Posted On:
    11/28/2005 10:26am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beneath Contempt
    You know what's funny?

After bullshido got bored of this topic, it went tangentially crazy over at the previously maligned jjgear forum. Some brown belt disagreed with a purple over the topic at hand (whether or not low ranked people should be teaching). The brown claimed he couldn't be taught anything by the purple.

They threw down. met up and the purple subbed the brown in two minutes.

Yet again, the butterfly flaps it's wings in China, and two guys throwdown in the States.

Bullshido owns.
    Isn't it more like the people at JJGear completely missed the point? Wasn't the point, whether or not someone who is taught and graded via video able to train and produce capable BJJ players, and should anyone be able to teach BJJ after only training a week. Not to mention the ambiguous navy blue belt with a red stripe.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 11:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Yes, they did, but anything resulting in some gong sau is not a bad thing.
    The fact that 2 BJJ players are willing to backup what they say and throwdown is great. It's probably the saving grace of BJJ, and will probably slow the Bullshidofication of BJJ. But will these new Video BJJers be willing to do the same?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 11:23pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    We really do have to take every individual situation as an individual situation.
    Nowadays you CAN have BJJ Blue Belts tapping purples and browns, even possibly blacks, why?
    Because of cross-over, a BJJ Blue could be a Judo 3 or 4th dan for all you know.
    Something else to consider is this. I remember in my high school wrestling days there were 3 of us who were constantly switching back and forth from JV to V at 189lbs. Why? Because I could pin #1 in about 30 seconds, I couldn't pin #2 to save my life and had a 50/50 record (if I was lucky) against him, and #1 could pin #2 in about 30 seconds...

Why is this important? Because that blue just might have whatever it takes to beat that purple/brown/black but not that white who just happens to have whatever it takes to beat that blue.

Host-Personal Defense TV

Posted On:
    11/30/2005 12:01am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ Fighter has sick skills is why he tapped sreiter.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 5:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did anything come of this at all? Besides the deathmatch between the purple and the brown belt, obviously. Was there any response to the letter? Have any "Navy Blue" belts been choked out?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 7:56pm

Style: Indi-Yogi-Jitsu! jk, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I can't believe some of what I'm hearing...

Now, granted, it is good that we all agree that this video is really, really shady. It's a money making scheme THAT LACKS INTEGRITY plain and simple. The same kind of thing that Royce did when he sends blue belts out to his "students" that he's never met.

Personally however, I can't even believe that some of you believe that it's okay for a blue belt to be teaching ANYTHING. I don't care where they got their belt. A blue might have a grasp on the basics, but to effectively learn BJJ, you NEED the experienced eye of a black belt to pick up on the very minor details that noobs always do wrong.

I'm a BJJ blue belt under Romero Calvacanti, and even though I tap white belts at will, I would never, ever, ever dream of being able to TEACH a white belt class. That's just bollocks.

Personally I wish there was a standard put down by a governing body that requires that a self-proclaimed teacher be at least a brown belt.

I think the fact that people are learining BJJ from even purples harms the integrity of the sport. Now, I'm not saying that purple belts aren't competent grapplers, I'm just saying that they may not posses the overall knowledge and experience that is required to beable to TEACH BJJ.

Total BS. Nothing more.

Posted On:
    12/05/2005 8:34pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The same kind of thing that Royce did when he sends blue belts out to his "students" that he's never met."

Please provide an example of such behavior, including the names of the participants and whether your knowledge is first, second, or third hand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2005 1:50am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Browning-

Aren't you a blue belt of some sort? Just wondering if you are trying to defend your mediocre status - or you are just being a dick per your previous declaration "I am a dick." In any case- who gives a flying ****.

Wolverine

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    12/06/2005 3:26am

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think an experienced blue belt can teach the basics of BJJ without too much of an ethical issue. I don't think it's bad policy either, just as long as you don't lie about your own techniques and abilities.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2005 6:37am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vihsadas
    Personally however, I can't even believe that some of you believe that it's okay for a blue belt to be teaching ANYTHING. I don't care where they got their belt. A blue might have a grasp on the basics, but to effectively learn BJJ, you NEED the experienced eye of a black belt to pick up on the very minor details that noobs always do wrong.

I'm a BJJ blue belt under Romero Calvacanti, and even though I tap white belts at will, I would never, ever, ever dream of being able to TEACH a white belt class. That's just bollocks.

Personally I wish there was a standard put down by a governing body that requires that a self-proclaimed teacher be at least a brown belt.

I think the fact that people are learining BJJ from even purples harms the integrity of the sport. Now, I'm not saying that purple belts aren't competent grapplers, I'm just saying that they may not posses the overall knowledge and experience that is required to beable to TEACH BJJ.

Total BS. Nothing more.
    As someone who spent the first year of his BJJ training exclusively under a blue belt, allow me to comment.

The broad statement that a blue belt is completely unable to teach white belts is incorrect. The ability of a blue belt, or any ranked person in BJJ to instruct is dependent upon the teaching ability that the individual possesses. A black belt, whilst a guarantor of technical knowledge, is not an inherent guarantee of the ability to impart said technical knowledge.

I know blue belts who I do not believe capable of teaching. For that matter I know purple belts incapable of teaching. Even (gasp!) black belts who aren't very capable teachers. Yet I know people at all of the above ranks who are capable of teaching.

An experienced blue belt can be a very good teacher of white belts. My instructor, a dedicated black belt instructor and competitor, has said as much, having given me his permission and encouragement to teach when I reestablish the university BJJ club where I began my training next year. I've been assisting and instructing children's BJJ classes for the better part of two years. Teaching adults who WANT to train is, pardon the pun, child's play as compared to controlling a class of hyperactive 5-9 year olds.
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 21222324 ... LastLast