Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2005 4:18am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's...fairly bizarre. Or should be.

I've taught higher belts certain techniques that I happen to specialize in at times, but I've never tapped a brown belt. I came close on one occasion, but even if I had, my win-loss ration would still be like 6:1 in the brown belt's favor. I've had white belts teach me some things as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    I've seen blue belts that have tried to explain to me why they should've been safe under side mount after I tapped them.
    Defending by instruction indicates a distinct lack of class. The blue belt should have accepted that he/she lost, and learned from the experience.

To quantify the skill range at the purple belt level...how long is a piece of string? Some of my training partners who recently got promoted were pretty much tearing chunks out of the rest of the blue belts, and starting to become competitive with the purples, and possessed of a fair amount of knowledge as well as their own distinct individual game. I think thats a pretty good analysis of a newbie purple belt

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2005 4:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, the blue tapping the brown makes sense. Male and female standards for promotion seem to be completely different for many instructors.

The blue belt...I stand by what I already said about defense by instruction.

However, there is a world of difference between a newbie blue belt and an experienced blue belt, which may be the difference between one blue belt and the other(by the sound of it, I doubt it is a stylistic clash). My game now bears little to no resemblance whatsoever to my game of two years ago, for example.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2005 11:11am

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From a number of interviews of Helio's I've read, it seems to me that his concern is with the direction BJJ is taking. He feels that BJJ is meant as, first and foremost, a self-defense art. He sees it as going more and more towards sport with self-defense work not being emphasized as much.

I was at a seminar a few weeks ago with Carlos Gracie Jr. and he was saying the same thing: that there is not enough emphasis on self-defense (especially standing grappling) in many BJJ classes these days.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2005 4:03pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyDaHedgehog
    Except no judoka/boxer/wrestler took a bunch of unprepared pointfighters to school in a popular MMA tournament. Some did, but none became as well known as Royce did.
    See if anyone remembers Royce in 40 years either.. :P

http://www.genelebell.com/stories.asp

Savage leaned against the ropes and compelled Gene to come to him. Gene moved under Savage's jabs and managed to throw Savage with a spectacular left sided "maki hard goshi". He quickly followed with a "neck choke." In a few seconds the boxer was "out cold". The choke was what Gene wanted to use. He explained that he had several opportunities to apply an arm-bar but fear that he might seriously disable Savage. He wanted to prove that judo could be effective without maiming the other party.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    11/23/2005 8:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I trained in bjj in the mid 90's gaining rank was incredibly slow and tedious. You would rarely if ever see blues tapping purples and for a blue to tap a brown would be unheard of. When a blue did begin to tap a purple with any type of consistency then the learning curve was being approached and they would soon find themselves with a purple belt. Whites tapping blues was way more common but keep in mind that the blue may be newly promoted as well. The blue belt category was always the fattest layer at any academy with both good and bad bjj players. The bad players would never make purple and would see people pass them by and the good blues sometimes suffered as the instructors wanted to keep them there for positive tournament results. There were certain blues who I'd toy with and certain blues who would wipe the mat with my face. I remember I went to a submission grappling tournament as a newly promoted blue and popped a guys arm with an armbar in less than 30 seconds. I saw him not more than 1 month later and the dude was a friggen purple belt. He came from a very questionable school who's instructor somehow went from purple to black quickly and I guess the apples didn't fall far from the tree. Interestingly when you look at certain "o.g." instructors like the Gracies, Machados etc. the belt process is still slow. It seems to be the next two to three generations who have sped it up.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    11/23/2005 9:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe, if this helps with some insight as to where BJJ may go in a few years.

A girl from my school got her black belt after 4 years of training.I know it sounds very McDojoish!But what can I say.She had been assisting in instruction at our Dojo for 2 years before that since she was a Green belt.So she knew her ****.Even if her fighting is still left to be desired.However there are still some who take 6 or more years to get a Blackbelt.

As for fighting prowess.Kyokushin karate was a very tough style once.With a higher drop-out rate than we see today. In fact if this was 1965 and not 2005 with any of the tma karate styles.I would have decided to quit long before I got my brown belt. Heck! Who am I kidding?I would have quit after a few classes.I donít know but thereís something about getting punched in the face in every class that would've stopped me and give me pause to think while I contemplated my existence on earth.

I don't know if it's comparable to the present situation with selling Brazilian Juijutsu instruction through DVD-mail order. Perhaps, itís not? After all, no one is selling DVD's of full-contact instruction trough the mail.

Posted On:
    11/24/2005 1:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedElvis
    He came from a very questionable school who's instructor somehow went from purple to black quickly...
    Are the instructor's initials G. S. by any chance?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/24/2005 2:01am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedElvis
    The bad players would never make purple and would see people pass them by ...
    From your experience, what makes someone a bad player? Could they be categorized?

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    11/24/2005 7:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We really do have to take every individual situation as an individual situation.
    Nowadays you CAN have BJJ Blue Belts tapping purples and browns, even possibly blacks, why?
    Because of cross-over, a BJJ Blue could be a Judo 3 or 4th dan for all you know.
    As for getting a Black in 4 years or whatever, again, prior MA experience counts and unless that is NOT a factor and person is a compete rookie, the time to get a BB in ANY art is not that important.

Heck when I was doing BJJ I was told that, because I would NOT be competing ( not interested and don't have the time) in Sport BJJ, it would take longer to progress in belts, though not as long as it would take normally because of my Judo background.

I think that, witholding BB to add the mystique of then meaning more than they do, is ALMOST as bad as giving them out like condoms at a highschool, BOTH lead to McDojoism, one just takes longer than the other.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    11/24/2005 1:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckofDeath
    Are the instructor's initials G. S. by any chance?
    Actually they were K.G.

Who would G.S. be? PM me if you don't want to say and I'll tell you who K.G. is.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness