Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 10:50pm

Style: None as of yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is it my fault that I'm a bullshidoka?

Or is it just a matter of circumstance?

I'm sorry if this all sounds whiny but I have to get this of my chest. And I really need help from you guys.

It's been a month since I last attended my dojang and as you have all read from my info bar, It says that I'm planning to quit Tang Soo Do. I have my reasons: The instructor is inflating membership prices due to some cheap excuses about electric bills, too much traditional BS, children in the adults class and a lack of good sparring partners. I don't know if these are good reasons to quit but to put it bluntly, I'm just sick n' tired of all this TMA bullshit. I wanted to take MAs to learn how to fight and stay in shape not dance around like a jackass.

Then there's the whole college/TSD balancing. My instructor keeps pressuring me to attend sessions so I can go up in ranks even though I keep telling him that I have a busy college schedule. Unlike most college students/martial artists my university doesn't have extra-curricular MA classes like judo or boxing so I have to take a 20/30-minute drive to a neighboring town just to take TSD. I have to take it 4-times a week but I can only go twice because of some college classes clash with the TSD sessions.

Another problem I have is that they only spar about once a week on Wednesdays mostly so I try to go on Wednesdays whenever I can but the rest of the week is just your average bullshido(i.e. hyungs, drills, horse stance exercises etc.). And then there's the distance I would have to travel daily thus costing me a little too much on gas.

All that I can find in my hometown is just bullshido. I try asking for good kickboxing or judo schools but people always direct me to these shitty schools(in fact, I actually saw a building that has TKD, Aikido AND spiritual new age seminars all anounced on brightly colored drawings out side of the same building. Swear to god.) I can't find a single good dojo/gym. I tried to look for a decent boxing school but the closest one is in an inaccessible area all the way in the ghetto.

I also heard from my bro that his college does give courses in judo so I thought of checking that out but I would also like to practice a striking style. I could try looking for a kickboxing/boxing school but I don't wanna go to a place that's too far either. Or I could just go back to TSD but then there's all that **** I have to put up with.

So I really need some advice here. I hope you guys can help me out. I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 11:31pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buy a boxing book, a bag, some gear, and punch your way to a striking art?

**** you math class

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 11:33pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop whining and start beating people up. That'll teach you how to fight.

Other alternatives involve digging until you find something awesome or dropping out of MA until something awesome shows up.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 11:36pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go on 10 Gracie Cruises in a row.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    11/16/2005 1:40am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your in PR, you should be boxing. Also if your into karate there are some kyokushin and Ashihara dojos out there too. Also I'm probably heading out to Augadilla after Thanksgiving so I'm thinking a PR Throwdown.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    11/16/2005 1:48am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You.ve already studied in a striking art.Yes its TSD I know.WTF

So begin your training in a trowing or submission style.Thats what I'll probably do once I'm fed-up with Karate.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    11/16/2005 1:51am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about these places personally but I would at check these out:

http://prfinestkarate.tripod.com/

http://www.geocities.com/ashiharapr/

Edit: I don't know if they're even close to Arecibo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2005 7:54am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Puero Rico has some pretty awesome Judo. A guy from one of the clubs I go to is from there, and he got to train with their Olympic team. He says they're real tough.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/16/2005 8:02am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo + your current knowledge and a heavy bag = the way for now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 11:48am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Puerto Rico has LEGENDARY Boxing instruction. The Island has produced over 30 world champs and about 5 hall of famers. Boxing should be your ticket for striking. Take full advantage of the vast boxing knowledge that is available on the island. As for grappling, I'm not sure how good the grappling is out there.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast