218301 Bullies, 9149 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    11/16/2005 4:57am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Internal vs External in CMA

I've been told in the past that 'internal' arts are not about strength, but as far as I can tell IMA practitioners who actually do any fighting definitely do train to strengthen their bodies.

I've been told that IMA are about relaxed power and body structure, but as far as I can tell all martial arts that do a good job of teaching how to hit hard teach you to relax (for speed) and to use your bodyweight intelligently (e.g. put your hips into it).

Whilst Tai Chi (and probably other IMAs) have a slow form, people who want to use them to fight certainly don't do most of the other drills or sparring in slow motion.

I've read that Tim Cartmell of Shenwu (a BJJ blackbelt who teaches a blend of chinese IMA for standup) considers BJJ to be an IMA. Perhaps boxing is an IMA too ? (All that training to weave, bob and slip rather than attempt to 'block' incoming blows, generating power through relaxed and coordinated bodymechanics rather than 'arm punching').

So given that chinese IMAs, when used for fighting, seem to involve sparring and strength/stamina training as much as so-called 'external' arts used for fighting, what's the real difference between Internal and External types of CMA ?

Is it that IMAs don't seem to go in for the 'Iron Body' type conditioning exercises which increase bone density which I've heard of other kung fu styles doing ? (I may be wrong about this, I'm a Tai Chi newb and may have just not seen it yet).

Your thoughts appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2005 6:53am

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a good question, and I have no idea how to describe what the difference is. I've read in several IMA books that external styles develope the muscles first and then develope the qi, while internal styles develope the qi first. (I use the word "qi" because those books do, before you start sidetracking this thread.) Or, the books also say that external styles work to develope a hard outer body, while internal styles stay soft.

I think a good add-on question would be, is there such a thing as an external "soft" style, or are all "soft" styles considered internal? (the only soft style I can think of Aikido, and that is considered internal as far as I know)

Achievements:

Posted On:
    11/16/2005 7:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the martial Tai Chi I've done some training in, chi has not been discussed in class at all. We have done padwork, sparring, push hands, wrestling and fitness work.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/16/2005 10:26am

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the classification was based on weidan vs. neidan, with each group having its own techniques and training based of the different focus of intent.

But then I realized that I have no idea what that means.

"Shaolin fist from external to internal."

Whenever my old kung fu brother tries to convience me to train in the Xingyi / Baqua / Taijiquan mixture that he is doing, I simply tell him this. For me, once my body can no longer handle the training of weidan, I'll drop the bitch and make the switch.
    Last edited by Quikfeet509; 11/16/2005 10:29am at .

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/16/2005 10:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion

Is it that IMAs don't seem to go in for the 'Iron Body' type conditioning exercises which increase bone density which I've heard of other kung fu styles doing ? (I may be wrong about this, I'm a Tai Chi newb and may have just not seen it yet).

Your thoughts appreciated.
    Actually, there are both internal and external "Iron Body" exercises.

But your question about what is the difference between internal and external? Well, it's as different as yin and yang. How's that?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    11/16/2005 10:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No Ma is 100% "external" just like no MA is 100% "internal".

Fact is, those are just lables some people on the MA.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    11/16/2005 11:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Actually, there are both internal and external "Iron Body" exercises.
    I've heard of this, and I thought perhaps the difference was that IMAs only do the 'internal' exercises, but maybe thats wrong.

But your question about what is the difference between internal and external? Well, it's as different as yin and yang. How's that?
    No help I'm afraid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2005 11:31am

Style: non-aliveness BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sun Lu Tang = Rorion Gracie of CMAs. This dude conveniently came up with the IMA/CMA distinction. Probably wasnt the first, but definitely one of the more famous CMA practitioners to do so. Not really sure of his rationale, but he was cranking out books so it might help to sell books and attract students. This was mentioned in Tim Cartmell/Dan Miller translation of Xing Yi Quan Xue: The Study of Form-Mind Boxing

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

For me, "internal" is more along the line of quality of the movements (structure, connection, whole-body power, etc).

For example

Ali = "internal" boxing.
    Tyson = more "external" when compares to Ali

Ever seen those old Ali's KOs where the punches looked like they barely had any power?

Here is an analogy that geeks can relate to. Alot of ppl claim that C++/Java/C#/<language-du-jour> is object-oriented. But I can spaghetti code all day long if I don't know what I am doing. Likewise, learning IMAs <> being able to do IMAs in an internal fashion.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/16/2005 11:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The simplest way I can put it is that the difference is in the training. When doing something internal, there is an emphasis on breathing and relaxing the joints, those are the two key aspects IMO. When fighting actually starts, the strikes are external, because you are tightening up on impact.

As Ronin said, there are no purely internal or external ma. But there are pure internal or external exercises, as well as combination internal/external exercises.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    11/16/2005 11:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    As Ronin said, there are no purely internal or external ma. But there are pure internal or external exercises, as well as combination internal/external exercises.

This is true, example:
    Sanchin is a external breathing exercise, or hard qiGong, it is about dynamic tension and hard breathing.
    Tensho, though in some case is performed hard, shoudl be done in a relaxed manner, with NO muscular tension, to balance out the hardness of Sanchin.

Though, like I stated, most do Tensho as a hard kata for some reason.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast