Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously if he complains then reduce the level a bit; but if he doesn't the pain should help convince him to put some power in his own strikes.

Either that or go train some TMA with no contact sparring at the mall or some yoga or something. Real MA shouldn't be a fantasy camp. If you train at place with full contact, expect to be hit. Too many people show up who want the street cred but don't want to do the work.

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 7:56pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ames
    Either that or go train some TMA with no contact sparring at the mall or some yoga or something. Real MA shouldn't be a fantasy camp. If you train at place with full contact, expect to be hit. Too many people show up who want the street cred but don't want to do the work.
    Exactly. If you aren't willing to do a little work, you don't belong in at an "alive" school.

I was referring to motivation as encouragement in my other posts, I suppose.

ojgsxr6: I think the best solution to your problem is your most recent idea. Just ask for a new training partner and explain why. Any teacher in his right mind would grant your request.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    11/19/2005 6:26am

Style: gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean
    Exactly. If you aren't willing to do a little work, you don't belong in at an "alive" school.

I was referring to motivation as encouragement in my other posts, I suppose.

ojgsxr6: I think the best solution to your problem is your most recent idea. Just ask for a new training partner and explain why. Any teacher in his right mind would grant your request.
    That's just not quite true....

particularly if the school has a few students and your shifu or instructor knows you have some skill to help carry the school along smoothly.... in a school sometimes drilling and sparring with less skilled players is just part of the deal and being that with luck at some stage you'll get someone with moore skill than yourself to spar with ...... sweet as and thk christ for chipping in.

cheers and happy practice
    BtL

Posted On:
    11/19/2005 3:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blooming lotus
    That's just not quite true....

particularly if the school has a few students and your shifu or instructor knows you have some skill to help carry the school along smoothly.... in a school sometimes drilling and sparring with less skilled players is just part of the deal and being that with luck at some stage you'll get someone with moore skill than yourself to spar with ...... sweet as and thk christ for chipping in.

cheers and happy practice
    BtL
    In some circumstances, I would agree. But if his training partner won't train properly, why should ojgsxr6's training suffer? From the context given in this thread, it appears that ojgsxr6's partner has been given ample time to understand what is expected of him. If he's not willing to take a few hits and to dish it out, what is he doing training in a hard-contact martial art?

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/19/2005 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean
    In some circumstances, I would agree. But if his training partner won't train properly, why should ojgsxr6's training suffer? From the context given in this thread, it appears that ojgsxr6's partner has been given ample time to understand what is expected of him. If he's not willing to take a few hits and to dish it out, what is he doing training in a hard-contact martial art ?
    Dont forget the back brace . He showed up in a back brace and used it as an excuse . If I show up injured I do only what I can and amuse myself doing what I can ( like instead of conditioning drills with a partner when I had a stomach bug I stayed to myself and watched and stretched ) no need to drag the whole class down or any one person to what I can manage.

I think some one has refered to these type of people as "sand baggers" you know those people who pay good money to stand around and complain about how tough the training is and refuse to actualy give some resistance much less actually kick you... or is that a different term ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    11/19/2005 5:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    I think some one has refered to these type of people as "sand baggers" you know those people who pay good money to stand around and complain about how tough the training is and refuse to actualy give some resistance much less actually kick you... or is that a different term ...
    I would call that person a punching bag, personally.

1.) They are only good for getting hit and kicked
    2.) They complain and are annoying

PERFECT!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2005 7:29pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i get motivated by getting punched in the face. i'm very motivated.

Posted On:
    11/19/2005 9:29pm

Style: gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    Dont forget the back brace . He showed up in a back brace and used it as an excuse . If I show up injured I do only what I can and amuse myself doing what I can ( like instead of conditioning drills with a partner when I had a stomach bug I stayed to myself and watched and stretched ) no need to drag the whole class down or any one person to what I can manage.

These students are b*tch to pull consistently when all 'you' want to do is just train, but these students do and will likely always exist in our schools . Every now and then you'll have the bit*hing pleasure of working with them. As long as it's not every single class that 'you' particularly are having to deal with him, you've just got to deal with it. if it is every time, then I 'd raise it with your instructor. .just ask them to rotate him or something...no doubt if there are enough students to do that, there shouldn't be a problem. Sifu needs a new car and unfortunately, sometimes you just have to cop that that's the way it is.......unless of course you want to go somewhere else??

Blooming Lotus

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2005 7:39am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bloody wanker
    i get motivated by getting punched in the face. i'm very motivated.
    No need to thank me, it's my pleasure.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    11/24/2005 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you tell your instructor why you want a new partner, he'll probably watch the two of you. If he sees that you are using reasonable force, and the other person is wimping, he'll step in and say something.

Generally, it is not good for someone to train that way. Most instructors know this. If he's a good one, he'll have a word with your parnter, and the guy will either start to hit, or leave the class. Either one is preferable to where you are now.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast