Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 9:10am

Style: wingtsun/ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

groundfighting tactics vs. heavier people?

Hey all! I have a question to the experienced groundfighters out there. When you are up and going against someone who is overwhelmingly bigger and stronger than you, what are some general tactics that you use?

I was sparring this big dude yesterday (probably about 80 lbs over me) and I couldn't budge him. Even when I go for the armbars, I would just kind of hmmmm dangle there, haaha, could not move him. Seemed like the moment I would try for a move, he could easily flip me over and get it over with. I know it's about technique as well, but I couldn't manipulate him much at all, couldn't move 1 of his arms with both of mine. He has good balance as well, and is alot stronger than me. I'm just wondering what you guys have used that has helped you against much bigger and stronger opponents? I'm assuming I'll have to be mobile like crazy but he is pretty fast too. Thanks!

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 9:18am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More mat time to develop better technique. A good coach can help.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 9:21am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try to stay on top by being dynamic. I can usually float around on top until I get a shot at a RNC. Some people can work form their guard with bigger guys, I personally haven't had much luck with that. Escapes and trying to get to their back has always been my best bet with real big guys.

Obviously the caveat is when skill is = and they are bigger/stronger. Typically you are screwed at that point IMO.

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 9:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hard work is the key, that and adhering to the most basic of principles:
    Softness, go with the big guy, you can't match his strength and size, so you must flow with his moves and counters, you try for an arm bar and he pulles you over, try to sneak in an omoplata , he counters, try a triangle, use his initial resistence to move from one move to another, put yourself into position, DON'T try to put him into it.
    Rely of technique and speed, you see the available move, from the right position, snap it on.
    Don't try to force anything.
    GO with it.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 9:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Move move move. Never stay still when on top. Kese, side, mount. rinse repeat. Don't let him get a good grip. Look for openings for a RNC or arm triangle when he tries to turtle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 9:39am

Style: wingtsun/ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right on, that's some great advice. I'm sure I need to do more matwork to where some of these moves come without second thought. And you're right, when I'm grapplig on top, I feel like I have more control, but when I'm on bottom, I was getting dominatred, heh. I'll try to soften it up and see what happens. Thanks! I think I was trying to muscle him too much.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 9:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muscling is never correct, much less against someone stronger. Relax, breathe, flow.

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 9:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ruvidan
    Right on, that's some great advice. I'm sure I need to do more matwork to where some of these moves come without second thought. And you're right, when I'm grapplig on top, I feel like I have more control, but when I'm on bottom, I was getting dominatred, heh. I'll try to soften it up and see what happens. Thanks! I think I was trying to muscle him too much.

The fact that you feel that you have less control on the bottom would be more reason to work from there as much as you can.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 9:57am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin is spot on.

Another tip from me (BJJ n00b) would be to accept that certain moves may not be technically possible.

I've grappled against a guy who outweighed me by 110lbs, and he was built like a football player, very broad torso and shoulders. I'm 5'8, ~170, and I was completely unable to get a triangle choke on him. His body was so wide that I couldn't connect my feet well enough to cinch in the choke. The only submissions I could get in on him were RNC, armbar, and kimura. When I went for the kimura from mount, he would reach over to defend by holding his wrist. I would immediately go for the other wrist and go for the arm bar. It was about 50-50 that he could muscle his arm out of my grip before I got a foot in there to break that hold.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 9:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kimura is always an option... so many setups, available from so many positions...
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast