Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 10:17am

Style: wingtsun/ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey thanks for all this great advice! I'm a striker turning into a grappler, and I'm sure I have much to learn. I should work more from the bottom.

Ok, last night I had him in the guard (my legs were barely able to get around his waist, he's built like a big football player) and he was just laying on me trying to push his elbows across my throat & chest (shifting back and forth depending on my movements). I could not move his arms (too heavy) so I thought I could slip.The moment I'd try to slip, he'd quickly readjust and we'd be back to square one. He couldn't choke me but just him pushing his elbows on me was draining, and he wasn't trying any moves that were much dedicated to throw him off balance, I think he was happy with just crushing me there. In a way I felt pinned. Hmm!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 10:17am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been said already, but it bears repeating: Keep moving. Do not become fixated on any one submission. Be prepared to -- while one step away from finishing -- give up everything in order to reposition and maintain your maximum degree of balance and control. And then do it again and again.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 10:28am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Open your guard and get to work.

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 10:43am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ruvidan
    Hey all! I have a question to the experienced groundfighters out there. When you are up and going against someone who is overwhelmingly bigger and stronger than you, what are some general tactics that you use?

I was sparring this big dude yesterday (probably about 80 lbs over me) and I couldn't budge him. Even when I go for the armbars, I would just kind of hmmmm dangle there, haaha, could not move him. Seemed like the moment I would try for a move, he could easily flip me over and get it over with. I know it's about technique as well, but I couldn't manipulate him much at all, couldn't move 1 of his arms with both of mine. He has good balance as well, and is alot stronger than me. I'm just wondering what you guys have used that has helped you against much bigger and stronger opponents? I'm assuming I'll have to be mobile like crazy but he is pretty fast too. Thanks!
    So are you training grappling anywhere or just on your own?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 10:51am

Style: wingtsun/ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, mostly training on my own. At the dojo I go to, it is about 90% strikes/takedowns and 10% grappling techniques. We take it to the ground and work on a few things, but I wanted to take it further on my own. Thanks everyone, this helps out alot!

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Train more, More chokes, Better position. Train more.
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 11:29am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The principles of dealing with a heavy opponent aren't any different from the general principles of good technique, they just require a much stricter adherence because you are dealing with more weight. That being said, I think the single thing that is most helpful to keep in your mind was already said by someone; focus on moving yourself around your opponent, not on moving your opponent. For example, if he passing, you don't try to push him back, you push your own hips out and make space that way.

Like I said, this isn't something that applies specifically to big people, it's just a part of good technique in general. But rolling with bigger people will force you to pay attention to it, whereas you might get away with doing things the wrong way with people your own size. In that sense, I think it's good to get in a lot of training with bigger people.
    Last edited by MuKen; 11/08/2005 11:32am at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All good advice, but the bottom line is that you have to get good coaching and put in the time.

It's only through blood and sweat that we become good grapplers. There is no quick fix. Nothing anybody tells you on this forum will be an adequate subsitiute to actual time and effort invested on the mat.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    All good advice, but the bottom line is that you have to get good coaching and put in the time.

It's only through blood and sweat that we become good grapplers. There is no quick fix. Nothing anybody tells you on this forum will be an adequate subsitiute to actual time and effort invested on the mat.
    Quote Originally Posted by locu5
    More mat time to develop better technique. A good coach can help.
    Ergo, BJJ wins again.

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 12:10pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amen to that lawdog.

It sounds like you could also use a coach who focuses more grappling. It's one thing being vaguely aquainted with some techniques, it's another if you've actually used them thousands of times. This holds true for both students and instructors. Make sure your instructor is of the latter category, or they won't have much to offer you. Learn from other people's experience. It'll go faster than if you try discovering everything on your own.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast