Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure they're alot more in PR but this is all I found, using a quick search.
    http://www.boxinggyms.com/addresses/puertorico.htm

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 12:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You clearly don't want what the TSD place has to offer. Since you know that, why bother attending? Tell your coach/master to stuff it since you place no value on his style at all (not that I blame you). From the sounds of it, he's pushing you up the ladder faster than you are capable of going, anyways. Why? Does he want even more $$$ from you?

Then find a boxing gym or MT/Kyokushin place that will beat the **** out of you until your attitude improves. It sounds like you need more contact than you are getting now.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thats right. being hit in the face will improve you from the girly man you are now to maybe a simpering nancy and from then, who knows or dares to dream!

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 1:56pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't find boxing in Puerto Rico...there is something terminally wrong with you. I would happily brave the ghetto for some boxing instruction from the land that has produced so many AWESOME champions.

Suck it up! TSD over boxing in Puerto Rico! What next? Macrame??
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 10:20pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with scrapper.
    Plus, Judo kicks ass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 2:41am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try judo. You'll love it.

I was a bullshidoka myself, god knows how many years in delusional self belief martial arts. Always got intimidated by grappling, always thinking "Yeah, I'll knock/elbow/knee him out when he tries to grab me and that'll knock 'im out".

Right now I'm loving every moment of Shooto and BJJ in the Inosanto academy.
    So much fun, so much to learn, so few brain cells to spare to learn, thank god the other guys don't choke me out yet just because I ruin their practice with my god-awful learning capabilities. :)

In regards to your striking, when it's time to get back into the art of knocking the thighs, ribs or chin of your opponent, it'll happen - you'll find a good place as you get to know people who are not into bullshido arts.

In case you're also an upper middle class pathetic yuppie wussy like me, **** those who said to go to the gettho and learn boxing, just use that glorious web search from ojgsxr6.

Grappling and groundwork is just so much fun, especially after a long time of doing strictly striking arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 8:05am

Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of morbid curiousity, what TSD organization are you with?

M

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 11:22am

Style: None as of yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike76
    Out of morbid curiousity, what TSD organization are you with?

M
    WTSD, The one run under JC Shin

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 12:28pm

Style: None as of yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I am well aware that Puerto Rico(and Mexico of course) has some of the best boxers in the world like Trinidad and Camacho but there are still plenty of morons around here that believe that TKD or Hapkido is better than boxing. Plus people are always trying to scare me about how I'm going to get my precious brain damaged from too many hits to the head and become like Mike Tyson or something.

The thing is I take(or should I say "took") TSD in Hatillo which is west of where I live(Arecibo) and it was a little far but I went there anyway because I sure as hell wasn't going to waste money on the many TKD/Hapkido mcdojangs around here. Plus I stuck around the last few months because there was an instructor who also happened to be a boxing coach and we were supposedly going to cross train in boing but that never actually happened. They also had good grappling sessions but they didn't train in it too often either. Just the regular mcdojang crap with the occasional sparring thrown in.

I also heard there are boxing classes at the Hatillo municipal gym which is at a slighty longer distance from the TSD dojang so I plan to check that out assuming they haven't moved somewhere else.

I don't know about these places personally but I would at check these out:

http://prfinestkarate.tripod.com/

http://www.geocities.com/ashiharapr/

Edit: I don't know if they're even close to Arecibo.

The first site was kinda buggy so I couldn't find out the dojo's address. Now the second one is in Humacao which is way too far away from Arecibo. Shame because kyokushin was one of my top choices.

Your in PR, you should be boxing. Also if your into karate there are some kyokushin and Ashihara dojos out there too. Also I'm probably heading out to Augadilla after Thanksgiving so I'm thinking a PR Throwdown.
    Cool! Maybe I could attend since Aguadilla is not very far from where I live although there are some pretty rough roads around and my car sucks. Though I could gather some friends to take me there.

Let me know about the date if you can.

In case you're also an upper middle class pathetic yuppie wussy like me, **** those who said to go to the gettho and learn boxing, just use that glorious web search from ojgsxr6.
    I'm sort of a white preppy boy too(a little on the nerdy side too but I'm doing my best to toughen up) so I would probably get pestered a lot by the junkies there who will start begging for change(I think I should call Mr. Elmore to help me out with that one) and the rude ricer punks.

But seriously, the real problem is the accessibility. Puerto Rico is a pretty ghetto place where the roads are not well signed and finding you way around is a pain in the ass. Plus I don't wanna go there at night.

So I'll try to see about the Judo classes at the uni and check out that boxing gym at Hatillo. I just have to cross my fingers and hope all goes as planned.

Thanks and wish me luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 1:12pm

Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been a month since I last attended my dojang and as you have all read from my info bar, It says that I'm planning to quit Tang Soo Do. I have my reasons: The instructor is inflating membership prices due to some cheap excuses about electric bills, too much traditional BS, children in the adults class and a lack of good sparring partners. I don't know if these are good reasons to quit but to put it bluntly, I'm just sick n' tired of all this TMA bullshit. I wanted to take MAs to learn how to fight and stay in shape not dance around like a jackass.

TSD, particularly WTSDA is geared for recreational martial artists. Obviously this isnít what you want. If you want fitness you need to put the time in on your own or else join a club that trains for full contact fighting.

Then there's the whole college/TSD balancing. My instructor keeps pressuring me to attend sessions so I can go up in ranks even though I keep telling him that I have a busy college schedule. Unlike most college students/martial artists my university doesn't have extra-curricular MA classes like judo or boxing so I have to take a 20/30-minute drive to a neighboring town just to take TSD. I have to take it 4-times a week but I can only go twice because of some college classes clash with the TSD sessions.

Are you paying more for the extra days a week or something? WTSDA only requires 2 classes a week to test on the normal schedule. If you put in some solo practice time, there no reason you shouldnít be able to keep up. Hell, at my last duty stations I was testing every 4 or 5 months rather then every 3 because I was more interested in chasing women. I guess just make it clear you are fine with advancing slightly slower due to college being more important. Martial arts are great, but education is a little more important to your future.

Another problem I have is that they only spar about once a week on Wednesdays mostly so I try to go on Wednesdays whenever I can but the rest of the week is just your average bullshido(i.e. hyungs, drills, horse stance exercises etc.). And then there's the distance I would have to travel daily thus costing me a little too much on gas.

Point sparring isnít a big deal unless you are going to a lot of competitions. I just took my first week of muay thai and even though I havenít fought, it is a world of difference from the kind of foot tag that we are used to. Not to mention, if you get good at boxing or mauy thai and keep training your kicks, you will do fine. Hell, being in good shape is enough to beat the hell out of most recreational martial arts in a point match up.

All that I can find in my hometown is just bullshido. I try asking for good kickboxing or judo schools but people always direct me to these shitty schools(in fact, I actually saw a building that has TKD, Aikido AND spiritual new age seminars all anounced on brightly colored drawings out side of the same building. Swear to god.) I can't find a single good dojo/gym. I tried to look for a decent boxing school but the closest one is in an inaccessible area all the way in the ghetto.

Keep looking and donít be afraid to try places out, neither of the two places I am looking at cross training at are well listed. Two weeks of searching on the web finally turned up something better then ninjutsu wannabes and Christopher Gearyís Kempo.

I also heard from my bro that his college does give courses in judo so I thought of checking that out but I would also like to practice a striking style. I could try looking for a kickboxing/boxing school but I don't wanna go to a place that's too far either. Or I could just go back to TSD but then there's all that **** I have to put up with.

More then likely you are going to have to decide if quality is worth traveling for. My TSD classes are like 5 minutes from where I live. The other ones I am looking at are over 30. However, the differences in training are worth looking into.

So I really need some advice here. I hope you guys can help me out. I would sure appreciate it.

Go out to those schools and ask around. Watch some classes, or better yet take a few. The only way to find any happiness in your training is to get out there.

M
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast