Administrator

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 3:24am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Pay the 200 bucks and get the tax stamp so you can have a real uzi barrel instead of that ugly 16 inch thing :P
    I just got the damn thing. Truth be told, I got it on a whim, just to say I own one. I was gonna pimp it out and get the drum mag for it, laser, etc. and just said **** it. I put maybe 10 rounds through it and have had my friends fire it more than I have.

All my money go to my Bushmaster AR15's. To which I paid my stamp for my silencer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 3:42am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If this is your first pistol I'd buy a 9mm. After owning many pistols I prefer Glocks but I think any of the higher-end pistols are fine (HK, etc.). The one thing I'll say about Glocks is that they always fire when you pull the trigger and will reliably feed all sorts of crappy ammo. To date my 9mm and .45 have never had a jam occur after thousands of rounds. I find it incredible that this reliability has been achieved and thought it was a fluke but many other Glock owners report similar stories.

Also, the Glock is the most "revolver like" of the semi-auto pistols. The safeties are all internal so all the operator needs to worry about is pulling the trigger. I'm not a huge fan of external safeties on pistols. I think they encourage, ironically, unsafe gun handling habits and could interfere with operation when under pressure.

I owned a 1911 for a while. It was a good gun, but it was too finicky. I don't think self-defense weapons should be finicky so I sold it. However if you're into customizing your gun the 1911 is hard to beat, but again I think you can sacrifice reliability tweaking things too much so buyer beware.

As far as caliber goes, I own a .45 and a .9mm Glock. I owned a .40 for a while when they first came out but ended up selling it. The reason I prefer 9mm is availability. It's a NATO issue round and used by many police departments. If there is ever a time in this country when guns are outlawed or there is a national emergency you will always be able to find 9mm ammo. Some of the less-used calibers may be harder. I like the .45 because it is just a tried and true caliber with good availability as well.

It's the above reason why I also keep rifle calibers in .223 and a 12 gauge shotgun. I think it's a good idea if you're going to be buying guns to have a base of commonly available calibers.

Finally don't rule out a revolver. If you want simplicity in operation and great reliability it's hard to beat a revolver. They can take a tremendous amount of abuse and neglect and you'll still get six shots with one when you need it.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 3:49am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love it when british people come and tell americans how to live.

Last time that debate heated up in resulted in the inevitable decline of colonialism so I think lio should have a cup of tea and let it lie.

Lio if you want to have a gun control debate start a thread for it and I will go 'round with you till you are blue in the face.

For a first handgun I second the ruger. You can practice shooting a hell of a lot cheap, and they look cool and shoot straight.

If you only intend on ever buying one gun I would say get a glock .45 or a decent 1911. Browning also makes some decent nines if you would be willing to go with a nine. If you want a nine for SD I won't say it's a BAD choice per se but put some decent ammo in it.

I still say the size of a gun doesn't really matter for SD - any gun barrel looks like a rail tunnel from the front. When I got a .22 stuck in my face "It's just a .22" was not a thought in my brain.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 10:26am

Style: jjj, mma, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Orinally Posted by Anthony

In all seriousness, humans will kill each other no matter what reason. My ex business partner would tell me stories of knives, putting razors in their hats, in the collars of their jackets, etc etc...

Parts of England do sound worse than miami with no A/C.

Last week my friend told me about his friend from South Central LA who went to study in London. He said one night he saw some guy get kicked out of a pub and double glassed (one pint glass smashed into each side of the head at the same time). The south central guy literally said something along the lines of "**** this i'm outta here". He said how it was the worse thing he had ever seen done to a person and he lived in south central!

I told my friend that things like that would be extremely rare in the US because you just don't know who is packing.

UK violence is extreme

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 10:30am

Style: jjj, mma, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a side note, san francisco just passed a measure banning handguns in the city

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 10:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to your local range and rent a wide variety of pistols. See which one feels the best to you. If there are any you didn't get to try at least go to your local shop and test fit them. Important point here: the one you are most comfortable with will be the one that you shoot the best with.

Stay with major repectable manufacturers and the quality will be more than you need. Glock, HK, Sig and Beretta are great places to start.

If you are interested in punching holes in paper remember: 9mm ammo cost about 2/3 that of 40S&W. Heck if that's all you want to do drop <$300 on a nice Ruger Mark II in .22LR. You can plink for hours with $5 worth of ammo. If you get good and want to start winning Cokes from your friends at the range, <$10 gets you VERY good match ammo.

If by recreation shooting, you have a specific sport in mind, get the gear appropriate for that sport. Examples: bullseye shooting tends to favor 1911 style 45 cal (severely worked on) whereas in IPSC a high cap 40S&W would be a much better call.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 11:06am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai-Tenshi
    Liokault, you only hate guns because British people are no good at using them.

Now if this were a thread about tea pots, you'd be stammering like a school boy over your most thoughtful and ever so clever suggestions as to the the best brand to aquire.
    Every British made teapot I've every used dribbled when it poured, making a mess on the table.

If you want a good pot, you'll have to look for one from where they really know about tea: China. :smile:

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Every British made teapot I've every used dribbled when it poured, making a mess on the table.

If you want a good pot, you'll have to look for one from where they really know about tea: China. :smile:
    Japan is a good second place if you're too cheap to go with the chinese.

I really like the way a S&w .357 Magnum feels. First Revolvers kick ass and it's got a nice weight, looks so badass and it's kick is not as bad as you'd think. For someone as small as me, it felt pretty good.

The sexiest gun though, has got to be a baby desert eagle.... actually now that I think of it, I'm wondering why some jackass hasn't suggested a Desert Eagle yet? Anyhow, I really like the baby deagle. It looks so sexy and it comes in a wide range of calibers. Course, I would get two if I had my choice, one 9mm and one .45.

They're so customizable and look even better.

Mmmm... yummy.

Moron

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 11:28am

Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Yeah, I'm not sure why they cant fix that. Anyway, all you need to know about tea is:

Pyramid bags....milk goes in last.

I challenge anyone to find a a murder carried out with a tea related implement!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 11:36am

Style: wing chun, muay thai, KB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In all seriousness I saw the post where you had the three choices.

The ruger and the smith ... eh. Some love them, some don't. I am pretty neutral on them. I'd rely on one if its all I had, but Sig, Glock, HK, and others are tops, but with tops comes $$$$.

Out of the three I would definitely recommend the walther. I own a P99QA in Titanium in .40S&W. I love this gun. It fits very well (especially with the interchangeable backstrap, it comes with three for different sized hands). It snaps a little in .40 but not to bad. Carries 10 rounds of .40 (if you need more than that, you've done something wrong)

So highly recommend that one.

IF you don't mind a used gun, (its not like they wear out ) then look there to save some bucks.

I bought a police trade in of a Sig 226 in 9mm. I think if I remember correctly picked it up for $450 out the door. It shoots like a dream. I love this little handgun.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast