221420 Bullies, 3877 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 48
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    "Martialism" Dissected

    The unique thing about this grass-roots movement to fight against the tide of ridiculous garbage in the Martial Arts is the diverse nature of the people who have come together here on Bullshido.<table class="image" align=left cellpadding=3 >
    <caption align="bottom"><font size="-2">From the article:
    <i>Phil's martialism equates to offering moral justification of illegal actions.</i>
    </font></caption>
    <tr><td><img src="http://www.bullshido.com/images/articles/phil-doublestrike.jpg" height=165 width=240></td></tr>
    </table>One such person is Supporting Member Arahoushi, who happens to hold a bachelor's degree in Philosophy. In his first article for Bullshido, he uses his expertise to pick apart the flaws and inconsistencies in the concept of "Martialism" as described by one of this community's favorite punching bags, Phil Elmore.

    Here's a quip from the article:

    Thus, all of Phil's posturing that rational egoism supports his philosophy of "martialism" is flawed as well. Phil's martialism states that any amount ("total aggression") of force required to preserve one's own well-being or that of others is justified. This is not so. Most laws state that force must be proportional to the force used against you. If Smith were to come up to me and attempt to punch me, and I respond by pulling out my folding knife and cutting his throat, I will be hauled in to jail on charges of assault with a deadly weapon, if not murder. If Smith attempts to gut me with a knife, and I respond with my own knife, I am still not "in the clear," so to speak, with the law. I have to prove that I could not have safely fled the scene, that the use of deadly force was my only option to preserve my life. Phil's martialism equates to offering moral justification of illegal actions.

    You can read the full article here Don't forget to add your thoughts on Arahoushi's analysis for posterity.

  2. Cullion is offline
    Cullion's Avatar

    Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    6,543

    Posted On:
    9/24/2005 6:37pm

    supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A very interesting article. I believe I can summarise Phil's martialism in a brief form which may be useful as an intro to your own more erudite analysis :-

    "Boggly-eyed, fearful nerd fantasizes about being action movie hero.

    Nerd is as nerd does.

    Instead of lifting weights and going to the local kickboxing gym or judo dojo, nerd assembles collection of crappy little gimicky self-defence gadgets bought on the Internet and turns up at his local kung fu class. When the Kung Fu class, to their credit, started upping the level of physical conditioning and effort required, Nerd sat out to watch 'with his journalistic hat on'.

    Nerd lacked the courage and willpower to transform himself into something more through demanding & competitive physical training.

    Nerd has the chutzpah to try and found some kind of urban survivalist movement, and starts writing books about the very activity nerd lacked the balls to study with any seriousness.

    Nerd remains fearful nerd."
  3. Lane is offline
    Lane's Avatar

    Ex-ninja

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,350

    Posted On:
    9/25/2005 2:58am


     Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. Cool. Thanks.
    --
    L.
  4. MuayThaiBri67 is offline
    MuayThaiBri67's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Clearwater, FL.
    Posts
    621

    Posted On:
    9/26/2005 10:13am


     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that an actual picture of him? Because I watched a news story about a local Star Trek convention, and I'm almost positive that he was one of the convention attendies they interviewed.
  5. Cullion is offline
    Cullion's Avatar

    Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    6,543

    Posted On:
    9/26/2005 11:06am

    supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, it's him. I don't see why he wouldn't be at a star trek convention. The batleth is a far superior means of defence against panhandlers to anything in your sportfighting arsenal.
  6. Bluto Blutarsky is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NYC!
    Posts
    1,244

    Posted On:
    9/26/2005 1:27pm


     Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you did a very good job of a critique, given that you had to be general as different states have different legal requirements for "retreat" and "self-defence" and use of "deadly force".

    It is easy to say that "deadly force can only be used when deadly force is threatened against you" but different states have different precedent for different situations, as they arise, "case specific" rather than creating a "one rule fits all philosopy", making writing this article difficult as you are skirting the razor's edge in danger of bieng wrong.

    And while it might very well be better to be "judged by 12 than carried by 6", it seems that unless Phil is the glass man from that movie "unbreakable", then his sense of legal justification for certain actions even when looked at in a practical sense, tend to come more out of charles bronson's Death Wish or the Punisher than reality.
  7. Bluto Blutarsky is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NYC!
    Posts
    1,244

    Posted On:
    9/26/2005 1:30pm


     Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Yes, it's him. I don't see why he wouldn't be at a star trek convention. The batleth is a far superior means of defence against panhandlers to anything in your sportfighting arsenal.
    I used to think that would have been funny.

    but when we had a throwdown at the Fighthouse, there is actually some guy teaching to use that wierd thing.

    Here is the link:

    I used to laugh, now I think it is just plain sad.\

    http://www.masterhun.com/

    scroll down a little.
  8. GarageJudokaSS is offline

    U.S. Army

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Within view of the flagpole...
    Posts
    299

    Posted On:
    9/26/2005 2:01pm


     Style: BJJ, Kickboxing, Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff, very intelligently written. Thank you.

    *reps
  9. erictbrown1 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    76

    Posted On:
    9/27/2005 9:07am


     Style: Boxing, Wrestling, karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    A very interesting article. I believe I can summarise Phil's martialism in a brief form which may be useful as an intro to your own more erudite analysis :-

    "Boggly-eyed, fearful nerd fantasizes about being action movie hero.

    Nerd is as nerd does.

    Instead of lifting weights and going to the local kickboxing gym or judo dojo, nerd assembles collection of crappy little gimicky self-defence gadgets bought on the Internet and turns up at his local kung fu class. When the Kung Fu class, to their credit, started upping the level of physical conditioning and effort required, Nerd sat out to watch 'with his journalistic hat on'.

    Nerd lacked the courage and willpower to transform himself into something more through demanding & competitive physical training.

    Nerd has the chutzpah to try and found some kind of urban survivalist movement, and starts writing books about the very activity nerd lacked the balls to study with any seriousness.

    Nerd remains fearful nerd."
    I agree good points.
  10. hapkido_keith is offline
    hapkido_keith's Avatar

    Crappler Extraordinaire

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,307

    Posted On:
    9/30/2005 2:19pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky
    I used to think that would have been funny.

    but when we had a throwdown at the Fighthouse, there is actually some guy teaching to use that wierd thing.

    Here is the link:

    I used to laugh, now I think it is just plain sad.\

    http://www.masterhun.com/

    scroll down a little.
    Did you read any of the testimonials on that link?
    Student Testimonials
    11/1/04: An unsolicited e-mail from a new student, Hal H., after his 1st lesson: "Master Hun. My first class with you was a blast! The basics were easy and you had me doing some Kill Bill moves the very first class. I took this class for exercise, that would be challenging and fun-and it's just what I got."
    I don't have the words....
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.