Posted On:
    11/11/2005 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    maybe something like this would work
    http://bjj.org/techniques/aranha/sweeptoarmlock/

obviously you'll be more compacted, but if you wiggle to the side you might be able to create enough room to exert force with your leg.

another option may be to roll backwards over your shoulder (of course with your legs under his arms it might be difficult to get them out), you'll end up in turtle and he may have a leg lock if he's quick, but it's another option.
    Last edited by MaverickZ; 11/11/2005 11:02am at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 11:15am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's my lack of scooting now that I look at more pictures. I'm being static on my back and just working my legs up which is giving them the stack. I guess I need to work my whole body higher when I am climbing not just my legs.

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Standing in until Yrkoon9 gets here...

One piece of advice I have is that if you're in class and getting stacked hard then let the guy pass before you feel any pain. I got stacked by someone on the ETF when he tried to bulldoze through my guard and I ended up tearing the dura on both my sciatic nerves in the lumbar area of my back. There was a point where certain sitting positions and all leg pressing motions would cause a noticeable pain. I corrected this with some deep-tissue massage and back extension exercises.

Anyway, if the guy is stacking you he has to be on his feet, so spin your hips and hook his leg to bring him back down, or if you have the triangle partially closed and also have the arm you can just hook the leg opposite the trapped arm as he comes forward and he should fall into a mounted triangle. If you're flexible enough you can open your guard as he drives forward and put your feet on his hips, then kick him over and land in mount.

The big danger in your guard is someone with good posture, not someone who tries to stack and smash the **** out of you.

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 11:53am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I think it's my lack of scooting now that I look at more pictures. I'm being static on my back and just working my legs up which is giving them the stack. I guess I need to work my whole body higher when I am climbing not just my legs.
    Get those hips moving, sonny. Your form against that canine was WEAK!

This thread has made me realize that I never stack people to pass the closed guard. Generally I go knee-through to whichever side they'll give me, or I do a pass that I am not sure I can easily describe (Or I "let" them get butterfly guard and do a couple passes from there that I like a lot, but this might not be such a great strategy overall).

When the guard breaks, you trap one of your opponent's feet between your legs (sometimes you skip this step), extend your leg that's farther from the trapped leg to clear the foot, step over/around the knee, change base, and you are through. The whole time you are doing this you are tight to the opponent's body. Not an exact description, but close enough.

Guess it's time to start playing with stacking more often.
    Last edited by Cassius; 11/11/2005 11:55am at .

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 11:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punch them in the face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 12:57pm

Style: BJJ blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disclamer:I only have about 3 months of BJJ, so any and all of this advice may be crap.

If you are always getting stacked when you are going for a triangle, I'd say you probably are not breaking the dudes balance down. Whether he is standing or kneeling in your gaurd, when you go for a triangle he should be seriously bent over. When someone is in my closed guard, kneeling, I find that if I do not control their head by pulling it down, the triangle usually fails. If the guy is standing, I like to play the spyder gaurd, and there you need to have the leg that is controlling his hip extended, with your body turned at an angle so the he is forced to be bent over. When his balance is off like this, it becomes very hard for him to escape.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    Punch them in the face.
    Yeah I don't see why this went two pages...didn't you try the chain punching?

I also suck and get stacked when going for armbars and triangles from the guard. A friend told me to not worry about finishing subs from the guard because if you're stacked, you need to burn so much energy to finish, and it only really works if you're stronger, or the guy is extremely tired. I mean I have yet to be able to put his advice into practice, but what he had me working on was starting an armbar, or going for a higher guard, and when the stack starts, hook a leg and attempt a sweep, then finish from there or switch positions.

Last week in class we also practiced the same thing, but it's still different in an actual free rolling environment, so it's still going to take time.

I also roll no gi, so I don't know if that would make any difference to you. That and I still suck, so you can ignore my advice.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 1:28pm

Style: BJJ blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    look at the similar threads.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay.

First of all I am going to work off the picture on page 1. Recognize trying to defend against THIS kind of stack is like saying...How do I get out of an armbar? The answer is, you are too late. Anything you do at this point is secondary because you made a mistake.

In this particular case the guy on bottoms only chance is to roll backwards over his right shoulder. The reason he can do this is, if you look closely, the top mans left arm is just kind of holding his hip. If he were going to stop this roll over he would be grabbing the bottom guys belt, ass, waistband, or something to pull him backwards.

So lets move back a few steps.

Being stacked in full guard isn't that big a deal. It causes a lot of pressure on your spine and it can hurt. Usually this is a big guy move. Grrrrr SMASH! And stacking from the guard isn't that effective as a pass. Great for GnP but not for passing.

Lets talk for a second about an opportunity that occurs BEFORE the stack. The guy usually makes a mistake and gets off one knee and posts out on that foot, then puts weight on it, get the other foot up, and eventually stands up.

The moment to strike is just as they post out with thier first leg. For example my opponent likes to stick his left leg out to get some base. I immediately dive to my right and underhook his left leg with the crook of my elbow or hand. I am using my left hand to CONTROL and pin his right hand which is usually in SMASH position on my chest. Almost as if you wanted to go for an armbar I swing my hips in the same direction as I lift his leg up. Sweep or armbar or both!

Okay. That didn't work. Now he is wise. His stack is going to be much more controlled and he realizes he might get swept with this whole 'leaning into me' thing he wants to do. So the pace slows down somewhat from his caution.

Now you can simply 'walk' your shoulders backwards. That will pull him forwards and offbalance. Stack is nullified. Do this as many times as neccessary.

Holding the back of the head really tight with one arm makes for great triangle and armbar attempts while they try to stack. Keep doing this and either submit them, or make them so wary of the danger they stop doing it.

Uh oh....the worst thing has happened! He got my guard open and both arms inside! Arrrrghhh! What to do?!?!

First, don't let him clasp his hands together. This allows him to control your hips.
    Second, WALK YOU SHOULDERS BACKWARDS LIKE CRAZY! Push on his face! Try to get one leg back inside!
    Third, pivot with him. Don't let him come around to the side.
    Fourth, if possible drive one hand between your legs and under his same side armpit. Deeep. Then reach over that shoulder with your opposite hand and clasp. He can't pass.
    Fifth, if things are moving too FAST and you couldn't do any of that stuff it is likely he is not able to pin your head AND grab your belt for good control. Roll backwards over a shoulder as he lifts you to stack. Come up on your knees under him and take him down.
    Sixth, if all else has failed and he managed to stack - come to the side - pin your head and control your hips you have got to hip escape like mad.

There are different variations of stacking. For example straddling one leg and pinning it, while hoisting the other leg on your shoulder and pushing it to the chest. That is like stacking one leg. A 'reverse' stack, would be against a guy who uses a sitting guard so you grab behind his head and push it down to his knees as you spin around to his back. Wrestlers use a sort of stack called a cradle that can flatten you out. Just keep this stuff in mind and try to be flexible both in mind and body.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 1:55pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I am staying flat on my back and just walking my legs up or getting folded. I need to really walk out with my shoulders and keep my body higher.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast