Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 2:16pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude....blue font....on dark gray background.....dude....

Someone should start dickslapping you just for that atrocity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 2:39pm

Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are going to slap anyone around, could you use appendages more appropriate for the task? Or at least encourage me to continue MT where my TSD skills will get all the respect they deserve?

M

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zid
    Or is it just a matter of circumstance?

I'm sorry if this all sounds whiny but I have to get this of my chest. And I really need help from you guys.

It's been a month since I last attended my dojang and as you have all read from my info bar, It says that I'm planning to quit Tang Soo Do. I have my reasons: The instructor is inflating membership prices due to some cheap excuses about electric bills, too much traditional BS, children in the adults class and a lack of good sparring partners. I don't know if these are good reasons to quit but to put it bluntly, I'm just sick n' tired of all this TMA bullshit. I wanted to take MAs to learn how to fight and stay in shape not dance around like a jackass.

Then there's the whole college/TSD balancing. My instructor keeps pressuring me to attend sessions so I can go up in ranks even though I keep telling him that I have a busy college schedule. Unlike most college students/martial artists my university doesn't have extra-curricular MA classes like judo or boxing so I have to take a 20/30-minute drive to a neighboring town just to take TSD. I have to take it 4-times a week but I can only go twice because of some college classes clash with the TSD sessions.

Another problem I have is that they only spar about once a week on Wednesdays mostly so I try to go on Wednesdays whenever I can but the rest of the week is just your average bullshido(i.e. hyungs, drills, horse stance exercises etc.). And then there's the distance I would have to travel daily thus costing me a little too much on gas.

All that I can find in my hometown is just bullshido. I try asking for good kickboxing or judo schools but people always direct me to these shitty schools(in fact, I actually saw a building that has TKD, Aikido AND spiritual new age seminars all anounced on brightly colored drawings out side of the same building. Swear to god.) I can't find a single good dojo/gym. I tried to look for a decent boxing school but the closest one is in an inaccessible area all the way in the ghetto.

I also heard from my bro that his college does give courses in judo so I thought of checking that out but I would also like to practice a striking style. I could try looking for a kickboxing/boxing school but I don't wanna go to a place that's too far either. Or I could just go back to TSD but then there's all that **** I have to put up with.

So I really need some advice here. I hope you guys can help me out. I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
    The WTSDA sucks, get out of it. I'm telling you to do so, not urging you to. This is coming from someone who was in the WTSDA. Go take boxing or Judo. Puerto Rican boxers rock.

I stayed with the WTSDA for nearly 4 years until I realized how bad my training was (Thanks, Bullshido)!

Things wrong with the WTSDA:

- Too much emphasis on dead drills
    - Too much emphasis on kata
    - Lack of emphasis on 1-Step sparring, but you get tested on it.
    - Way too expensive for such poor quality training.
    - They'll try to make you buy all their crap. Their books are $45 per!
    - Two words: kiddie classes.
    - 15 year old blackbelts.
    - Not nearly enough sparring, and when they do it's light contact or points.
    - I don't know about your BBs, but mine sucked, despite that the WTSDA's HQ is being built no farther than 45 minutes away from here.
    - Impractical techniques; too much emphasis on high kicks, jump-kicks.
    - They teach you to guard too low, so your face is going to get pounded.
    - Too much attention given to children's classes over adults who take it seriously.
    - Testing you on material in the handbook that they never talk about in classes.

I could go on. Get out NOW. Go take boxing or judo. I'll be hopefully going to an MT/BJJ place in the future myself, so hopefully they can help me unlearn all the bullshit that the WTSDA has instilled in me.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 2:54pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've just recently started judo to help supliment my aikido training. Previous to that I had a first degree blackbelt in TKD with mixed in Hapkido (was almost to my 2nd but my instructor died and I couldn't find a school I liked) a short stint in krav maga (around a year, might of been longer) and most recently aikido. I wouldn't say judo is an eye opener, but it definatly changed my outlook on grappling. Its definalty worth doing for anyone in my opinion. I've never come home more sore, tired, and sweaty then I do from judo class. The other advantage (at least for me) are that the basic techniques are easy to learn, make sense, and can be used with very little training. Plus, I've actually been able to leverage my existing skills to pick up rather quickly.

So give judo a try. Your TSD will always be there for you and your not going to loose it. Just give it a little practice at home. And you can always hunt for a striking art while your doing judo. I can say you wont regret it. I've only gone 2 times so far and I'm positive i'm going to stay (even though with aikido this puts my training at 5 days a week and 2 hours a day, not counting the weight/cardio work I do at home). Plus all the judo players I've met have been great people and very friendly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2005 3:30pm

Style: None as of yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kistrael
    The WTSDA sucks, get out of it. I'm telling you to do so, not urging you to. This is coming from someone who was in the WTSDA. Go take boxing or Judo. Puerto Rican boxers rock.

I stayed with the WTSDA for nearly 4 years until I realized how bad my training was (Thanks, Bullshido)!

Things wrong with the WTSDA:

- Too much emphasis on dead drills
    - Too much emphasis on kata
    - Lack of emphasis on 1-Step sparring, but you get tested on it.
    - Way too expensive for such poor quality training.
    - They'll try to make you buy all their crap. Their books are $45 per!
    - Two words: kiddie classes.
    - 15 year old blackbelts.
    - Not nearly enough sparring, and when they do it's light contact or points.
    - I don't know about your BBs, but mine sucked, despite that the WTSDA's HQ is being built no farther than 45 minutes away from here.
    - Impractical techniques; too much emphasis on high kicks, jump-kicks.
    - They teach you to guard too low, so your face is going to get pounded.
    - Too much attention given to children's classes over adults who take it seriously.
    - Testing you on material in the handbook that they never talk about in classes.

I could go on. Get out NOW. Go take boxing or judo. I'll be hopefully going to an MT/BJJ place in the future myself, so hopefully they can help me unlearn all the bullshit that the WTSDA has instilled in me.

Jesus man, That list describes almost every problem I have with my TSD dojang except for the price.

The school is pretty cheap but lately there has been a slight raise in fees. Originally it was $45 for membership plus a monthly fee of $25 but later on he raised the price to $5, in other words I have to pay $30 a month now.

And there are some things I'd like to add to that list

- TSD classes for "special" children with down syndrome. They train in the classes along with the regular kids no less.

- Children in the adults' class which pisses me off considering that THERE IS A SEPERATE CLASS FOR CHILDREN. When I asked about what the kids were doing there, I was told that they were put there so they could be others of their rank. :icon_roll

- Flabby geeky out-of-shape sparring partners. Sure, There are a few badasses (though most of them don't even go there anymore) but on other hand there are some guys in there, like this baby-faced kid that sucks so bad that I actually feel sorry for him. In fact, I don't even see many sparring partners around my age.
    Last edited by Zid; 11/19/2005 8:15pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2005 6:51pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFive
    Puero Rico has some pretty awesome Judo. A guy from one of the clubs I go to is from there, and he got to train with their Olympic team. He says they're real tough.
    I was told by a Puerto Rican that he did Puerto Rican Judo, aka
    "Judo know if I got a knife, judo know if I got a gun, judo know nothin"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2005 9:23pm

Style: Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike76
    If you are going to slap anyone around, could you use appendages more appropriate for the task?
    I guess some of us have longer appendages than others. ;)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123