• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 6:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It also hurts a lot if you start by overdoing them, which is what can potentially damage your neck. Better to ease your way into it. I'd advise you to do it on a towel or soft carpet as well and not do it like I did when I begun, doing neck bridges on a stone floor. I now have a kind bony protrusion on my forehead (no joke.) I refer to it as my rhino-horn.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 7:08am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So are neck bridges safe? I mean matt furrey says they are...so I kind of assume they are not just cause of that. I was doing one and when I do them I go up on to my toes and my eyebrows are touching the mat...and the old judo guy told me not to do them because I will have neck injuries when I get older...he said the break down the pads between vertebrae...thoughts?
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 9:01am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neck harnesses are safe as long as you just go up and down. When you start going side to side, that's where it really starts to mess you up. I use a neck harness and isometric exercises myself, I don't bridge as much as I used to anymore.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 9:31am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by greese1
    So are neck bridges safe? I mean matt furrey says they are...so I kind of assume they are not just cause of that. I was doing one and when I do them I go up on to my toes and my eyebrows are touching the mat...and the old judo guy told me not to do them because I will have neck injuries when I get older...he said the break down the pads between vertebrae...thoughts?
    I agree with the old judo guy. Neck bridges increase the chance of disc injuries. IMO, there are safer ways to strengthen the neck.

The reason wrestlers do so many neck bridges isn't to strengthen the neck for the sake of having a strong neck, it's training to bridge out of a pin. Nothing more.

Although neck bridges are an excellent way to strengthen the neck, if your goal isn't to bridge out of a pin, IMO there are safer ways to strengthen the neck that are not as potentially harmful.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 9:46am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    IMO there are safer ways to strengthen the neck that are not as potentially harmful.
    Can you say what the "safer" ways are, or did you already and I'm blind?

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 10:07am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a **** load of ways in the thread I posted.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 10:17am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateNinja5000
    Can you say what the "safer" ways are, or did you already and I'm blind?
    Well, IMO none of these are as effective as neck bridges, but they do work and are much safer over the long term. Because of the potential for disc damage, ROM should not be a significant concern when doing neck strengthening exercises. The safer exercises are more static, or use limited ROM. When using a larger ROM, it's safer not to use a lot of resistance.

1. Isometrics.
    Can be done with your own hands, up against a wall, against the ground, etc.
    2. The towel exercises.
    Using the towel to add resistance.
    3. Weightless ROM exercises.
    Lie on a bed or a bench and move head up & down and side to side off the side of the platform. You can also just hold the head unsupported for time.
    4. Neck harness.
    Very effective but limit the range of motion or have same problem as bridges.
    5. Strengthen the traps (shrugs, etc.).
    Very effective and probabaly the safest way to strengthen the neck.
    6. Chin tucks.
    Lie on your back and tuck your chin into, or close to your chest while trying to stretch and lengthen your neck. Lift your head slightly off the ground, using your abs, and hold it for time as opposed to reps.

Those are a few different ways that are safer than neck bridges. I'm sure there are many more and probably even better ways that I don't know of.

Destroyer of Worlds

Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand (orig from Melb, Aust)

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 4:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chuck on some death metal and headbang like crazy.

I'm not kidding either, my neck is fucking strong.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 4:32pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After I do my situps and pushups, I usually do some neck exercises by laying on my back and moving my head up and down, and side to side. It seems to help somewhat.

That's what my MT instructor recommended, at least.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do neck bridges while supporting my weight with my hands.

I can control the amout of stress, and quickly slip out without injuring my neck if things go south.

Neck bridges and reverse pushups (gymnastic bridges) are great ways to strengthen your back as well.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast