Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Old School DM

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 12:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Will the real Jesse Jackson please shut up.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Rev. Jesse Jackson called the Philadelphia Eagles' punishment of Terrell Owens "much too severe."

Jackson said in a statement released Friday that Owens could have been more professional when he publicly complained about his contract, his team and the Eagles' organization.

But Jackson said Owens' suspension without pay for four games and deactivation for the rest of the season is "much too severe for the charge" and hurts the athlete's NFL career at its height.

The civil rights activist said the level of punishment could have been warranted if Owens had been caught shaving points, selling drugs, carrying a gun or fighting fans without sufficient restraint.

"This does not warrant a one-year ban from the game," Jackson said, adding that the Eagles should release Owens to the open market or free agency if they no longer want to associate with him.

Ralph Nader, a consumer activist and former presidential candidate, has already called for the suspension to be rescinded.

Owens was suspended last week after he said in an interview that the Eagles showed "a lack of class" for not publicly recognizing his 100th career touchdown catch, and that the team would be better off with Green Bay's Brett Favre as quarterback. He has since apologized.

Complete statement
    "Terrell Owens did an interview last week and engaged in some unsportsmanlike speech, deemed detrimental to the team, but nonetheless free speech. He expressed some dissatisfaction with his contract, his team and the Eagles' organization, which should have been expressed in a more professional manner. The Eagles have suspended T.O. for four games without pay and have decided to deactivate him for the rest of the year. His future in the National Football League is uncertain, thus potentially ending his career at its heights.

"This punishment is much too severe for the charge. If he had been caught shaving points, selling drugs, carrying a gun or fighting some fans, who provoked him, and he had not shown sufficient restraint, we could understand the severe suspension, because those are very serious and illegal acts. Unfortunately for T.O., who belatedly apologized three days after the infraction, the real question is do his comments warrant a penalty this severe?

"The answer is no. This does not warrant a one-year ban from the game. The NFL Players Association has taken a position that the punishment does not correspond with the infraction and the association wants the Eagles to cut T.O. if they are not going to reinstate him. I agree. T.O. has publicly apologized. His heart is contrite. If the Philadelphia Eagles' owners do not find his apology acceptable and no longer aim to maintain an association with him, they should release him to the open market or free agency, allowing him to test the free market for his services. I call for fairness in this dispute."
    So am I the only one saddened by seeing someone who has a legitimate claim to fame as a leading member of the civil rights movement slowly turning himself into a caricature?

Over the last decade or so, Jackson has embraced some of the most stupid and unworthy causes imaginable. This latest bit just continues the trend. Are there no "real" problems for minorities in the US anymore that Jackson can champion?

I think he just has learned to love attention over the years, and can't live without it. Sad really.

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesse Jackson is a fucking idiot...so is Sharpton...basically anyone you see of any color, religion, belief, etc who has become a grandstander is no longer looking to raise up their cause. They are only interested in promoting themselves only. Get upset if you want, point fingers where you want, but the blacks in the US are their own worst enemy as far as taking advantage of their own people...or do you really think that Al and Jesse really "want" for much. Call me a racist, but JJ and Sharpton need to just die along with OBL, White Supremecists, and the Irish.

Gringo Grande
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    11/13/2005 1:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Grande
    Jesse Jackson is a fucking idiot...so is Sharpton...basically anyone you see of any color, religion, belief, etc who has become a grandstander is no longer looking to raise up their cause. They are only interested in promoting themselves only. Get upset if you want, point fingers where you want, but the blacks in the US are their own worst enemy as far as taking advantage of their own people...or do you really think that Al and Jesse really "want" for much. Call me a racist, but JJ and Sharpton need to just die along with OBL, White Supremecists, and the Irish.

Gringo Grande
    Agreed. They can also take Kanye West back with them. And while we're at it, don't forget that Jesse Jackson is an adulterous ************.

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 2:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One can only imagine the frothing rage JJ would enter should he ever find out there's a wrestling style named "Sambo."

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 2:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To bad. This would have been a great opportunity for a major leader in the black community to encourage pro athletes to not be arrogant, immature pricks.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 3:16pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...on.ap/?cnn=yes

It isn't, and it made from page of CNN yesterday as well.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Grande

Gringo Grande
    The Irish eh...Ohhhkay, I see how it is...

GONG SAU!!!

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 3:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't know the JJ was Owen's Agent.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is looking for as much face time in front of the cameras as he can get. I don't think he gives a damn about T.O. This is all about JJ.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 4:09pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Owens is a prima donna. I am very sick of these pro athletes thinking they have license to do and say what they want without repercussion. 1 year ban should be fine. Let him think about what it would be like to be just another unemployed ex-football player.

Jesse, Al, and the whole gang are living 30 years ago. They need to wake up. It isn't a race thing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast