Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 2:21pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Two cents

When you stack me I just ball up. I bring my knees as close as I can to my chest and imagine my hips are on greased castors. If he tries to pass low, I turn sideways and throw one leg over his shoulder, right by his neck, so he knows if he gives me an inch he's going to get a reverse triangle thrown. The leg across the back must have a curled foot at all times. When you curl your toes toward your shin it contracts the calf muscle, this helps you hold your opponent down and is also crucial to crisp triangles.

If he tries to pass high I will place my feet, or my knees, on his hips, shoulders, biceps and or some beneficial combination of these three to push him away enough for me to spin around, all the way if necessary, back to a better guard, usually one with hooks. By hook guard I mean your curled foot behind his knees. You must pull his knees toward you to keep his legs bent, keeping him high and off balance. I favor going for kneebars while they are high and I'm spinning.

The breakdown on spinning:
    I don't know if I can explain this properly. The principle behind spinning is to ball up when someone rolls you up or stacks you. The ball involves bringing your knees as close to your chest as possible, your feet as close to your butt as is feasible, your elbows tucked in, and preferably, control of at least one of your opponents sleeve, an arm, an ankle or a knee. Never be flat on your back when you are attempting the ball. When they stack you, you just contract, waiting for an opportunity to uncoil. Your knees (and to a lesser extent your feet) are your weapons, insert them wherever you can to make space, on his hips, across his chest wherever. Make space to get back to guard. While using the ball technique you should be doing your best impersonation of a pillbug until an opening for a foot, hooking foot or knee occurs.

On your side, on your ear/ shoulder or high on your back are good positiong to attack from. Never on your head, unless you crave injury. I often orbit around their head when my opponent stacks me, so that at one point my feet are above me and my head is pointing toward their feet. To get the triangle, the key here is to stay as close as you can to their head with your hips, if you can do this triangles will often present themselves. Grab his sleeve with one hand and his tricep with the other, pull his arm across his neck to help narrow the gap between your inner thigh and the place his neck joins his shoulders.

If he is pinning your other leg underneath him just continue to spin until it's free or a sweep is available. This requires you to switch your hands between the sleeve by his wrist and the tricep area. Always spin towards his trapped hand, which should be pulled across his chest. To get back to guard push them away with your feet/knees to do a complete spin

Edit: This guard requires fairly good hip and leg flexibility.

It's taken me more than a year to develop this guard and I am by no means an expert. I have used it against whites through browns with a decent success rate.

Someone already mentioned the 'best defense is a good offense' argument. With this in mind I suggest controlling your opponent in guard. Take charge when you're in guard, grab that sleeve or neck. Place that foot on their hip and stretch them out. Try to keep them off balance and sweep or subs will present themselves.
    Last edited by jnp; 11/14/2005 12:57pm at . Reason: clarification
    Shut the hell up and train.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****. Everything has been said. Guess all I can do is be Hannibal and say the exact same things.. Or be a classical bullshidomember and mock your attempt at getting out of something that's 99% finished allready.

hmmm.. what to do..

LOL HOW DO GET OUT OF ARMBAR?!
    More human than human is our motto.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 3:14pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    maybe something like this would work
    http://bjj.org/techniques/aranha/sweeptoarmlock/

obviously you'll be more compacted, but if you wiggle to the side you might be able to create enough room to exert force with your leg.
    That's exactly the sweep I was going to recommend. Works wonders on people trying to drive into you or stack. Have to do it quickly, it's not a sweep that can really be done step by step.

I would be happy to make a demo vid of it from standard guard and from being stacked.

edit: why am I always the last person at the party?

Yrkoon wrote it out well.

My school calls it the scissor sweep.
    Last edited by Stick; 11/11/2005 3:18pm at .

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 4:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Yeah I am staying flat on my back and just walking my legs up or getting folded. I need to really walk out with my shoulders and keep my body higher.
    So you have to go WITH the opponents force, wow, what a novel idea.

* blows raspberry *

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 6:09pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not exactly straight down, they are pushing more forward than down, trying to bring your knee(s) to your face. So when you sweep you continue to bring them forward, effectively rolling them over.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 7:29pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As you feel him start to underhook your legs, take control of the sleeves and PULL. Same time, flatten yourself out, walk back on your shoulders and drop your legs to the ground hard.

Hook your insteps under his thighs like butterflying over his arms. Pull his head down and flatten him out.

If that fails, shoulder roll backwards and bring the bottom knee through the instant you're turtled. Now you're back where you started.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 7:40pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have DDT'd people like this in the past. Guys who base like a pyramid, lean way over me, and attempt to push on my chest, throttle me, can opener, etc.

I swim my arms inside thiers and push the wrists with my forearms until the grip break, then grab both hands and force them down to my hips. At the same time I open my guard, bring my knees to my chest (exactly what they wanted) and kick (extend legs). The effect is exteme offbalancing and they are left with nothing to post with except thier head.

GOTTA WATCH THE HEADBUTT THOUGH!

As they faceplant you can continue over the top or to the side for the sweep.

Sorta like a modified Tomoe Nage, but with the shins in thier armpits instead. This sorta thing only works on newbs, or giant lumbering gorillas who only think to smash.

Trying to make sense of it all

Posted On:
    11/12/2005 12:01am

supporting member
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    That was a shot from a guard pass demo I found. No I'm not putting both feet over on purpose. I just meant that body position of getting folded up. I keep getting stuck there especially with bigger fighters.
    Most of the guys I roll with like to triangle and armbar from the guard, so stacking is an absolute must in my repertoire. I still have a rather lousy ground game, so this often comes as a reaction to a triangle or armbar attempt rather than an actual guard pass. However, I find that when I do stack them I don't stack them quite as low and tight as that picture shows. After all, from that position you can hardly take the side mount.

For me, this raises a whole new question - if I stack the opponent, I should be able to pass the guard to wind up in side mount or top mount position. However, I find that because I'm so big and not too quick, I usually wind up back inside the guard again. Obviously there is a detail I'm missing in this kind of guard pass that keeps me getting back there, can anyone offer some suggestions on what that might be?

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    11/12/2005 12:15am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually from that picture on the 1st page he passes to side control very easily. He simply shucks the legs off to his left side and its over.

And the reason you are getting put back in the guard after an attempted pass is probably because you fail to block the hips, and instead prefer to go over his body with your arm instead of keeping it between you.

Posted On:
    11/12/2005 3:35am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Sorta like a modified Tomoe Nage, but with the shins in thier armpits instead. This sorta thing only works on newbs, or giant lumbering gorillas who only think to smash.
    What are you trying to say here? That I can't be a giant lumbering gorilla that likes to finesse my movements? RACIST!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast