Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 9:18am

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Macistani
    **** dude, I love a good stickfight as much as the next wannabe, but if you're fighting someone with something heavier than light rattan (like say, a lead pipe) then that ****'s fucked up and requires massive amounts of get-the-****-out-fu.

Seriously, I cannot possibly envision a scenario where you would just happen to have a tonfa and you're attacked by someone with a lead pipe.

Let's look at the possibilities:

1) You carry the tonfa everywhere just in case you're attacked by someone with a lead pipe. This makes me think you're a total nutter with delusions of paranoia.

2) You plan on being attacked at home by someone with a lead pipe. This is equally fucked up because surely you can find a better weapon for home defense than a tonfa. WTF?

3) You're trying to justify buying high quality weapons, when in reality, you have no real no need to own them. If this is the case, which I suspect it is...take if from me, someone who has dorkgasms over antique filipino swords -- there's no NEED to own a high quality version. However, spending your cash on this is no worse than spending it on any other luxery item.

I agree with the run-fu conclusion. However, this is mostly for stylistic purposes. I just want something functional that I train with to use incase of realistic necessity.

So you're saying:

1) I'm nutz. Well I'm not. I'm not one prone to fight fantasy. Its dangerous to get into that mindset.

2) Not the case. Well armed at home. Noisy chemical propelled weapons.

3) I am going to get a normal pair for practice, but I am looking for a higher quality for actual use and something fun and different to practice with...and show off a little....and yes I have little dorkgasams too. Just not over MA stuff.

Well, I wasn't being specific on the lead pipe thing. Yes, I am not too worried about home defense But I do keep sticks in my car, and have had to brandish them against a guy who had a ballbat in his truck. Those little rattan sticks aren't going to take much impact from a ballbat if I have to throw them up there to take a few shots.

We do train to defend against ballbats, lead pipes, beer bottles, knives, machettes, axes, short swords,.. even ball point pens. I was just trying to add something a little different to the mix.

Thanks

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog
    If you really want to see some hardcore applications for the tonfa, check out the "mai sok" in krabi krabong. Salty Dog of the Dog Brothers has fought with them at Gatherings and used them quite effectively, IIRC.
    On a related note, there is a fighter looking for opponents for this coming Gathering (11/20/05), who wants to fight with mai soks. If he finds an opponent, it promises to be an interesting fight. If he can get into corto range, the mai soks are more than capable of ending the fight. I'll report post-Gathering to let you know how/if the mai sok fight went.

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 2:04pm

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog
    On a related note, there is a fighter looking for opponents for this coming Gathering (11/20/05), who wants to fight with mai soks. If he finds an opponent, it promises to be an interesting fight. If he can get into corto range, the mai soks are more than capable of ending the fight. I'll report post-Gathering to let you know how/if the mai sok fight went.

Aloha, Poi

Awesome! I looked up the mai sok and krabi krabong...little different than what I was thinkin'. But they look cool...like some sort of ultra evil forearm guard. Love to hear how it went.

BTW, saw a video of CraftyDog doing a demonstration in Germany. I love how practicality is emphasized.

Thanks again.

Posted On:
    11/17/2005 8:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OMG. I'd never heard of a 'mai sok' before, and only vaugely of Krabi Krabong....but DAMN that thing is kickass!
    Last edited by Neildo; 11/17/2005 8:37pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12