Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 2:08am

Style: LOL GUN FU TEEHEE

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

limited equipment home workout

This is the amount of training equipment I have and use at home.

Two 10 pound leg weights, straps broken.

Any ideas on how to get the most effective strength training out of this? I'm really shrimpy and have been looking for a way to bulk up since freshmen year, but there's not one gym in a reasonable driving distance from our house and our YMCA is poor.

I do lots of pushups, the only problem is I only seem to be bulking up on one dimension. Meaning from behind, my arms look shrinpy. From the side... still shrimpy, but a few promising bumps.

I also do that exercise where you hold weights in both hands, arms straight down at your sides, then lift your arms straight out horizontally, then lower them slowly again. This exercise hurts like hell after only 40 reps, and it doesn't seem to be working.

I also do crunches holding weights near my head, but if anything my gut is sticking out more now that I've started doing those.

Does anyone have any resourceful exercise routines they can do at home without any kind of real equipment?

**** you math class

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 2:51am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a calf and carry it on your back every day. When it grows you can kill it and eat it.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 3:13am

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find a bar or tree branch(before I discovered THEY MADE CHIN UP BARS), strap on the weights, and pull yourself into pure shoulder hell.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

zombies are coming

You could setup a pulley system and create your own zombie workout machine:

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 12:29pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you can't afford a basic bench and weight set?

Sears has a 100lb weider set for $72, though you will find yourself soon buying more weights. A bench can be found for cheaper. If you can afford the weight set, but no bench, you could still be doing military presses, bent-over rows, upright rows, curls etc. After some more weight you can add in deadlifts.
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 12:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinigami
    This is the amount of training equipment I have and use at home.

Two 10 pound leg weights, straps broken.

Any ideas on how to get the most effective strength training out of this? I'm really shrimpy and have been looking for a way to bulk up since freshmen year, but there's not one gym in a reasonable driving distance from our house and our YMCA is poor.

I do lots of pushups, the only problem is I only seem to be bulking up on one dimension. Meaning from behind, my arms look shrinpy. From the side... still shrimpy, but a few promising bumps.

I also do that exercise where you hold weights in both hands, arms straight down at your sides, then lift your arms straight out horizontally, then lower them slowly again. This exercise hurts like hell after only 40 reps, and it doesn't seem to be working.

I also do crunches holding weights near my head, but if anything my gut is sticking out more now that I've started doing those.

Does anyone have any resourceful exercise routines they can do at home without any kind of real equipment?

How cheap are you?
    I mean, you don't wanna spend any money?

Multi Pass

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Currently none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PO9
    you can't afford a basic bench and weight set?

Sears has a 100lb weider set for $72, though you will find yourself soon buying more weights. A bench can be found for cheaper. If you can afford the weight set, but no bench, you could still be doing military presses, bent-over rows, upright rows, curls etc. After some more weight you can add in deadlifts.
    Go to garage sales. That's where people get rid of last year's resolutions for a song. Inexpensive, barely used weight sets are often available, along with other equipment.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 3:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 4:34pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sympathize with your cheapo situation. You can do a lot of stuff with just body weight and some heavy stuff lying around though.

Dips between 2 chairs for tricep tagerting and 3 for more of a chest workout. Add weight on thighs to increase difficulty.

Chin ups/Pull ups on a low, but sturdy tree branch. You can throw a towel over the top of a sturdy door and do pullups on that too. Or just buy a bar for a few dollars.

One-legged squats are great if done with proper form. Not only do they help with strength, but also work balance. Just hold a dictionary or a heavy book to make it harder...you don't need too much weight to make it a tough exercise.

Handstand push-ups are quite the shoulder workout. One-armed push-ups will kill your chest the first time you try them (unless you're already in great shape).

You can pretty easily make a wrist roller with a stick, some rope (or an old belt) and some reasonably light weight.

There is a lot of stuff you can do with very little... Hate to pimp out an old thread of mine, but http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19346 has a lot of links to good sites. Also check out http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/index.htm for some good ideas on being a cheapskate. I've "built" a medicine ball and put together a grappling dummy thanks to that site.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz
    I sympathize with your cheapo situation. You can do a lot of stuff with just body weight and some heavy stuff lying around though.

Dips between 2 chairs for tricep tagerting and 3 for more of a chest workout. Add weight on thighs to increase difficulty.

Chin ups/Pull ups on a low, but sturdy tree branch. You can throw a towel over the top of a sturdy door and do pullups on that too. Or just buy a bar for a few dollars.

One-legged squats are great if done with proper form. Not only do they help with strength, but also work balance. Just hold a dictionary or a heavy book to make it harder...you don't need too much weight to make it a tough exercise.

Handstand push-ups are quite the shoulder workout. One-armed push-ups will kill your chest the first time you try them (unless you're already in great shape).

You can pretty easily make a wrist roller with a stick, some rope (or an old belt) and some reasonably light weight.

There is a lot of stuff you can do with very little... Hate to pimp out an old thread of mine, but http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19346 has a lot of links to good sites. Also check out http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/index.htm for some good ideas on being a cheapskate. I've "built" a medicine ball and put together a grappling dummy thanks to that site.
    Great post, and that geocities website is great. Once I get settled after my move, I'll be working on a few of those projects.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast