a high ranking belt that was "given" to him by a BJJ "Black" belt)

So, here is the update. I stopped going to the school because my son wanted to do stand up stuff. Since I was going to stop going there, I told him the truth. I told the instructor that I wanted him to know that in order to learn "true" BJJ, you must train with a certified black belt. It's more than rolling around and tapping people out. It's about training hard, challenging the body, soul (character) and mind. (I'm not trying to get all zen like. It is my opinion that all true martial arts will challenge these things.)

After a few minutes he came over and asked if I would train with him. WOW! I told him I would roll with him when I could. But, I made it clear that I am not a teacher. I am far from a teacher.--He did not care.

So, Yes. I played my part to get close to this school. Yes. I was deceptive in my approach to gain "approval". Just like in BJJ. You set-up your submission. Give a little here, take a little there, get your position and finally submission.

Since then, the school now says they do not offer BJJ. "we are a MMA school" WHAT THE F! I asked about the credentials of the instructor. They said he is an "experienced" grappler. I asked if he did any competitions. "not around here" was the reply. Also-since then, a few of the students are now training where I train. They heard about my true rank and wanted to be taught by a true BJJ black belt. I may not be able to save everyone. But I did my part to save a few people from the dreaded MCDOJO.

I still train bjj. I stopped going as much though. I train BJJ twice a week. I've been doing more Muy Thai and boxing for the past few months. My son still does BJJ with me at home but he's enjoying the karate lessons more. (he has two friends that take the same Tae Kwon Do class) My daughter is taking the same class as my son. I worked out a deal with the owner of the Muy Thai school. I am a 2nd degree Black Belt in American Kuk Sul Do (aka -Kuk Sul Do). I teach two classes for him and he teaches my family and helps train me. (all I pay is $80 a month--I think it's a good deal"

One final note. I just recieved my application to get a fighting license. Yes. I will try to fight in MMA. I figured this is my last try. I'm 33 years old and I want to challenge myself. So, I'll let you guys know how it goes. FYI I also train when ever I can at the American Kickboxing Academy. For those of you who don't know that academy--you better ask somebody.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 6:52pm

Style: GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

which way did they go!?!?

Thanks for the update!

Has anyone gone any further with their attempts to dismantle the Bullshidofication of Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu? The other day I tried to check out www.ibjja.org and got an error page that asked "If you are the owner of this website, please call ......) , and now there is a page up there that makes it look like the website was donated to GoDaddy.com, whateverthehell that is!? At the top of the page, this is displayed:

"This page is parked free, courtesy of GoDaddy.com"

so did they give up?, or are they hiding...er... I mean, "relocate"?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2006 12:16am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ttt
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    9/17/2006 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    ttt
    You Post whore
    ttt
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142021222324 25262728 ... LastLast