Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2005 8:36pm

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Please Flame/Critique My Craptacular TKD Sparring Match (Video Included!!!)

So... I travel all the way to Winnipeg (about 8 hours from my home town) for a competition where I get one lousy match and lose.

My opponent did win however, and basically owned the rest of his competition (multiple knockdowns w/ back kicks), and I figure this match was at least close, so if I didn't fight him first I might have at least got a silver. But I didn't... so it's more a "It's ok, you don't suck too horribly" pep talk to myself.

I'm in red... and if you like back kicks, I threw about 8,367 of em, where maybe 2 landed. Dissapointing.

Here's the link. Enjoy.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JE051K4L

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    11/07/2005 12:26am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Downloading vid now, props for posting it. Will give comments when I see it.
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    11/07/2005 1:09am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pissed that I didn't go see a KK one-match tonight so I'm hoping that someone else taped-it!But from what i gather from your vid you were weak.

Weight training and cardio-workout will do wonders to your sparring.Be more agressif if you can whenever you can when sparring in your dojang and at tournaments.

Also,look at other styles fighting techniques and use what you want and what wont get you disqualified.

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    11/07/2005 1:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, your chin was up the whole time. What's up with that? It's a kinda risky habit to keep. Aside from what Os said, good back kick around the 36s mark. You need to get sharper, looks like you were hesitating a lot. Throwing back kicks means you have to have your reactions drilled and drilled over and over again so it's not a conscious effort. Plus you look a little heavy on your feet, you probably could have taken advantage of the other guy because he didn't look very coordinated. He threw a really shocking turning roundhouse that a decent fighter would be ashamed to use. You're needing some flexibility in your left leg, because you're leaning back a whole lot every time you throw it, which weakens your follow-up.
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/07/2005 1:16am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take it aggressive blocking is against the rules in TKd (shin checking, elbow checking)?
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    11/07/2005 1:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not. It's a wonder why more people don't do it.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/07/2005 1:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that would be a serious help. I mean throughout that video the two fighters just ate pretty much every kick without even attempting any sort of block
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    11/07/2005 1:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aggressive blocking just isn't taught in TKD. Unlike a lot of other competitive martial arts WTF TKD is geared to one thing and one thing only: speed. It's completely single minded in this regard, and it's pretty much the same everywhere. A lot of the stuff that could be vital in a match get left out, so you don't even develop a well-rounded base until you've done the art for a fair amount of time. Things like checking, proper blocking and good, solid footwork aren't really developed a whole lot, so you kinda end up being able to throw a really quick roundhouse kick, and that's it. Not a whole lot on defence aside from throwing a real quick back kick. That's pretty much the answer to everything; if you're getting hit, you should be hitting back rather than defending, or ideally you should be hitting first. So you go back to drilling even more speed.

In most other martial arts you'll be learning combinations and defences, to gear you towards being able to hold your own while being able to dish it out. Since the hogu provides more than adequate defence, this kinda falls away so defence is replaced by even more kicking.
    Last edited by lifetime; 11/07/2005 1:59am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2005 1:57am

Style: Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of those kicks looked like the attacker was off balance and struggling to get height on them to reach the other guys chest, let alone the head. Were you guys both wearing black belts? I hope it's the shitty quality of my monitor 'cus if you're wearing a BB you should be a LOT sharper with those techniques.

Chest to chest and the guy in blue goes for a spinning back kick at one point? WTF?

When the ref restarts you guys you both put your hands "up" and then drop them below the belt when you fight...what's the point if putting them up if you're not going to keep them up?

Arms flailing all over the place when throwing kicks?

Losing balance when the kicks connect? What's with that? I guess it's a point sparring thing.

To me that looked like a couple of yellow belts (at best orange belts) going at it.

Total respect for putting the vid up and you'd probably kick my ass due to a three year break from training but that's not saying much because my stand-up sucks ass at the moment.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/07/2005 2:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    Aggressive blocking just isn't taught in TKD. Unlike a lot of other competitive martial arts WTF TKD is geared to one thing and one thing only: speed. It's completely single minded in this regard, and it's pretty much the same everywhere. A lot of the stuff that could be vital in a match get left out, so you don't even develop a well-rounded base until you've done the art for a fair amount of time. Things like checking, proper blocking and good, solid footwork aren't really developed a whole lot, so you kinda end up being able to throw a really quick roundhouse kick, and that's it. Not a whole lot on defence aside from throwing a real quick back kick. That's pretty much the answer to everything; if you're getting hit, you should be hitting back rather than defending, or ideally you should be hitting first. So you go back to drilling even more speed.

In most other martial arts you'll be learning combinations and defences, to gear you towards being able to hold your own while being able to dish it out. Since the hogu provides more than adequate defence, this kinda falls away so defence is replaced by even more kicking.
    That seems odd though, since I would think learning these things would improve your game even for TKD point sparring... or do blocked attacks still count for points? At least good footwork would seem to be beneficial. I mean, olympic style boxing is still very point based fighting and yet the footwork and defense is fantastic.

EDIT: my point being, I'd think things that were practiced competitively would evolve in a way to make them the most effective within the context of the competition
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast