Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 1718192026 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/20/2005 7:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am deeply saddened by this news. My final hopes that the tides of McDojoism may have struck an almost impenetrable sea wall in BJJ have been dashed.
    This is a dark day for us all

Rest in Peace integrity

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2005 10:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, this suck...but...

come on, we knew this **** was going to happen, it was only a matter of time. BJJ and MMA are just getting too popular. In the 70's & 80's everyone was trained by Bruce Lee. Or everyone was a ninja. JKD survived, and to some extent, Taijitsu survived. How good they are as M.A's is another discussion, but the 'core' of those arts survived, despite the bullshit. That's because, just like there'll always be suckers, there'll also be those who investigate, and make smart choices on where to train, why to train, how to train etc. It'll be funny rolling against these assholes.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    11/21/2005 12:27am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You will ALWAYS have you're idiots looking for the easy way out, the path of least resistence. As someone said toward the begining of this thread: "THAT is the sound of inevitablility." As long as there are people willing to line pockets, eventually some legitimate BJJ blackbelt will look at things and say "Why am I scraping to make ends meet when these TKD 'masters' are living high on the hog selling bullshido?" Money is a powerful force. The lure of money has tainted many a good man's ethics, and it will doubtless do so again in the future.

The good news is: those who want to test their strength, skill, and knowledge will always find t3h r341 grappling, as they now sort through all sorts of bullshido to find a good striking art. Those who want a colored peice of cloth to go around their waist and a peice of paper to feel better about themselves will always find a way of getting around hard work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2005 12:21pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But those are not reasons not to speak out about teachers that are dishonest or disreputable.

I see this website as something of a consumer advocasy group, something I feel that the martial arts community needs. Because, while there will always be people who want to just buy a black belt, there are always those people who want to earn them in a legit fashion.

However, though they are genuine in intent, they are not always educated and able to discern what is good from what isn't. Say they like watching the UFC, and they keep hearing about BJJ, so they say, "That's for me. That's what I want to do." But maybe they have no background in martial arts and don't know enough to realize that they'd be better off learning BJJ from a real instructor that might be more expensive and a little further away than from a mcdojo owner who's right up the street and has only watched a few videos and is wearing a navy-blue belt.

Sure, he may find out after a year or two (or more) that the mcdojo instructor doesn't know ****. But why should he have to wait that long? That's where I see this website coming into play. It can be a resource for people who need or want an "insiders" take on a particular school or style.

Posted On:
    11/21/2005 1:07pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is no surprise.

Once an MA becomes popular you will inevitably have people who want to capitalize on this and make money.

I'm torn both ways, I say more power to them if they want to make a buck, but also the way they do it can be potentially dangerous to the people it suckers in.

Maybe MAists should be regulated by the state like doctors and attorneys, but world peace is a more realistic concept than that.

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    11/21/2005 3:47pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky
    this is no surprise.

Once an MA becomes popular you will inevitably have people who want to capitalize on this and make money.
    nothing wrong with making money. the problem is ripping people off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky
    Maybe MAists should be regulated by the state like doctors and attorneys, but world peace is a more realistic concept than that.
    Then all that the govenment will allow is point sparring and very wattered down grappling. Look at Cop movies and TV shows. Any time an RNC is brought up it is the military sleeper hold that is soo deadly cops are not allowed to use it.
    The Govt will **** up martial arts if they regulate it. Look at some of the Mcdojo cetrification tests. The contact levels are 0 contact for striking in forms and touch for sparring.

Dirty Red

Posted On:
    11/21/2005 3:57pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    California
    Ernie Reyes West Coast Martial Arts-Gilroy
    745 1st St.
    Gilroy, CA 95020
    408-848-1100
    Russ Rocchi-Instructor

Ernie Reyes West Coast Martial Arts-Morgan Hill
    16375 Monterey Rd. Suite L
    Morgan Hill, CA 95077
    408-778-2544
    Russ Rocchi-Instructor

I am going to go check these schools out.

Dirty Red

Posted On:
    11/21/2005 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guy is only a blue belt. Should be fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2005 1:56am

Style: Brasilian Ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wonder... will I get to sandbag these little fuckers in future or will they be hiding in their closed door policy mcdojos?

PS. "just a blue belt" might just destroy you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2005 11:02am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this is not necessarily the end of BJJ as you know it.

Do you know how many karate/TKD schools claim to have judo as part of their curriculum? (The McDojo my little sister used to go to tried to recruit me claiming that their Kenpo 'had judo in it'. Did I believe? No.)

Has it really affected anyone who really wants to play Judo?