Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 10:30pm

Style: JKD Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Correct form for muay thai striking

I'm being taught that a punch, elbow, knee and kick almost always start the same way in MT so as not to telegraph the strike being performed. I'm also told that a good leg kick can be performed from punching range, with kicking leg slightly bent, kicking through the target with a strong pivot on the base leg . My problem? I can't generate power for **** from close range to connect with much force from my shin. I find myself stepping back to generate a good swing.

Does anyone have any good drills and training techniques for powerful close-range thai kicks?
    Last edited by PorkFat; 11/08/2005 10:38pm at .

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 10:46pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Practice.

You're probably not keeping your center mass low and through the hips, thereby carrying too much weight and momentum to the base leg. Make sure you're getting a good pivot as well.
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 10:57pm

Style: JKD Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should I really be generating enough power to completely turn around should I miss? Also, since our training is mixed I wear wrestling shoes on the mats. Would it be better to practice kicking with shoes that aren't so sticky on bare floors to promote a good pivot?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 11:17pm

Style: TKD, Long Fist, Praying M

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In muay thai the kicking power comes from extreme hip rotation. in close range kicks chambering of the leg is important.

So without seeing a vid of your close range kick I cannot tell if the lack of power is due to lack of hip rotation or lack of strength in your legs to chamber and hold the leg through the arc of the kick.

If it is hip rotation, that can usually be correct by twisting your shoulders with the kick, until you get comfortable openning up your hips independent of shoulder position.

If it a leg strength issue, I would recommend holding onto a wall/chair and practice the motion slowly 10 rep at a time for 10 sets.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 12:30am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like you're making the mistake of trying to generating power with your forward momentum, like a soccer kick. That's probably why you're finding yourself wanting to step backward, to give yourself enough room to generate some forward momentum. You need to step forward, land flatfooted, pivot and rotate up onto the balls of your feet, 90 degrees from your initial foot placement. The foot pivot, up and around, is the key to opening up your hips.

Some people will tell you to simply step out, to the side, but that's wrong. That's still the same forward momentum of a soccer kick, except that now you're planting your foot in a rotated position, and hoping that your hips will follow. That isn't quick enough, it doesn't allow you to throw a proper jab, and will leave you vulnerable to tearing an ACL. Do that and you'll never be able to land a proper jab-round house kick combination, because stepping out, to the side, negates the power in your jab.

When you get better, in time, you'll be able to step forward, throw a jab that rotates your foot 90 degrees one way, then rotate your foot 180 degrees in the opposite direction, to generate a huge amount of power in your round house kick.

Good luck.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 9:24am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat
    Should I really be generating enough power to completely turn around should I miss? Also, since our training is mixed I wear wrestling shoes on the mats. Would it be better to practice kicking with shoes that aren't so sticky on bare floors to promote a good pivot?
    1) No, turning all the way around on a short range leg kick is unlikely.
    2) Yes, lose the shoes until you get better at MT kicking. If you are wearing shoes and think there may be a problem there probably is. I'm guessing you aren't getting up on your toes and pivoting your heel toward the target.

Short range power is hard in MT because it feels different from the big windups you've been doing on the heavy bag. But the basic priinciples should be the same. Hip torque and follow through are what will let you kick hard. Make sure your weight is dropping into the kick and your are focusing on kicking through your partners leg. I always imagine I am kicking right through to the inside of the other leg.

PS to the people that will say "I kick fine in wrestling shoes" I'm betting you already know how to kick so STFU

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 9:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And on a low kick, NEVER kick upwards, always straight in or downwards.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 9:59am

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless your kicking one of those annoying miniature dogs, in which case, kick up so it goes far and hopefully lands in traffic.
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 10:50am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good tips. Just to reinforce some of those points, ensure that your hips flip over, and aren't still facing forward/up. At close range you probably will want to chop the kick downward. It should NOT go in an upward pendulum arc. Open up your hips, twist, hips flip, leg whips. That should pretty much be consistent at any range.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, if you post a vid, we can give better tips.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast