Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 10:31am

Style: Goju-Ryu Karate-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just found out - i have to compete TOMORROW!

okay - i heard about the tournament last week, and had no plans on competing. Well, last night in class, sensei calls me up to see kata. i told her the only reason i was going to the tournament was becuz my 9 yr old wants to kumite. Sensei says, we are getting out of doing the community tournaments, but i am required to do this one because it is a regional qualifier for a national event!!!! :help:
    i have been training, but i would prefer to feel a little more comfortable. i know a martial artist is supposed to always be ready but still. . . . .
    any words of advice or encouragement would be appreciated!!

It is in Columbus, if anyone is near. I can't find the link but it is sponsored by After-School All Stars - (they have adult competition too)

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 10:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Slightly off topic - you should check out this thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27315

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 10:43am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give us more details. What kind of tournament? How ready are you? What is it a qualifier for( be specific)?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 11:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry - i dont have all the details
    all i know is - saturday the 12th at J. Ashburn Youth Center, 65 Clarendon Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43223. It is on the westside of Columbus. registration from 8-10 a.m., tournament expected to go until 6pm. $35 reg fee at the door
    $5 admission
    I guess this is something being put on by Ernie Reyes, Jr. I keep trying to bring up the website www.columbusasas.org - but something is wrong. After School All Stars, then you have to check out Columbus site. From what i can tell, Ernie Reyes, Jr. is doing some martial arts reality show. It says media coverage on flyer - but i am not clear if they are taping for the show or what. forms, breaking and kumite & a few demonstrations.
    Will post again after i get more info.

I have been working out a little, but not officially tournament training. We sparred in class last week & i am fairly confident. But, i am a little person (5'3" about 110 lbs) so i always get nervous, not knowing if some Big Girls will be there you know? I am pretty quick. But like i said, haven't been tournament training & we all get a little nervous, dont we????? :icon_pale

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 11:35am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol thanks for the "details" but what I meant was: "What kind of rules? What weightclasses? What belt classes?" Stuff like that. The location is not so important to me.

Don't worry about it in general a good coach won't put you in a helpless situation. If she said you can do it you probably can you just need to unlock that potential in yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 11:47am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's something that a lack of preparation could possibly get you seriously injured (like a NHB match) then I'd recommend refusing to participate.

Other than that, just go, do your best, and if you do well, then great.
    If you don't, blame it on the lack of preparation :]

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 11:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the dang link won't work, nobody's answering the phone, flyer is at home ERRGGHH
    from what i recall, i didn't see any weightclass divisions - so, you see my concern for the big girls ;)
    just - beginning, intermediate, advanced & blackbelt divisions
    age brackets where male/female compete in younger ages then from age 13 up was divided by gender
    no hitting to the face, back or below belt
    everything is one point
    one warning for illegal strike - then disqualified - - blood, immediate disqualification
    if its anything different than that - i'll post after 3:30 when my dawta gets home & i can have her read it

okay, so since its so early - any suggestions for breakfast guys?? i try to do oatmeal or something real filling, pretty much a vegetarian - -what should i take for snack? i don't eat those hotdogs & **** food they always sell - - i've competed in arnold schwarzanegger's world tournament here (& got gold) but never anything for a national qualifier - -
    damn, can you tell i'm nervous &
    WhiteShark you are right - she wouldn't expect me to do it if she had any doubt at all - i am just doubting myself & i KNOW better than to be doing that

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OSU! OSU!
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Old School DM

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 11:52am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since it doesn't sound like the kind of tourney where you are likely to have an appendage ripped off, I'd say just go out, do your best, and have fun.

Its not like anyone can have any expectations for you when you had no time to prepare, so just relax and enjoy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 11:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by warnerj5000
    If it's something that a lack of preparation could possibly get you seriously injured (like a NHB match) then I'd recommend refusing to participate.

Other than that, just go, do your best, and if you do well, then great.
    If you don't, blame it on the lack of preparation :]

refusing to participate is NOT an option - if she says so, then it goes so - -
    she already gave me my registration money cuz she knows i'm broke right now - -
    sorry, what is NHB?
    i did fine when we sparred last week & good on the heavy bag last night
    i guess it is just the mental preparation & the fact that i don't do tournaments much - - altho it is my dream :ninja2:
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast