Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2005 5:18am

Style: Enshin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gun Control

Is there a particular discipline(besides the obvious don't-shoot-yourself-in-the-foot rules)that apply to guns? Such as rolling to avoid incoming fire, crouching, aiming, etc? I'm not talking about Gun Kata or Gun Fu or Gun fucking whatever. I'm talking about how to really handle a gun, as in RACING a car rather than DRIVING a car.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/12/2005 7:07am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You rest or support the gun if possible.

That is one thing they do not show in the movies.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Ex-RAF

Posted On:
    11/12/2005 8:05am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It gets tricky. There are principles of marksmanship that you should follow to get the best shot; when you're in the middle of a barney though, that usually goes to hell as you don't have enough time to aim, control your breathing, etc..

Basically:

1. Choose your position (standing, crouching/sitting, lying prone)
    2. Support the weapon. Firmly rest the stock against your shoulder, with one hand on the grip and the other resting about 2/3 of the way down the rifle - it's obvious where to put your hand. It's the big bit that looks suitable for gripping just before the muzzle.
    2b: Different stances require different positioning. If lying, the side of you that holds the pistolgrip should be straight, so if you're right handed, your right leg would be straight, where your left leg would be bent and out to the side, with your left shin parallel to your right leg for stability when firing. This is, however, just one example; there are more.
    3. Choose your target, and aim.

Now this is where it gets tricky:

4. Before you shoot, you want to get your breathing slow and even. So, take 3 deep breaths, and exhale slowly, or as many as you need until you feel calmer.
    5. Take a deep breath and hold it. Correct aim. Fire. Exhale.
    6. Repeat 5.

That's more or less it. Most of it is self control and breathing. Of course, when the **** hits the fan, that's why you have a selector for automatic fire.

As for avoiding gunfire, if someone opens up on you, run zig-zag to the nearest cover and do it ERATICALLY to stop them getting a bead on you. Then take cover, locate the target, and use the above steps or just return fire depending on the severity of the threat. Chances are though that if they see you first, you're usually dead.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/12/2005 10:02am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's sort of like MA in the sense that there are certain fundamentals that will rarely change. Once those fundamentals are mastered, then you build upon them.

The fundamentals that never really change are:

1. Sight alignment
    2. Sight picture
    3. Breath control
    4. Trigger control

Now, sometimes you will train quick draw point shooting and other things that basically have nothing to do with the above fundamentals, but that usually comes much later and is part of very specialized training.

Just like MA, there are drills you can do to work on each of those fundamentals. And just like MA, those fundamentals should become automatic. It takes lots and lots of practice. Once mastered, then you add other things that will often change according to the environment or scenario in which you find yourself. The most basic of these are:

1. Stance
    2. Hold
    3. Target acquisition

Then you'll add dynamic training. Basically shooting while moving.

As for all of this diving and hollywood crap, most of that is nonesense. We were taught that "slow is smooth and smooth is fast". That's the philosophy followed by all of the elite military, FBI and SWAT teams when it comes to dynamic entry, CQB, room clearing activity. I've done room clearing drills with SWAT teams and military spec. op teams, and it always feels like your moving much more slowly than you actually are. It's all about discipline and control.

Just like there is a huge difference between Hollywood MA and "real" MA, there is a huge difference between Hollywood shooting and "real" shooting.

Registered Member

I'm surrounded by farms in middle america.

Posted On:
    11/12/2005 10:15am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, look for tactical gun courses, you can usually find them by looking at Mercenary outfits (exexcutive training) or finding an NRA safety course teacher and asking them about it.

Off the top of my head, there's Blackwater on the east coast, Personal Responsibility Inc in Nashville, and Gunsite in Arizona (Gunsite being the most widely known and probably the best).

It isn't quite what you're thinking of, the difference between what you described and what they teach is the difference between wushu and Muay Thai (not to insult you, just to quickly explain the difference without being long winded).

*Cheers*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2005 7:48pm

Style: Wing Chun Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some good self-defence clubs include firearms training