Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/11/2005 1:20am

Style: gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Everytime we train, what bothers me is that I'm not tough at all.

mmmhmmm...real competition is hard to find..........

Imo the thing is, you either kick his her as8 showing them some carrots they can chase, you do several schools at once and hope for someone to show up ..... you take peace in whatever the hell your practice looks like at the time or you just notch it up as community service and start looking abroard!!! ( btw : duhhhh.... am in China!!! ...... ;) cheers)

BtL

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well...I had this same problem...me and this guy started training together and so we'd usually get paired up together...he would never hit me hard or realistically at all. After about a year of nicely trying to get him to hit me I just bitch slapped in the face and said 'come on bitch hit me!'. It was mean, but he hit me hard after that. It was for his own good, but I feel a bit like a prick, but **** man, he was wasting my time.

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 2:11pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Next time he socks you in the face, just tell him "Damn, that was a good one!" Give him a big smile, and he'll understand that you're not just being a dick. He'll think you're a friggin loony, but what the hell? That's not such a bad thing.

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 2:12pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right now in my Enshin class the guy I always get stuck with is too compliant. We were practicing combos where we would finish with a backward throw (Ura Nage) and he'd start falling back before I even started moving him. Also when we do conditioning he doesn't hit me hard when I ask him to. Once in a while he will throw a hard kick that takes me by surprise but otherwise he's pretty wimpy.

Edit: maybe I shouldn't call him wimpy, and I understand that everyone wants to train at a certain level but I have no problem go light with him, but why can't he go hard with me. Also unless you're demonstrating or learning new a throw or sweep on me, I make anyone who throws or sweeps me earn it.
    If it is a guy I've been training with for awhile and am on good terms with him, I try to make him my bitch, repeatedly. If you are being lazy and sloppy, you could get subbed/dominated. I motivate my teammates to work hard by trying to beat them. That's how bjj works.

How do I motivate someone that's new? Well, if he's a big guy (similar in size to me) that uses a lot of muscle and is tapping some smaller guys, I don't give him an inch. I try to show him that technique trumps strength (A qualifier here is that I actually have to use technique. If I "cheat," he's not going to learn anything) when working with guys the same size/strength as him, and that his strength isn't going to be enough against me. The guy is already getting the cool "ooh I got a submission on somebody" feeling. I want to motivate him to get good, not to beat up his training partners. Also, I try to tell him when I notice that he's gone from doing something wrong to doing something right.

If the guy is smaller/weaker and/or really attempting to use technique? I'll let him play and just work defense. An exception here is if he goes after my legs. I don't like it when newbies attack my legs. No good can come from that.

I think getting to know the people and being friendly toward them is a good way to get them motivated. People are a lot more likely to stick around, train hard, and train safe if they think of themselves as part of the group.

On the other hand, some people just aren't cut out for martial arts that require hard work. In that case, they either change their attitude or quit pretty fast.

Disclaimer: I've been doing BJJ for like 16 months now, so I'm sort of a beginner too.
    Last edited by Cassius; 11/18/2005 7:58pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thats good advise so far .

The only thing I could add is that , not everyone gets it . Not everyone has the heart or the will to do Martial Arts . I find these people all over the place . They want to feel like Ted Deadly on the inside but refuse to take the knocks or "dont want to hurt people" . It sounds like your training partner is one of those types .

You can not motivate other people . They have to motivate themselves . I say simply train like you need to . If that means not having alot of training partners , well , welcome to the real world . Maybe your drive to be good will rub off on him or others when they don't feel like they can hang any more .

Not pushing yourself or your partner is an injustice to you both .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 2:40pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    Ideally, pushing your training partners would be considered motivation. Too bad some people find it discouraging.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 3:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say simply train like you need to.
    Unfortunately, sometimes training, especially conditioning requires my partner to be into it.

If I push him too hard he'll be out of class for at least a week, he showed up Monday with a back brace on.

I think I'm just going to tell the instructor to put me with somebody who will at least push me, I don't need to always go at 100% but at least go 50% with me.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately, sometimes training, especially conditioning requires my partner to be into it.
    yep thats my point ... you cant make him ... or motivate him... its an internal thing
    If I push him too hard he'll be out of class for at least a week, he showed up Monday with a back brace on.
    oh for christs sake .. if your wearing a back brace the last thing you need to do is any M.A. with contact and resistance

I think I'm just going to tell the instructor to put me with somebody who will at least push me, I don't need to always go at 100% but at least go 50% with me.
    damn straight ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't motivate people. Everyone has to motivate themselves. Because of this, there are only 5 regulars in our grappling classes once a week. Some people try it out now and then, but quickly think it's nothing for them since it's pretty intense compared to the regular McDojoish training.

But that's the way it has to be. If people can't keep up or don't want to keep up, then quite frankly they aren't manning up and that's just too bad. Everybody has to motivate themselves or the training won't be training at all.

And just to make myself clear, this does not mean that everything is deadly hard-ass and macho. But things have to be done properly, or there's no point to it. imho.
    More human than human is our motto.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/18/2005 3:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think if he says he wants to go full contact and he's not hitting you hard, then IMO just lay the beating down. Obviously if he complains then reduce the level a bit; but if he doesn't the pain should help convince him to put some power in his own strikes.
    Straight punches make you go blind. More damage is done to a criminals nervous system when they are struck. Strikes that make you stronger. All this and more systema douchebaggery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak-m2iwI7Q

NEW BONUS REEL, feat RobG at it again! lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDnMDJVWmQ
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast