Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 3:06am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The overhand right

Here's an oft neglected punch in the boxing arsenal that I think has it's pros and cons and needs to be trained more. My experience is limited, so if anyone has more to add/debate, go right ahead.

For those not in the know, here's a pic of the technique being applied

I've seen it best described as "throwing a baseball" while firing a cross

The basic idea behind it as described by Mark Hatmaker in "Savage Strikes" is

*The punch travels in a minor looping arc over an opponent's jab

So...we basically got a looping rearhand punch that acts as a counter for straight punches. Sounds pretty groovey no? So why is it so rarely taught anymore?

My only guess would be the speed at which it travels. You have the range of a straight punch with slower timing, meaning you have to somehow anticipate a fast jab with a faster overhand. Doesn't seem to make much sense.

However, we've seen many people in MMA circles making great use of looping punches, Liddell being a prime example (of course, those are really more hooks, but still). Furthermore, the fact that it is so rarely trained means it can be an unpreditacble addition to your aresenal, and if trained well, very powerful and useful for counter punching.

My personal experience: I suck at counter punching, but have found other great uses for this. Great follow up to a lead hand uppercut, forcing their chin up and plastering them back down to the mat. Another is for that individual that bobs and weaves with their head down. Another great way to launch them to the mat.

Yeah, I'm just rambling here. Someone with more experience contribute some thoughts.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 4:58am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the punch and use it frequently in sparring. I am a short guy and many of my sparring partners are taller so after working with straight punches for a while my opponents guard might go down a bit as my punches will come slightly from below. When I notice this I sometimes throw the overhand right over the guard or jab. Sometimes vs very tall guys it can work against the body too.

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 9:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Astrosmurf has hit a nail in his post. Very useful against taller opponents.

Also, it is not as uncommon as you may think. Ive seen it in plenty boxing matches.It works wonders againts slow jabbers.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 9:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Instead of the jab I am surprised more of you haven't used it against the cross that follows.
    My favorite and one I have seen a lot of boxing KO's from, is basically if you imagine the picture posted above but with the guy on the right much farther to the left. In other words, slip the cross and kind of duck down to your left, under the cross or to the left of it and let your right hand fly as you slip past. Excellent leverage and you've outflanked him.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 9:48am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always thought it was kind of like a hook that didn't come round the sides but went over the top instead. Awesome description I know but there you go.

Whenever I see it in boxin it always seems like it's used against an over commited cross though rather than a jab, don't know if anyone has any vids wshowing it used against jabs?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 9:48am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Instead of the jab I am surprised more of you haven't used it against the cross that follows.
    My favorite and one I have seen a lot of boxing KO's from, is basically if you imagine the picture posted above but with the guy on the right much farther to the left. In other words, slip the cross and kind of duck down to your left, under the cross or to the left of it and let your right hand fly as you slip past. Excellent leverage and you've outflanked him.
    I think I do that one also sometimes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 9:56am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the punch, you throw it right over a lazy jab, works like a charm. I disagree that its neglected. I can't speak for MMA-Boxing training, but regular, traditional boxing schools still teacch it often to my knowledge.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 1:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about us mutant freaks that fight from southpaw with our overhand LEFTS? This is one of my favorite strikes. It's also the one I fear most. In fact my driver's license photo is going to be a four year reminder of why I ph34r the overhand right.

In MMA, you see a lot of huge looping punches that could losely be described as overhands, but it looks more like a hail mary style punch (the guy usually ducks his head, looking at the ground and firing the shot like an angry rainbow of death and destruction). It's the methodical skilled strikers, or the ones with freakish attributes that have the killer overhands. Bustamante...he's got a good overhand, because his torso and arms are freakishly long.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar

I've done that exact thing to Kat in sparring many many times.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    igor vovchanchyn uses this a LOT and knocks people out with it.

we call it sau choy in my school.

i use it a lot (another short guy here) and i often fight southpaw so i like to counter-punch the jab with it

mach sakurai uses it a lot, especially against opposite guard. (watch the bushido 9 tournament for classic examples.)
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast