...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/02/2006 5:49pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seconded.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    4/02/2006 5:58pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom7
    if you ever felt anything like that for yourself, you wouldn't doubt it. my instructor hit someone directly in a point on the side of the leg that made him do nothing more than throw up. he also tapped me on top of the head while sparring, causing me to get dizzy and lose balance. i simply fell over. i also saw him knock someone out by striking a point in back of the head, but then again, i guess you can say that happens when you hit someone on back of the head(although he didn't strike hard, with a power shot; more of a precise internal strike). but the point is, there's nothing mystical or magical about it. William Cheung also wrote an article about fraudulent chi practictioners, and i've heard him on several occasions dismiss all the legends and myths of chi that get passed on through other kung fu schools and magazines. but attacking pressure points and manipulating chi flow or nerve points or whatever work by the same principles accupuncture and accupressure works. i'm fairly certain scientific studies have proven the effectiveness of accupuncture, but would you doubt that, too? it doesn't matter; i use accupressure myself to alleviate inflamation and cramping(and i have very little knowledge of the art).
    Am the only person that noticed this post that somehow snuck on here?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2006 6:28pm

Style: thugjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NICE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kengou
    So the newest issue of Black Belt arrived today. Among the articles, there are the "Top 10 Myths and Misconceptions about the Martial Arts". Surprisingly, it wasn't terribly bad. Of course other sections more than made up for that, but I'm getting ahead of myself here.

here are Black Belt's OFFICIAL top 10 myths:
    1: A Black Belt must register himself as a deadly weapon

2 (I have no clue where they got this one): Bruce Lee was assassinated by shaolin killer monks

3: A Black Belt is a master

4: All martial arts are ancient (actually does a good job here by mentioning that TKD is only about 50 or 60 years old; however, also says that kung fu is 3,000 years old, and Jujutsu is 1,000 years old)

5: Traditional systems don't work (I was impressed, basically said it's the person, not the style, anyone can make an art work if they work hard to make it work)

6:There is a world champion (explained that there were champions of thousands of martial arts, in dozens of weight classes and gender classes, and that therefore there were around 6,000 world champions in the martial arts)

7: There are death matches (mentioned Count Dante and Bloodsport, pretty good)

8: Masters are always calm and serene (reminded me of JFS)

9: Women can't do martial arts well

10: A black belt can take on a whole crowd (said that a black belt didn't guarentee beating multiple opponents, even though it can be done by someone trained in the martial arts)

Among some other sections of this particular issue, there were also:

An amusing letter sent in that basically called for a martial arts videogame where all the martial arts legends could be played against eachother. But here's the killer: "Imagine Bruce Lee taking on Jet Li, or Jackie Chan going against any one of the Gracies... just real, one-on-one, style versus style action...only the basic weapons would be available: tonfa, bo, nunchaku and kama...."

The news item "Steven Seagal to Release Blues Album"

A bullshido-ridden article about how Kung Fu schools are dispensing with traditional ways that are important, which include: Stances, Weaponry, Salutes/Bows, Terminology and Titles. The author argued that these things were important, and that getting rid of them is bad. I can see stances, but his arguments for everything else is just dumb. Bows are linked to asian culture, shouldn't be replaced by handshakes even though we live in the west... weapons teach lots of useful things like... nothing (he didn't have any real arguments for this one)... Terminology/titles have distinct levels of meaning in the original languages and show respect, and shouldn't be discarded... etc.

To be fair, though, there were two good articles, one about MMA takedown setups, and one about the JKD straight lead, that were pretty nice. Plus a Fightsport section with some Gokor armlocks that were pretty good. But all in all, it reminded me of Bullshido moreso than it usually does, which says a lot.
    Nice read the fact is I used to care about the belt ranking system then i woke the **** up and realized how much bullshit politicking is involved to get one. When you take a look around especially some of the fighters in Europe who are BJJ brownbelts because there not Brazilian yet there subbing out blackbelts it's a load of horsecrap. You have to go seminars and help them peddle there wares so they can pad there bank accounts. In the USA the only white guy that's been treated fairly is Matt Serra. Renzo even helped him a ton with his school in Long Island. The rest of it is crap= care about a belt if you must. The problem is having a BB doesnt equate to being a badass fighter. Getting a blackbelt because you were a kissass dont mean **** imho. Whatever i liked the part about JFS being a serene dude and **** muhahaha JFS man that dude is still getting a ton of attention at bullshido:sex:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 10:14am

Style: Isshin-ryu Karate-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Zarella
    Nice read the fact is I used to care about the belt ranking system then i woke the **** up and realized how much bullshit politicking is involved to get one. When you take a look around especially some of the fighters in Europe who are BJJ brownbelts because there not Brazilian yet there subbing out blackbelts it's a load of horsecrap. You have to go seminars and help them peddle there wares so they can pad there bank accounts. In the USA the only white guy that's been treated fairly is Matt Serra. Renzo even helped him a ton with his school in Long Island. The rest of it is crap= care about a belt if you must. The problem is having a BB doesnt equate to being a badass fighter. Getting a blackbelt because you were a kissass dont mean **** imho. Whatever i liked the part about JFS being a serene dude and **** muhahaha JFS man that dude is still getting a ton of attention at bullshido:sex:
    This guy is absolutely right. Rank does not matter at all There was a seminar once hosted by a tough Kung Fu school whose instructor was a old friend of the guy giving the seminar. The guy giving the seminar was a 50 year old former US Marine. He was going to cover basic mechanics of punching ...simple stuff.

When the seminar started, the marine stepped out onto the floor wearing a white belt. One of the Kung Fu students, a pretty tough-looking young man of about 25 years was put off a little by the white belt. He asked, a little disrespectfully, "So, do we call you ... sensei or what?"

To answer him, the marine called him out on the floor and told him to take his best shot. Which the Kung Fu guy did. The Marine simply stepped off angle and hit him with a straight punch. It knocked the Kung Fu guy on his ass. You could tell it hurt him, he was pretty slow getting up.

The marine then walked over to his bag, took off his white belt, got out his black belt and tied it on. He went back out on the floor where the Kung Fu guy had finally gotten back up on his feet and told him to try again. The Kung Fu guy tried another approach, and the marine shifted to a different angle, but the result was the same.

The marine reached down and helped him up from the floor. Then he said "You can call me whatever the hell you want, just remember that I can hit just as hard with my black belt on as I can with my white belt on. " The Kung Fu guy said "Yes, Sir." From then on it was a great seminar.

Everyone respected that guy for the whole seminar...no matter which belt he had on. We found out later he was wearing the white belt out of respect for his friend because it was a Kung Fu school and his "rank" was not in Kung Fu.

First, the Kung Fu guy, and then a little later, I became that marines' student.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 2:53am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the USA the only white guy that's been treated fairly is Matt Serra.
    What the hell are you talking about? There are plenty of white guys with BJJ black belts in the US.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 5:41am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are far more American BJJ faxia pretas than Matt Serra alone that have been well served by their instructors. I personally know about four of them. Creating a racial issue out of this is just really fucking stupid, given as every skin shade under the sun can be found in Brazil.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 6:02am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bull Shaw is the Alliance token white guy. We keep him around strictly for a better credit score and in case the cops show up. It takes a nation of millions to hold him back.
    Last edited by Locu5; 4/04/2006 6:04am at .
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314